Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Two Worlds II DLC - now with multiplayer and microtransactions!

flyingjohn

Arcane
Hey guess what guys?
We added micro transactions and disabled console commands.

Also we haven't changed anything even though we advertised new graphical and engine features.
We would have also added a fuck you note to every player who bought this but marketing said no.

Last edited by a moderator:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
:/ As long as TW3 is good... I think they have it in them to make a good game, eventually. Maybe it is like that thing about giving a typewriter to a thousand monkeys. Eventually they will type a good book.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reddit rage: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/6hlbto/topware_interactive_has_added_microtransactions/

Topware Interactive has added Microtransactions to Two Worlds II (self.pcgaming)

submitted 1 day ago * by thepostaldud3

Final edit: I have had a 1 on 1 conversation with the dev that is on the steam forums. Dev to dev. He has said they are going ahead and readding the console commands completely.

I'm not sure how many actually enjoy these games (I do!!!!) but something evil has happened today.

Topware released a new DLC for Two Worlds II after 6 long years of nothing. Yay! New Two Worlds II content. I cannot wait!

Oh how i wish i could have waited. They added a microtransaction store into the game. Disabled all console commands that could be labeled as "Cheats" or whatever you can buy now in the store. I am severely disappointed as this is a game i paid for and always fucked around with the console commands when not doing a "serious" play through.

But now i have to open up my wallet to do something i could previously do for free. Something as simple as a console command to spawn a horse when your own horse bugs out into oblivion? Nope. Or maybe a quest item didn't spawn correctly and is unobtainable? I'll just spawn it with conso- wait that doesn't work anymore.

Sorry for the rant. Two Worlds is one of my favorite RPG series and to see Topware do this is really fucked up. Figured i would let others know since most people on the steam forums aren't mentioning it at all. (Well, besides me bringing it up in a post which i am sure is deleted by now)

Here are some images from the store within the game. One of them is even "witty" if you would even call it that. (Hint: It's the money one!)

http://imgur.com/a/k8kD7

EDIT:

JIM FUCKING STERLING IS ON THE CASE. EXPECT VIDEO TODAY.

EDIT 2:

JIM'S VIDEO IS LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv0pmF5rAI0

This is one of the most strangest shit i've ever seen in gaming. I mean, adding microtransactions in a 6 years old singleplayer game that was not even popular back then?

Aparently this is the reason the dev stated on the Steam forums discussions.

tlc9pzu.png

:lol:

Explorerbc

Arcane
:negative:

This thing is just bizzare. Why would they bother to add microtransactions and a season pass after all these years. A few hardcore fans are the only ones probably still playing this. I know they said in an interview that while TW3 preproduction is happening they need something to occupy and train the junior devs but this all seems like a waste.

I don't think Two Worlds 3 will happen. The second game was still rough around the edges but it was a great improvement at least technologically over the first one, a sign that the studio was evolving and moving towards a more AAA status. And then Topware dumped that unfinished Raven's Cry clusterfuck on their heads, they canceled their other concepts like Sacrilegium and now they are releasing DLC in 10 years old dated tech. It feels like they lost their momentum. Maybe CDprojekt did indeed snatch all their good talent.

It is sad because I really enjoyed the series but I don't see a bright future ahead for this studio. I'm just glad I got to play the games with the console still on.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
:negative:

This thing is just bizzare. Why would they bother to add microtransactions and a season pass after all these years. A few hardcore fans are the only ones probably still playing this. I know they said in an interview that while TW3 preproduction is happening they need something to occupy and train the junior devs but this all seems like a waste.

I don't think Two Worlds 3 will happen. The second game was still rough around the edges but it was a great improvement at least technologically over the first one, a sign that the studio was evolving and moving towards a more AAA status. And then Topware dumped that unfinished Raven's Cry clusterfuck on their heads, they canceled their other concepts like Sacrilegium and now they are releasing DLC in 10 years old dated tech. It feels like they lost their momentum. Maybe CDprojekt did indeed snatch all their good talent.

It is sad because I really enjoyed the series but I don't see a bright future ahead for this studio. I'm just glad I got to play the games with the console still on.

I agree. The first two games were kind of trashy, but they had so much HEART, that you even ended kinda liking the growly protagonist. They had all the ambition, but not the talent (best example is how the story ended), but if you looked a bit, the world was full of nice little details. Oh well. But maybe they can still do something. They seem to be good in surviving the craziest shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-19-topware-two-worlds-2-microtransactions

TopWare responds to Two Worlds 2's sudden microtransactions update seven years after launch

Last week Two Worlds 2, a seven-year-old role-playing game, got an expansion. But the PC version got something else too, something unwanted: microtransactions.

In a new Marketplace section of the game's main menu - screenshots from a Reddit thread - were optional purchases for in-game skill books, materials, crystals, cards and money, each ranging in price from $0.50 to $2.

jpg

Image from Reddit.

jpg

Image from Reddit.

Exacerbating their surprise inclusion was the removal of the game's console commands - a place where you could type cheat codes and spawn exactly the kind of content now being sold - although they have since been reinstated.

Not before, however, the PC community could pummel Two Worlds 2's recent review average on Steam down to "Mostly Negative".

I asked TopWare for an explanation and vice president of business development, Dirk P. Hassinger, replied with a statement:

"With the 2.0 update for Two Worlds 2, we implemented some features from the Xbox 360 version to the Steam Version. At the time the game came out in 2010, Steam did not support features like achievements or in-game purchases, but Xbox Live did.

"For the DLC Call of the Tenebrae [the expansion], we made several improvements to the game engine and added features like achievements and a marketplace we took from the Xbox version. We decided to release this improvement as a free update to all owners of the main game, independent of if they have purchased the new DLC (which requires the engine update) or not.

"With the same update, the DRM for Two Worlds 2 has been removed as well as the developer console, but after some users asked us to put it back in, we re-activated the developer console for single-player. For multiplayer the console was never available, to avoid cheating.

"The in-game purchases are optional and not required to play the game - all items which are available for purchase can also be found in inside the game.

"From our seven years of experience with the Xbox 360 version we know that there are many users who like the possibility of purchasing items like healing potions and mana potions. Those who do not like it do not need to purchase anything - same as it is since release in 2010 for all Xbox 360 users.

"Two Worlds 2 is not Free2Play or Pay2Play. Everyone who owns the game has the full product with all features and the full gaming experience. The only special items not in the standard version can be found in the digital deluxe content, in some special editions or in the season pass. But these items are not available as in-game purchases."
To clarify, Hassinger told me the microtransactions in the Steam version are "exactly" the same as the microtransactions the Xbox 360 version had from day one.

The unexpected new content for Two Worlds 2 comes as TopWare works towards a new game in the series: Two Worlds 3 for release in 2019.

"Two Worlds 3 is in its concept stage," Hassinger added. "During the next half of the year we will release three more DLCs for Two Worlds 2 and make further updates. After this, the entire team will focus on Two Worlds 3."

He added: "The reason we keep working on a seven-year-old game and still release updates for it is that we want to keep the franchise we are so passionate about alive so we can introduce new members in our team to Two Worlds and keep the RPG topic fresh and interesting."

Original Two Worlds 2 developer Reality Pump is very different today, however.

"The Polish company Reality Pump Sp.z.o.o. went bankrupt in April 2015," Hassinger explained, "and the owner of this company - the German Publisher Zuxxez Entertainment AG went bankrupt in 2016. Now the team is under ownership of TopWare Interactive (AC Enterprises e.K.).

"At Reality Pump are people who have worked there since the '90s. Over the years of course some people left, but in the last year some new people joined, and under new ownership the studio is growing. Today in Krakow work around 30 people with 10 more supporting them (writers, composers). For Two Worlds 3 they work as the core team and most of the graphical assets will be outsourced."

Two Worlds 2 came out in 2011 here in the UK - 2010 in Europe (there were all kinds of release mix-ups).

"There is real innovation here," we wrote in our Two Worlds 2 review, "and there are some ballsy forays into game-styles that are way outside the standard tick-list of features for the genre, both online and off.

"There's also a great deal of absorbing content to enjoy, not to mention consistent, meaningful progression, creative quests, and empowering customisation systems that let you craft your own rewards from a plethora of resources. If you can live with the lo-fi elements, there's an awful lot to enjoy.

"I sincerely hope it does well enough to fund a bigger-budget sequel."

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
"The Polish company Reality Pump Sp.z.o.o. went bankrupt in April 2015," Hassinger explained, "and the owner of this company - the German Publisher Zuxxez Entertainment AG went bankrupt in 2016. Now the team is under ownership of TopWare Interactive (AC Enterprises e.K.).

"At Reality Pump are people who have worked there since the '90s. Over the years of course some people left, but in the last year some new people joined, and under new ownership the studio is growing. Today in Krakow work around 30 people with 10 more supporting them (writers, composers). For Two Worlds 3 they work as the core team and most of the graphical assets will be outsourced."
A lot of them are now at CD Projekt.

Also Topware is the shittest publisher ever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Standalone version released:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...e_Tenebrae__Stand_Alone_and_LaunchTrailer.php

Two Worlds 2: Call of the Tenebrae - Stand Alone and Launch Trailer

Karlsruhe 7/13/2017 - After a very welcomed and triumphant return, is it a pleasure for the teams from TopWare Interactive and Reality Pump to announce the release of “Two Worlds II: Call of the Tenebrae” Stand Alone.

Fans of the Two Worlds franchise were so excited about the release of this long awaited DLC, that the teams behind Call of the Tenebrae decided to release it as a stand alone, to give newcomers the chance to jump right into this one of a kind adventure.

For Two Worlds II Owners “ Call of the Tenebrae” is available as DLC for a special loyalty discount.

So if you want to take a look at an adventure that is like no other, then make sure to watch our epic in-game gameplay launch trailer on our Youtube channel.

About Two Worlds II: Call of the Tenebrae

A 20+ hours story campaign awaits veterans and newcomers in Antaloor. Adventurers seeking a legendary fantasy RPG will come across new locations, with exceptionally dense and realistic vegetation. Joined by familiar faces and new allies alike, players must unravel a genocidal plot that will destroy the harmony of Antaloor and leave its people and lands in ruins.

Battle your way through new lands and locations, from haunted graveyards and crypts, to dank swamps and dark forests swarming with vicious enemies and new merciless Bosses.

Sturdy new armor, stronger potions, and powerful, deadly weapons are at your disposal in your fight against the rat-like creatures known as “The Chosen”. Lots of achievements as well as fresh combat techniques and enemy behaviors will keep you guessing, as you fight to uncover a secret that will rock Antaloor to its core.

Welcome back to Two Worlds II!

"Fans of the Two Worlds franchise were so excited about the release of this long awaited DLC" lawl

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom