Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TheSentinel and Lacrymas role ITT

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Watches are unnecessary luxury items for sure, but then so is a lot of stuff that costs similar amounts of money. Quite a few people drive cars that are nicer than a five-year-old Toyota Corolla for example, even though that would be ample for their transportation needs. The price difference between a Camry and a Corolla amounts to a pretty nice watch, and the difference between a BMW and a Corolla amounts to a very nice watch. It's a matter of priorities. Which isn't to say that horology is necessarily an expensive pursuit -- you can find cool stuff for as low as tens of dollars on the vintage market, just pick your focus and go wild. Watches are also fun to tinker with, although that does take a certain amount of patience, learning, and some investment in tools. And if you absolutely have to have a new one that's a bit more interesting than a generic movement packaged in a fashion case, you're not entirely out of options.
watches retain or even grow in value over time, unlike most cars.

Prime Junta

watches retain or even grow in value over time, unlike most cars.

(Eh, whatever, let's continue talking watches...)

Most don't, and very few that cost less than around five grand new do. There are lots of pitfalls too -- buying new is generally not a good investment unless you know exactly what you're doing (read: manage to recognise and snag a coveted limited edition before it's sold out to everyone else trying to get one), and the vintage market is flooded with counterfeits, with the best ones impossible to tell apart from the originals without an open case, a loupe, and a side-by-side comparison with the real thing.

That said, a good-condition factory-certified big-name vintage watch is a fairly safe bet money-wise. And yeah, sometimes they do even go up on value, depending on vagaries of fashion and stupid -- or smart -- decisions by the maker.

tl;dr don't buy cheap, don't buy new, and don't buy from eBay

Quillon

Arcane
Another E3 write-up in Italian but nothing new: http://www.gamesoul.it/e3-2017/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-anteprima-e3-2017/

Talks about NPC scheduling a bit. They'll move on with their lives when we're not there etc. Wonder if this extends to world map? "Persistent" ships roaming the seas in realtime that we should only encounter if we're lucky/unlucky?

Btw. are there too few coverage this time around than what was for PoE1 in 2014? There are like 3 write-ups.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The nostalgia and, perceived by the media, old-fashioned curiosity that were the Kickstarted RPGs have worn off and nobody in those circles cares anymore.

Prime Junta

The nostalgia and, perceived by the media, old-fashioned curiosity that were the Kickstarted RPGs have worn off and nobody in those circles cares anymore.

20847.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
Probably some press embargo or overworked journalists.

If there was an embargo, it should have applied to all? f.i. Eurogamer who reports the second if Obs have lay offs has no article for Deadfire@e3 yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162044770781/das-derzeit-schwarmfinanzierte-pathfinder

Google Translate said:
The current swarm funded Pathfinder: Kingmaker will (Baldur's Gate I and II as) will offer a more demanding Storage / breaks mechanics, in which the area in which you open camp (or anchor casts), plays an important role. If you are in "dangerous area" is the chance correspondingly higher to be surprised by highwaymen or the local fauna in their sleep. Is something like that planned for PoE II (eg exclusively on POTD-difficulty)?

No. We do not use random mechanics for rest breaks. If you only play with the Trial of Iron mode, random mechanism can possibly be fun. The mechanism is weak without Trial of Iron because it is easy to recharge. for example, "Oh! I have a group of robbers found! "* Invites game *" shit! A dragon found me! "* Invites game *" Damn! Mercenaries ?! "* invites game *" No opponents. Finally. Thank God."

If this rule is to schwerig, it's frustrating. The frustration can be good, but only in the Trial of Iron mode. If you can reload a game, it's just annoying.

Our respite mechanism uses food to heal injuries and to bonuses (I do not know whether this word is correct for games) to give. You can often take a rest, but the best food is expensive or rare. If you are to rest too often, you fight sooner or later with lower bonuses.

lol "invites".

Quillon

Arcane
Wonder at which stage he's at

He should be hating his life if I'm to be fabulously optimistic.

Efe

Erudite
it certainly feels unreliable. there is a reason most players fight in doorways. they just walk past your awesome fighter that can engage 3 enemies at once.

Prime Junta

Most players are bad at playing the game. Take away their dumb repeatable rote tactic and they'll howl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom