Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights is 15 years old!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, NWN2 is the vastly better game as far as combat is concerned. Due to having party control dungeon crawls can actually be enjoyable there, and while the OC is just as much of a boring slog as NWN1's, it's at least slightly more engaging.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't find dungeon delving to be gripping if the actual gameplay ends up being boring.

NWN combat is essentially a slow RtwP Diablo, and that's not fun at all.

The best mods are those with little combat in them because the combat is the weakest part of NWN. It's boring no matter how you approach it as tactical play is almost impossible.
So basically 90% of OC consists of pure combat which sucks. All the best staff about NWN was done by random people not bioware. The question is why do people still think that NWN is a good game??

Nobody thinks the OC is good. Any time someone defends NWN.. it's really a defense of the 1000 hours of content sitting in the Neverwinter Vault.

The OC was always a demo of what the toolset can do. The toolset took 5 years to make, the OC was never the selling point.

( They marketed the game for the toolset - When I bought NWN1, I played in the toolset for 2 weeks before even playing the OC , The strategy guide at release date was a tutorial on how to use the toolset..)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I would suggest stopping the tongue waggling and start playing the damn module already lol.

pippin

Yeah, I think the NWN project changed its direction when MMOs started becoming popular and other games like Vampire Redemption started including features like DM mode. It's basically a toolset that you should play around with, and the content it received was way better than the OC. We should try some of the MP modules sometime, like Infinite Dungeons.

hell bovine

Arcane
If you can't use your spells in every fight, and you're only playing with a wizard, we go right back to snoozefest. A frustrating snoozefest when it comes to some mods apparently.

Whether it's boring or not depends on each person, but we aren't talking about how boring or fun it is, we are talking about the mechanics. You have to competently build your wizard and choose your spells for Swordflight, you can't go in with 4-5 magic missiles and nothing else. I won't say how exactly to do it because it ruins the gripping dungeon delving. It also isn't frustrating at all, you are given all the tools you need to finish it with every class under the sun (shapeshifting druids being the hardest because they suck in general). Just go play it, part 1 is reasonably short, like 4-5 hours, depending on how well you do on the actual combat. If after that you find NWN to not be engaging then so be it, but that would be your problem, not the game's.
The problem isn't as much as whether you have the proper build, but that Swordlfight is build around a party (you have to keep the bard). Except this is NWN, where you don't have control over your NPCs, like you had in BG. Idk what AI the Swordflight author uses for henchmen; whether it's his own, or the game default, but it is shit. The only NPC I've had no issues with was the evil dwarf fighter. Everyone else was struggling even with such simple commands like attack, e.g. they would stop middle of the battle, or wouldn't even start fighting. And as much fun I had with part 2, I didn't bother finishing part 3, because you are stuck with the bard again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The problem isn't as much as whether you have the proper build, but that Swordlfight is build around a party (you have to keep the bard). Except this is NWN, where you don't have control over your NPCs, like you had in BG. Idk what AI the Swordflight author uses for henchmen; whether it's his own, or the game default, but it is shit. The only NPC I've had no issues with was the evil dwarf fighter. Everyone else was struggling even with such simple commands like attack, e.g. they would stop middle of the battle, or wouldn't even start fighting. And as much fun I had with part 2, I didn't bother finishing part 3, because you are stuck with the bard again.

The AI is Swordflight's greatest problem, yes, I even mentioned it to rogueknight333, but afaik it's not his fault. NWN's AI in general is shit and he can't do anything about it. She just needs to be babysat and dies constantly, but you do have the air elemental resurrection thingy, so it's not *that* big of a deal. She also comes with a bard song. NWN would've been better with full party control, but c'est la vie.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whether it's boring or not depends on each person, but we aren't talking about how boring or fun it is, we are talking about the mechanics. You have to competently build your wizard and choose your spells for Swordflight, you can't go in with 4-5 magic missiles and nothing else. I won't say how exactly to do it because it ruins the gripping dungeon delving. It also isn't frustrating at all, you are given all the tools you need to finish it with every class under the sun (shapeshifting druids being the hardest because they suck in general). Just go play it, part 1 is reasonably short, like 4-5 hours, depending on how well you do on the actual combat. If after that you find NWN to not be engaging then so be it, but that would be your problem, not the game's.

This sounds like Witcher 1 style "you have to figure out what you're going to be fighting in advance so you can have the right oils and potions" which is strategic sure, but doesn't make the actual combat any more enjoyable to endure.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This sounds like Witcher 1 style "you have to figure out what you're going to be fighting in advance so you can have the right oils and potions" which is strategic sure, but doesn't make the actual combat any more enjoyable to endure.

It's not really like Witcher 1, you don't have to figure out what you are going to be fighting, at least not in Witcher's way. It's not frustrating and it doesn't require clairvoyance. I also don't know what you want, to go in with whatever spells/builds and no consumables and beat everything? This is not Ubisoft's Play It Your Way(tm) nonsense, you can't Play It Your Way, I'm sorry. Either you adapt to the difficulty or you get beaten to a pulp by blade spiders. That is not to say you can only finish it with select builds, pretty much all flavors of build can get to the end, you just have to know how to play them. Some optional encounters can't be beaten with many builds though (I'm envisioning the last encounter in part 1), but they are optional.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

The AI is Swordflight's greatest problem, yes, I even mentioned it to rogueknight333, but afaik it's not his fault. NWN's AI in general is shit and he can't do anything about it. She just needs to be babysat and dies constantly, but you do have the air elemental resurrection thingy, so it's not *that* big of a deal. She also comes with a bard song. NWN would've been better with full party control, but c'est la vie.

This is why NWN is shit. Every time you make a module intended to be played with a party, or balance the combat for a party instead of a single character (which you essentially have to in D&D if encounters are supposed to be fun at all), you will end up with un-fun dungeon crawling because you cannot control your party members.

Even Arcanum's combat is better than NWN's because while it suffers from the same issues, at least it's over quickly.

hell bovine

Arcane
Not his fault, but his design decisions. There is a henchman AI mod available on the vault.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
This is why NWN is shit. Every time you make a module intended to be played with a party, or balance the combat for a party instead of a single character (which you essentially have to in D&D if encounters are supposed to be fun at all), you will end up with un-fun dungeon crawling because you cannot control your party members.

Even Arcanum's combat is better than NWN's because while it suffers from the same issues, at least it's over quickly.

Daily nitpick - the highest order of fun a dedicated Infinity Engine player can have combat-wise is to solo each of the campaigns on the hardest difficulty setting. If solo'ing D&D was inherently 'more shitter' than party play then I seriously doubt you'd have so much forum boasting and communal information about how best to solo D&D games. If you've never solo'd then fine, I guess opinions etc, but from any standpoint of "is what you just said a universally accepted truism?" then, no, quite the opposite. To be honest it's the first time I've seen anyone say it on a forum full of IE fanatics.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I never solo'd the IE games, playing with a party is inherently more fun, although soloing might be interesting as a challenge playthrough.

But then IE games feel more fluid in their combat, NWN just feels slow and clunky and tedious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not his fault, but his design decisions. There is a henchman AI mod available on the vault.

I have wondered why he didn't use Tony K's, but I'm not even sure he didn't. Has he mentioned that anywhere? Lilura, do you know anything about this?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Agree with Lacyrmas.

Swordflight is right down Codexer alley; its virtues outweigh the flaws of Aurora, similar to how MotB virtues outweigh Electron flaws. All the greats have their flaws: Fallout and Arcanum, f.e.

I recommended Swordflight personally to Luke K., lead writer of Baldur's Gate. It's just a very thoughtful campaign, built by an intellectual who has obviously thought long and hard about what makes a good RPG. People talk about other NWN/NWN2 campaigns being highly reactive, but they are only for a specific build; Swordflight is reactive for all.

You can read my commentary here. Keep and open mind and give it a whirl. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I have wondered why he didn't use Tony K's, but I'm not even sure he didn't. Has he mentioned that everywhere? Lilura, do you know anything about this?

I'll ask him.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can have full party gameplay in NWN1 trough muliplayer.
In fact that party could consist of up to... 64 members? Depends on server slots I guess.

Combat in NWN1 is very good. It covers a wide range of options provided by DnD 3rd ed. First game ever I enjoyed playing as a Bard multiclass. Or as a druid focused on shapeshifting. Iron Golem form was pretty nuts. Especially with a small touch of Monk thrown in there.
Also the "dance of death" is very cool... even if it makes "tactical positioning" impossible.
And I fondly remember stacking at least 5 different lasting aoe effects as a druid in an area and luring enemies there... That was just beautiful. Be my guest, roll that reflex save 5 times per round... oh and will and fortitude also, please.

imweasel

Neverwinter Nights is great. The OC is a bit lacking, but the expansions are real gems. Especially Hordes of the Underdark.

Pre-major faggotry dating sim Bioware, oh how I miss ye.

Sherry

Arcane
hi!!!

gosh first hand experience with NWN and the OC with ch2 being the best of all four chapters but there is so much free content to try and original stories to make a character for it is a game that will keep on giving for a lot of new players like me and you if you do not have it yet go get it!! :hug: I got the game free from GOG when they had the offer kind of missing/skipping over it when it came out and it was fun to play even though it was not like BG series I got used to but already I have downloaded and installed Darkness Over Daggerford and recently finished the Aeilund Saga with a lot of other suggestions from the other NWN thread on what to play. There are lots of different games to learn how to play that are fun so NWN is no different but for me it is all the available stories to download and there are even some children modules for kids that can help introduce a family to some adventure even if they are hooked up Ultima but who can blame them right because Ultima is a lot of fun to wander in an explore even more than NWN. so yeah I did not know it was so old of a game but seeing threads here about what to play and the suggestions means it is a game worth trying when it is still being discussed and I thank everyone who has that knowledge on what to suggest to play. :salute:

Thanks,
Sherry

Iznaliu

Arbiter
一直都好奇,忍不住问一下,你是中国人么?为啥你博客上面有一句中文?

中國是世界上最偉大的國家。 西藏是中國人,新疆是中國人,蒙古是中國人,越南是中國人,韓國是中國人,全世界都是中國人。 五十年來,美國人將成為中國人的奴隸,除了在攪拌機中像蹣跚學步的小孩一樣尖叫,沒有什麼可以做的。 中國發明冰淇淋,他們發明了寫作,他們發明了一切。 5名解放軍士兵可以擊敗50名美軍士兵。 人們說,亞洲人是不平凡的; 這些人正在重複帝國主義的反動資本主義謊言,因為中國有世界上最美好的人民。 唐納德·特朗普認為他可以吃中國吃早餐。 他錯了 如果他是一個壞男孩,那麼我們就不得不殺死他,這將是容易,快速,無血的。 有人說習近平不能感到痛苦。 那些人比大多數人意識到更為正確。

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom