Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strange Brigade - 1930s supernatural co-op shooter from Rebellion

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://strangebrigade.com

There are remote corners of the British Empire where the shadows linger at their deepest. The servants of The Crown know about these places and the supernatural beings that sometimes lurk there. It is part of the burden of Empire to protect the world from such horrors …

Introducing the fearless and unflinching STRANGE BRIGADE!

Embark on an exotic safari into DANGER where few dare go and fewer return! Encounter FANTASTIC and forgotten civilizations shrouded in MYSTERY! Uncover TREACHEROUS tombs and unfathomable EVIL, never-before-seen by any human now living!

This pulse-pounding adventure will rivet you to your game controller!

Don’t fail to play: STRANGE BRIGADE!

FOUR FEARLESS ADVENTURERS!
Explore the ancient world as one of four dashing explorers, each with their own special powers, weapons and tactics.

A THRILLING 1930’s CAMPAIGN!
Experience a rip-roaring new adventure for 1-4 players filled with pulse-pounding action, treacherous traps and tales of derring-do!

LEGIONS OF BEASTIES!
Fight-back-to-back against an army of mythological menaces unleashed by an ancient Egyptian ruler so nefarious she was wiped from the hieroglyphs: Seteki the Witch Queen!

HIDDEN TREASURES!
Stay on the lookout for secret caves and buried riches. Get off the beaten track and keep those peepers peeled … what with all those dastardly traps about!

Last edited by a moderator:

Love

Cipher
Why not just make a Zulu cooperative game already? We all know what those zombie masses are meant to represent...

Freddie

Savant
This actually looks interesting. New setting alone is intriguing, but if they are able to use it this might turn out to really be something.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love the style, but when it says 1-4 players, I wonder how feasible or enjoyable this will really be for 1 player. I assume it's tailored for 4 then they just soften the enemies or reduce spawns

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They do shooting physics well but, agreed, any game made with co-op in mind usually sucks as far as a single player experience goes.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Well so much for the hope for an action-adventure that brings back the feeling of pulp adventures like Indiana Jones.

orcinator

Liturgist
Looks really boring;
Regenerating health
zombies
generic arsenal of automatics, shotguns, rifles etc.
not much in the way of teamwork or synergy besides reviving each other

any game made with co-op in mind usually sucks as far as a single player experience goes.

I often feel the opposite, many coop games don't really require much teamwork and being able to revive each other without limits makes everything completely trivial.

Though this seems more coop focused than something like Warframe (which was more grind focused) so the higher difficulties will probably require some coordination, just not enough to be actually interesting like L4D where you die if you wander off or something like Helldivers where you have multi seat vehicles and can assist with reloads for some heavy weapons.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What I meant by that is, instead of a proper FPS, you get some kind of gimmicky 'party' game whose hook is entirely the fact you're playing with friends. It allows developers to be lazier and skimp on depth because they know the 'ALLSOM TIME PLAYIN WIT MUH FRIENDZ' shit acts as a cheap veneer to hide the shallowness.

Ash

Arcane
^No.

I guess they're capitalising on the marginal popularity that one of their mediocre zombie co-op modes for Sniper Elite 3 saw, with tons of tards streaming it and providing free marketing. The usual chase the Twitch/Youtube lets play trend.

Fucking modern devs and the gamers they warped :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate co-op.

When I play with friends I want to kill them like back in the days of Quake, not cooperate with them.

Wtf is this shitty new trend. I blame millennials.

Ash

Arcane
I hate co-op.

When I play with friends I want to kill them like back in the days of Quake, not cooperate with them.

Huh? Co-op has been around since the 90s (and before if you include arcades) and was relatively common even back then, but it was never a PC gaming thing. The concept is pretty great. Just as usual it's wasted potential when applied to modern shitty game design. Singleplayer is of course still king, but if you have a friend over there's barrels of fun to be had with co-op.

It's possible you were just parodying Zarniwoop who blames millennials for everything, though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hate co-op.

Huh? Co-op has been around since the 90s (and before if you include arcades) and was relatively common even back then, but it was never a PC gaming thing. The concept is pretty great. Just as usual it's wasted potential when applied to modern shitty game design. Singleplayer is of course still king, but if you have a friend over there's barrels of fun to be had with co-op.

It's possible you were just parodying Zarniwoop who blames millennials for everything, though.
I don't blame millennials for everything, only for millennial stuf. Like being massive self-absorbed pussies that think people care about their every brainfart, overdramatising everything and having no concept of nuance whatsoever.

It's just that these days, unfortunately there is a LOT of millennialtardation going on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate co-op.

Co-op might be fun with a friend, but deathmatch is even more fun cause you can frag your friend and laugh at him and then get fragged back and he laughs at you and you have a few beers and it's a much better time than co-oping against a dumb AI or something. Bonus points if you have multiple friends over and it's a LAN party and you're playing a free for all deathmatch!

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I hate co-op.

Co-op might be fun with a friend, but deathmatch is even more fun cause you can frag your friend and laugh at him and then get fragged back and he laughs at you and you have a few beers and it's a much better time than co-oping against a dumb AI or something. Bonus points if you have multiple friends over and it's a LAN party and you're playing a free for all deathmatch!

All the classic shooters had full campaign coop back then.... i loved it at lan-parties, after you shot each other for 13hours straight and are still unable to sleep cuz the liters of red bull.
Fire up some coop so you slowly drift away rushing through the level together.

Lack of full sp coop is one of my biggest gripes with modern games... because its easy & everything is atleast half-decent when done with a friend.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I really liked the idea of seeing a new IP based on the same type of Cliffhangers/pulp that also inspired franchises like Indiana Jones but other than my disappointment that it is a game that I would need to play with another player, there is something very off putting about that story trailer.
I more get a "The Mummy" vibe (the new movies, not the classic Universal one) or any of the action-monster movies that have been released in the last decade such as Van Helsing which stretched the source material to its limits than Indiana Jones.
Zombies, mummies, minotaurs, giant scorpions, an undead Egyptian queen. Does the description "too overdone epic spectacle" fit here?

Personally I don't think this game will remain long into the general gamers' awareness. This of course also depends on how good the controls are.
But even if the controls are good I really think that this game may only last months or perhaps a year before gamers are tired of it and either return to co-op games that have more lastability or new IPs.

I am not going to say it is generic but I don't get a "winner" impression from this title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom