Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Warhammer TW was just liberated. We still need to see if there would be need for crack v2, or not. Actually it was 12 hours ago, I just was bussy to check what people saying about possible crashes, and to see change in prices as a reaction by sellers. I'd need somewhere to look at price analysis of Shogun, Rome, and Attila. To see it's development by during two years after release to get proper comparison.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/bioware-has-removed-denuvo-from-mass-effect-andromeda/

Bioware has removed the Denuvo anti-tamper tech from Mass Effect: Andromeda
July 8, 2017 John Papadopoulos 54 Comments
A few days ago, we informed you about a new patch for Mass Effect: Andromeda. However, and even though it was not included in its release notes, it appears that this patch has completely removed the Denuvo anti-tamper tech.

We don’t know whether this was intentional or not. After all, we’ve seen developers rolling out patches without the inclusion of the Denuvo anti-tamper tech and then re-applying it via a new update.

But anyway, right now, the 1.9 version of Mass Effect: Andromeda is not powered by the Denuvo anti-tamper tech (though the game is still protected by ORIGIN).

Mass Effect: Andromeda joins a number of games for which the developers/publishers have removed the Denuvo anti-tamper tech once their games got cracked. These include DOOM, HITMAN, RiME and Homefront: The Revolution.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hvh54ha.jpg

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think it's time for a (very short) postmortem.

It's been 1027 days since the end of the age of piracy was proclaimed (I would add "for the n-th time" but, honestly, I've lost count). Only four Denuvo-protected games remain uncracked, all of them fairly irrelevant. Some of the cracked games have additional online protections. For instance, Dawn of War 3 stores hero progression on the server but the game is beatable with level 1 heroes.

Like 3DM predicted, the main problem was the lack of 64-bit cracking toolset. Now that the tools exist, any new 64-bit protection won't be nearly as hard to break (which is what happened to newer versions of Denuvo itself). Some scene groups are still bitching about using bypasses instead of actual cracks but the truth is, completely removing an invasive DRM from an executable is a grueling task. In this regard, Denuvo isn't very different from Uplay.

It's been nearly three years, and for the pirates it's clear sailing ahead. As for the video game industry, I'm not so certain. My suggestion is simple: if you want more money stop making trash. Most of the recent AAA games weren't even worth pirating, which is probably why people didn't rush to buy them. No kind of DRM will allow you to deceive your customers for long.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i dunno how companies keep falling into the same scam that is DRM. it has been proven time and again that quality of a game will surpass any kind of DRM or other shit to gain more sales. sadly, we live in the AAA market where products are sold trough hype, marketing, sometimes lies and exaggeration and not actual quality of the product. i dunno who to blame, the companies or the enablers that keep still buying turd based on hype and fake trailers and paid previews and reviews.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
i dunno how companies keep falling into the same scam that is DRM. it has been proven time and again that quality of a game will surpass any kind of DRM or other shit to gain more sales. sadly, we live in the AAA market where products are sold trough hype, marketing, sometimes lies and exaggeration and not actual quality of the product.

Because in ideal world, at least theirs, sale WILL increase if there is a very strong DRM, which in some capacity Denuvo provided, at least for a short while.

In general there are several types of pirates:
1. Poor schmuck who can't pay for games to begin with. DRM will not affect this. They might have a half decent laptop or PC to play, but when a game cost as much as 10 - 20% of the actual hardware these guys won't buy it. Living in Indonesia you should know.

2. People that want to try games before buying. There are actually a lot of this. Which somewhat reinforce your point that if the "demo", be it official or a cracked game, is good enough people will buy the game. DRM will not affect this, especially with refund policy being more commonplace today.

3. People who CAN afford games, but decided to pirate games and actually play it. DRM will affect this. E.g. I know myself and some of my friend partially belong to this group. We buy weebz/JRPGs stuff because we enjoy it and want more coming to PC. But the rest of the games we play, perhaps excluding some indies, are pirated. There are lots of people who think "Eh why buy it when it is free" even though they are more that capable economically to buy games. Best example is DA:I I and FIFA I guess. Some of my friends actually bought DA:I when it was uncrackable for 1 month because they played the 2 previous games. The same with FIFA, my group of friend just buy one copy so we could play couch match together.

mbv123

Arbiter
All those denuvo games cracked
Too bad I don't care since they're all shit and not worth the bandwidth, HDD space and effort it would take to pirate them

Norfleet

In general there are several types of pirates:
There's also #4: People to whom you cannot even GIVE your spyware infested crap away to. Given the choice between an official, FREE GIVEAWAY Steam/Origin/whatever shitty always-online spyware platform they're shilling their shit on, and the PIRATED VERSION, I will choose the pirated version EVEN WHEN THEY ARE BOTH FREE. I have refused to accept Free Official Activated Windoze in favor of using only cracked Pirated Windoze. For people like us, the smell of your shitty DRM is so offensive that with it attached, you cannot even GIVE us your product.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I live in bosnia fukin herzegovina and dont have data caps, u living in somalia ?
Mate we in the Balkans have a lot better net than most westerners.They have a lot of stupid laws and can't just wire the shit like us.We are a decade ahead in that aspect.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Microsoft's app store is overflowing with piracy apps offering access to free movies
Just in case you want to know.

And also I seen an advertisement for czech right wing political party (previous president was its leader) on banner on one of downloading sites.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I live in bosnia fukin herzegovina and dont have data caps, u living in somalia ?
Mate we in the Balkans have a lot better net than most westerners.They have a lot of stupid laws and can't just wire the shit like us.We are a decade ahead in that aspect.
Yes, same here in Hungary. There are some shitty net on the more rural areas, but when it comes to cities or even villages, we have rock solid, cheap and fast internet. I always pity our American bros for having that godawful connection.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, same here in Hungary. There are some shitty net on the more rural areas, but when it comes to cities or even villages, we have rock solid, cheap and fast internet. I always pity our American bros for having that godawful connection.
Most of the western net is shit.Too much bureaucratic shit.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Hey I just got 100 Mbps download speeds. That's fast right? ...right?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey I just got 100 Mbps download speeds. That's fast right? ...right?
It's decent. I myself only have 120 Mbps. But I could easily have close to 1 Gbps, I just don't need that, so I won't pay for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom