Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So discovered something weird on my NG+ run; you know that room with the wheel skeletons in the Painted World of Ariamis? Well there was a Phalanx in there.
Just one. Is that a NG+ thing? This is actually the first time I played NG+, so I don't know about all the changes.
It's always been there, it can catch you if you don't watch out

Really? 0_o
I played through the painted world like 3 times, and I never encountered it before down there.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I used it once. My opponent kept hiding behind his shield and I all had was homing soulmass and soul spear.
He kept dodging my spells and I kept dodging his attacks, and we ran out of time.
It was pretty disappointing, actually. I managed to get him down to a sliver of his health too with my hit and run rapier attacks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Sometimes there is ppl there but yeah most action in the forest.

Oh u mean that actual arena thing and not the area close to the township bonfire. That thing I never used

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I honestly never figured out why people don't use the arena and instead run around the township a few meters further like retards. I've tried it a few times and it's a pretty good arena, the deathmatch is stupid fun. Maybe because it came with the DLC and by that time not that many people still played the game? Meh, doesn't make sense either.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I honestly never figured out why people don't use the arena and instead run around the township a few meters further like retards. I've tried it a few times and it's a pretty good arena, the deathmatch is stupid fun. Maybe because it came with the DLC and by that time not that many people still played the game? Meh, doesn't make sense either.

Yeah, and if you're dueling your opponent can't cheat and hide next to a bunch of mobs in the arena.
I think the Arena isn't that popular because you get no souls from it.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Link in Lordran.

6z22v6z9dtby.png

Last edited:

PhlebasIskander

Literate
Only spear, two or one handed, adapt your playstyle, no shields, you're allowed to use miracles or magic but don't metagame the fun out of it.

Beggar

Cipher
Probably my new record. Did everything, collected everything, killed everyone without running through enemies, 0 deaths and it took 9+ hours. Even did some farming :outrage:
20170604223942_1.jpg

20170604224410_1.jpg

Now with spear without any shield :outrage:

DramaticPopcorn

My fastest playthrough was 25hrs because I cannot stop myself from autistically invading in mid lvls Sen's - Anor Londo - Painted World :negative:

Beggar

Cipher
Started a new challenge: reach level 100 before progressing through game, no non-respawning enemies should be killed. 11h, 82lvl. Gonna stomp them all :outrage:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hello!

I finally played Dark Souls 2. I only played Dark Souls and then Demon's Souls, liking them both equally, but finding DS to have more coherent lore and a stronger atmosphere, though DeS has its own highlights. Of DS2 I read a lot of things and took from that that it is a bad game, so I played it.

At first I thought it was difficult as I kept getting killed by Heide Knights. This, it turns out, was just me being rusty since it has been six, seven years since my last Souls game. After a few hours I got back into the rhythm. Now, I played Dark Souls using only that Asylum Hammer (as it was the weapon I liked the most) and DeS only using a Zweihander. I never carried a shield because I just didn't find them that good and thought dodging was easier. Anyway-

I have now beaten Nashandra and am a bit tired as DS2 was quite long and dragged on near the end. I haven't touched the DLC and might save it for later. I also spent a long time in the dueling arena to get the red phantom glow (need 50 more wins than losses to get it - PVP was very, very active, with no wait time between duels.)

So! I tried NOT to fall into my usual ways and tried to make a mage. So I went hexer, spammed orbs, and eventually got really bored of it and respec'd to be just a guy with a spear. I still only ever two-handed it and only had two spells: Greater Magic Barrier and Dark Weapon. Despite my best attempts, I ended up being a "melee dude with no shield and 2-handing a weapon" again, but I had a lot of fun! The spears in this game were really good and I never used spears in DS or DeS so it was a whole new world. Spears are super fast and lethal, but it can be hard to hit with them. My character eventually had 30 INT/FAI for Dark scaling and used a Dark Silverblack Spear to get lots of duel and invasion wins. Armor was just the Hexer set but it didn't really to make a difference so I guess you can wear whatever you want in this game. I just wanted my weight to be really low for the further rolls.

Anyway, I expected the game to be terrible. What I found is that I found the mechanics really good. Hear me out! Yes, the animations/sound do not feel as 'weighty' as in the earlier two games. But something about it feels snappy and responsive. PVP in particular was, by a mile, my favorite in this one: very active, very fair and a lot of fun. I expected to face a lot of 'cheese' builds in the arena. But nope, every fight was different! That was tons of fun. I faced, among others, naked dudes with caestus, rapier dudes, sword and board dudes, greatsword dudes, lots and lots of mages and all kinds of in-between. My build ended up being very, very strong so I dealt with all of them just fine because the spear I liked had a great rolling attack that can catch people when they do not expect it. So, PVP felt much, much better!

Now, the lore is... well. And the areas are- I don't know if they are short but they feel awfully linear. And there are bonfires literally everywhere. I didn't mind the teleporting so much (as the game was very long and large, so without it would be quite harsh) - I was told the bossfights would be mainly "guy with sword" but honestly, I found the varied. I only didn't care for the chariot. No boss gave me trouble as the game was quite easy to me.

So to sum it up: the PVP was really good in this one, but the areas aren't a lot of fun to traverse and drag on. The weapons are cool and have varied movesets. The game is quite a bit too easy - but to be fair, that might be because I didn't die much. The less you die, the stronger you get because you don't lose the souls if you can consistently keep them safe. Certainly DS is a more seminal game; this is just- well, not more of the same; the world is... messy and the lore doesn't really work too well. However, it is more of the same gameplay and I liked every single change introduced. In fact I thought the mechanics of DS2 were the best part! They made for excellent PVP.

Since I am rambling so much, here are the weapons I tried:
Mace (seemed OP for PVE but boring moveset), Club (just slightly different mace...), Silverblack Spear (excellent all around with Dark scaling Hexer build like mine). I also read the Crypt Greatsword thing was supposed to be good and I used it for a while, feeling like Guts junior. In the end I thought it was too slow for my purposes. I used spells for PvE (well, only Dark Fog and Dark Orb) and eventually gave up on that, enjoying melee combat a lot more.

So in summary, I thought Dark Souls 2 was much, much better than expected. Not a 'worthy successor' - more like a sidegrade, a step to the side. But as I liked Souls gameplay, this was an excellent game to me. I give it five bananas out of nine potato. Oh, and it ran beautifully on all max, even on an older PC. I found that really noteworthy. It also doesn't look half-bad.

Oh, what weapon should I use for Dark Souls 3? I /always/ end up just 2-handing something for the rest of the game, but I try to make it a different weapon each game: DeS was a greatsword, DS a great hammer and DS2 a spear. Any ideas what kind of weapon I might enjoy in DS3 that isn't one of the types I already played a lot with?

P.S. I have no idea if Dark Souls 2 was easier or harder than DS1 / DeS. It felt really easy to me - but that might be because spears are great, or because I have my experience from DS and DeS which pretty much translates directly.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
DS2 isn't really that hard, but there are more bullshit moments than DS1. Like, there are times where you just know the devs are fucking with you.
Apparently its closer to demon's souls in that respect, but I never played that so I wouldn't know.

praetor

Arcane
better get to the DS2 DLCs than DS3. they fix most of the stuff you (and many others, me included) found subpar in the main game (areas are excellently designed, each of the 3 has something "neat"/gimmicky about it's levels. they're also much more cohesive. just disregard the "challenge" areas, as those are absolute horseshit. they were designed to be played coop as you could summon people that didn't own the DLCs so they could get a taste of it [and even drops], but they didn't bother fixing them up for the SotFS edition for some reason)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gameplay felt kind of in-between Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, but lacking the dense atmosphere both games had. Gameplay was good though!
Again, difficulty is hard to judge since we all already played other Souls games. The only true difficulty in these Souls games is knowing which direction and when to dodge, I think. That, though, is quite interesting and fun to find out for every boss.

That said, despite all my Dark Souls experience, Flamelurker is still by far the hardest boss I have faced in any of these games. I am looking forward to meeting Fume Knight.

Maybe I beat Flamelurker easily now that I am more experienced but seriously, fuck that guy. I remember having to fight him 15, 20 times, I lost count.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom