Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BilboBaggins

Educated
6eKfUQk.png

RPG Codex, asking the important questions.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am not holding my breath on reactivity from prior choices. The choice I suspect will cause the largest difference is the Adra dragon. Otherwise, I would think (I hope) the decision on what to do with the souls would come into play. More so than the dragon, I would imagine surrounding countries (Valia, Rautai) would react to what happens to Dyrwood (i.e. masses of soulless children staying blank or suddenly regaining their souls). That should spur some concern either way.

Personally, I would like to see a reborn Thaos, but I doubt that will show up.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am not holding my breath on reactivity from prior choices. The choice I suspect will cause the largest difference is the Adra dragon. Otherwise, I would think (I hope) the decision on what to do with the souls would come into play. More so than the dragon, I would imagine surrounding countries (Valia, Rautai) would react to what happens to Dyrwood (i.e. masses of soulless children staying blank or suddenly regaining their souls). That should spur some concern either way.

Personally, I would like to see a reborn Thaos, but I doubt that will show up.

Decisions regarding the baby should have a fairly large impact too, I'd think. As will decisions that might have impacted foreign cultures/empires you will encounter in Deadfire (so stuff from the first game with Pallegina and Kana, for example). Other stuff will likely be cosmetic (and I don't have a huge problem with that).

As for the debate on whether any of it will matter or it will all be cosmetic... obviously, we don't have any evidence either way, so it's no surprise the usual suspects on one side will approach it with skepticism while the usual suspects on the other will be optimistic. :)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No more Thaos please, he's just a psycho with no redeeming qualities, rational arguments or concrete examples and evidence. I suspect the adra dragon and the child you can choose to take with you to be given a token nod somewhere. I don't think the souls will show up at all, it's fairly inconsequential to the region we are going to and the important outcome of any of the choices is no more hollow children.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Part of me hopes there will be an option to retcon the child as human and not orlan. Whenever I see an Orlan now, I cannot stop thinking of Ewoks from Star Wars. Why would I want to raise this:

star-wars-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi-limited-edition-20060905060817071-000.jpg

No more Thaos please, he's just a psycho with no redeeming qualities, rational arguments or concrete examples and evidence. I suspect the adra dragon and the child you can choose to take with you to be given a token nod somewhere. I don't think the souls will show up at all, it's fairly inconsequential to the region we are going to and the important outcome of any of the choices is no more hollow children.
I disagree. If you chose the redemption dialogue options for the Inquisitor flashbacks, Thaos comes off as sympathetic and he has some redeeming parts to his ideology. Arguably, his plan was flawed (even the gods were too human), but he did have some sense of the greater good, even though it was misguided. Plus, similar to Sarevok, I imagine he could be useful down the line.

As far as the souls, I think the option to hide the souls to empower Woedica would have some effect.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
No more Thaos please

"When you find yourself in Sun in Shadow with a beardy Thaos, best return him to the wheel, get it over with. Disintegrate his soul. Be done with it." - Littledurance

If you didn't destroy his soul I wouldn't blame Obs if they set him on your ass once more.

Sentinel

Arcane
I WOKE UP IN A SOHO DOORWAY
A POLICEMAN KNEW MY NAME
HE SAID "YOU CAN GO SLEEP AT HOME TONIGHT
IF YOU CAN GET UP AND WALK AWAY"

I STAGGERED BACK TO THE UNDERGROUND
AND THE BREEZE BLEW BACK MY HAIR
I REMEMBER THROWIN' PUNCHES AROUND
AND PREACHIN' FROM MY CHAIR

WELL WHO ARE YOU?

Reinhardt

Arcane
After watching video almost installed PoE1 again but then some autists in this thread started shitposting about barbarians and game system and now i'm :negative:

Prime Junta

You sir, have an uncanny eye. I applaud you.

Nah, I just like watches, always have. And I know how Josh thinks, and there really aren't any other (current) brands out there that would appeal to his discerning taste.

Sinn isn't well known by the general public because they barely advertise at all, but it's respected among watch nerds. They make legitimately interesting watches that can be had for less than five grand new -- there aren't many of those, I'd only put NOMOS Glashütte and Frederique Constant in the same category (and I don't like Frederique Constant, there's something irritatingly I-couldn't-afford-a-JLC-so-I-bought-this about their designs.) Sinn's schtick is to put the effort into the cases -- they use the same ETA/Valjoux movements as everybody else, but they don't just design their cases, they engineer them. Even the base models are not only water resistant but low-pressure resistant and often magnetically shielded too, and they have some batshit insane stuff like a diver's good for the Marianas Trench, or "any reachable diving depth" as they laconically put it. And that's only about two grand (Euros) too. That's more engineering than you'll find in, say, a Rolex Sea-Dweller, at a small fraction of the price. I also like their designs -- they're dry, super-functional, and blow right through boring into cool again. (I mean, they named one of their collections after Frankfurt, for crying out loud. Can you think of a more boring major city than Frankfurt? It takes some serious German gonads to pull off something like that.)

What a life it must be, executive of a game company, living in SoCal, no wife and kids. Life just raining down $2,600 watches.

Software professionals (above the code-monkey entry level) in California are paid extremely well, but then they work ungodly hours, and cost of living -- especially housing -- is insane too. And I'm pretty sure Josh didn't buy it on the spur of the moment, for one thing he will have needed to put in the work to know about Sinn in the first place.

Watches are unnecessary luxury items for sure, but then so is a lot of stuff that costs similar amounts of money. Quite a few people drive cars that are nicer than a five-year-old Toyota Corolla for example, even though that would be ample for their transportation needs. The price difference between a Camry and a Corolla amounts to a pretty nice watch, and the difference between a BMW and a Corolla amounts to a very nice watch. It's a matter of priorities. Which isn't to say that horology is necessarily an expensive pursuit -- you can find cool stuff for as low as tens of dollars on the vintage market, just pick your focus and go wild. Watches are also fun to tinker with, although that does take a certain amount of patience, learning, and some investment in tools. And if you absolutely have to have a new one that's a bit more interesting than a generic movement packaged in a fashion case, you're not entirely out of options.

(And I think this is about sufficient for this digression into horology, at least in this thread; someone can start another one somewhere else if interested. Back to our normal programming...)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Completely made of high-strength seawater-resistant German Submarine Steel"

Comic wise, this stupid shit never gets old.

Sentinel

Arcane
This whole inspiration vs affliction system might end up being the biggest trainwreck yet if the UI isn't smooth as fuck (it wasn't in PoE1).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This system reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. Anyway, TheSentinel is right, the UI has to be crystal clear for this to amount to anything without being a clusterfuck. I'm not holding my breath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom