Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

vazha

Arcane
Cleared Black monolith all by myself, in one go.
Oooh. That gives me an idea that it would be nice to be able to hire other mercenary companies to accompany you for joint ventures.
Space Rangers 2 had a system where you could do something like that.
Don't know about mercenary companies but you can kite goblin/orc parties to Black Monolith, and undead ones to Goblin fortress. Makes things piss easy.

unless the greens and undead ignore each other and double team you.
Which will never happen if you "retreat" (move backwards) during the first two turns and give them enough space to collide. Oh and piss poor initiative (worse than undead) might be a problem but if you're assaulting black monolith with perma-injured bros you are as good as dead anyway +M+M

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Conclusion: Update 1.1 Released
16 JUNE - RAPSDJFF
blog_header_final.jpg

The 1.1 update to Battle Brothers is here and brings a bunch of additions and changes, as well as various bugfixes – see below for the complete changelog. Also, we’re talking about what we’ll be doing next.

The Conclusion
Making Battle Brothers a reality has been a great ride. Back when we still worked our evenings and weekends on the game, we never imagined quite how many and how much people would fall in love with it, and all the support we’d get from you. Playing the game now ourselves, we’re genuinely happy with how things turned out. For all its flaws, Battle Brothers is fun to play, it’s satisfying to see what we achieved with our means, and we’re happy to say that we’ve learned a lot on game development as we created our first game together.

A part of game development is making tough decisions on where to spend your limited time. In creating Battle Brothers we, too, had to make concessions in order to make the game happen. Unfortunately, this now makes things like translations and mod support unfeasible, as much as we’d like to offer them, and expanding the game beyond its initial concept an increasingly unwieldy endeavour.

We’ve thought long and hard about where we want to go from here. After working on the same game for almost five years now, we’ve come to realize that it is time to move on. Creating Battle Brothers has always been about building the game we want to play ourselves, and furthering ourselves as game developers, and we believe that taking all the lessons learned here to create a new game dear to us is the right next step to take.

Development on Battle Brothers is concluded with today’s update – although we’ll of course continue to provide bugfixes, as necessary. We have a very good idea of the game we want to create next, and we’re enthusiastic to get started. It won’t be Battle Brothers 2, but if you enjoyed playing Battle Brothers, chances are good you’ll really enjoy our next game, too. We look forward to tell you all about it in the future. It’ll even have legs!

clothing_01.jpg

Changelog
  • Added 18 new illustrated events.
  • Added 3 new player banners.
  • Added 63 colored variants of most common helmets for more customization options.
  • Added more options to customize campaign difficulty by introducing separate settings for 'Economic Difficulty', 'Combat Difficulty' and 'Starting Funds'. See tooltips for more information.
  • Added optional 'Reset Equipment After Battle' setting to automatically place equipment back into the inventory slot it was in before battle, if possible.
  • Added additional ambient sounds for settlements.

• Changed combat log to show more detailed information, including hit chances, dice rolls for enemies and damage to shields.
  • Changed 'Bags & Belts' perk to also remove the fatigue penalty for carrying items in any bag slot.
  • Changed fatigue cost of ‘Indomitable’ perk active skill to 20, down from 25.
  • Changed various minor things to improve game balance and pacing.

• Fixed 'Lone Wolf' perk effect sometimes not updating correctly after movement.
  • Fixed potentially wrong healing time displayed in medical supplies tooltip.
  • Fixed specific ambitions not being recorded as fulfilled when engaging two enemy parties in quick succession.
  • Fixed issue with 'Armed Courier' contract during an active late game crisis.
  • Fixed two potential issues with the 'Siege Fortification' contract.
  • Fixed issue when retreating at a specific point during the 'Free Greenskin Prisoners' contract.
  • Fixed game potentially hanging when loading an ambush with a large number of opponents.
  • Fixed auto-loot sometimes granting loot to the player even if not having won the battle.
  • Fixed cultist conversion events also changing daily wages.
  • Fixed situations at settlements sometimes not being resolved correctly.
  • Fixed tavern rumors about famed helmets incorrectly referring to them as weapons.
  • Fixed various minor issues.

Some of the most disappointing news I've read in a while... :(

*Obviously I mean the inclusion of legs in the next game. DECLINE :P

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
i understand them with the mods. While it could help the game a lot, it sold enough and its fun enough without this feature. The thing is, in a small team you have to choose what type of game you make. A modable unfinished mess for community to fix - see 80% modable games today, or you concentrate on the gameplay based on your design and community feedback and make the best of you can. Would be a better game with mods ? Yes. But after 3 years + i think they had enough of this project.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Looks like they will be doing something that takes place in more modern setting next.

I'm 99.9% certain that rapsdjff said they "like sci-fi a lot" some time ago

*Found the post:
Pirate-spinoff with boarding, managing a ship, whole crew and other stuff would be amazing as well.
I don't like pirates. But I do like space.
Someone in comment section of their blog seemed to think that it will be post-apocalyptic setting.
http://battlebrothersgame.com/conclusion-update-1-1-released/
I look forward to this post-apocalyptic slog with rifles!

No idea if that is based on something that developers have said or just wishful thinking on that commenters part.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
That concept piece reminds me of jagged alliance... What ever they do, I hope for something a little more complex and less board gamey.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
A part of game development is making tough decisions on where to spend your limited time. In creating Battle Brothers we, too, had to make concessions in order to make the game happen. Unfortunately, this now makes things like translations and mod support unfeasible, as much as we’d like to offer them, and expanding the game beyond its initial concept an increasingly unwieldy endeavour.

Why is mod support unfeasible? Just open the files and let the chips fall where they may.

Why is mod support unfeasible? Just open the files and let the chips fall where they may.

They don't wanna be the next #RektHook and they're exactly the sort of game where some amateur low effort modder can blow them away in a few hours. I won't do it, but maybe someone like Lujo

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Does this mean that combat is going to stay like "ok chaps, please form two orderly lines over here, nice, those are some very parallel lines, good job, now you can start slaughtering each other"?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
That concept piece reminds me of jagged alliance... What ever they do, I hope for something a little more complex and less board gamey.
If it's like JA2, then hopefully they start off with copying the original mechanics and only changing stuff where it actually improves things...
Everybody else who has tried to do a JA game post JA2 has gotten this horribly, horribly wrong.
Same goes for the maps etc... BB maps and terrain interaction are leagues below what JA2 had.
The other part would be the presentation... If they can't at least live up to JA2 standards then well... They had next to no (or none at all?) animations in battlebrothers for example. I think they could do fine artwork and music and such though.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So no DLC...? Fuck :(
Unwise from a business perspective.

It's like, "hey, we've built a hungry fanbase and likes our game and would definitely give us more money for little additions, but instead we'll just funnel all our money/time into another game that may or may not succeed."

It'd be like if McDonalds stopped at making hamburgers and didn't offer you fries and a drink while you were there. Just silly.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Well I hope they succeed in future endeavors but isn't attempting a JA2 clone like one of best ways to kill your studio?

:despair:
Maybe not. No one's ever actually tried to do a JA2 clone... They just took the brandname and did a low-effort 3d RTWP game or whatever that felt like some kind of student project, mechanics-wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom