Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I don't think what's essentially a special attack should have more special effects than that, even that looks a bit over the top close up. However it's nice to see it in midst of encounter I think, the effect is clear and on top of the affected character (whose getting their armour sundered I would assume), so the added clarity is nice. Clarity was especially lacking from some of these rather powerful melee effects that actually have impact, like fighter's sundering blow.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't think what's essentially a special attack should have more special effects than that, even that looks a bit over the top close up. However it's nice to see it in midst of encounter I think, the effect is clear and on top of the affected character (whose getting their armour sundered I would assume), so the added clarity is nice. Clarity was especially lacking from some of these rather powerful melee effects that actually have impact, like fighter's sundering blow.
Problem isn't the effect, it's the attack animation.

Sizzle

Arcane
Two points:

- The game will usually be played zoomed further away, and this effect will probably look better from that perspective.

- From what we've seen until now, they're trying to give more (maybe even all?) attacks/spells/abilities their own custom animations. Considering the lack of visual clarity and distinction was one of the most frustrating things about PoE1's combat - this bodes well for the sequel.

Sizzle

Arcane
Main wish for barbarian is that they had a different class mechanic cause carnage is p. lame.

I liked carnage, it was a nice variation on the "berserker who indiscriminately lashes out in rage at all those around him".

Besides, in most games like these, the barbarian differs from the fighter only by having (slightly) more HP, being worse in weapon mastery, (usually) restricted by what armor he can wear and access to a short-burst of rage ability - here the Barbarian and Fighter are pretty different classes.

Sizzle

Arcane
Jesus, and I thought I was a PoE fanboy when I first came into the Kodex.

Shit, man, don't get me wrong - I like the game (especially parts like character building) well enough, but I'll be the first one to admit it's got plenty of serious issues.

FreeKaner

Barbarian is boring as fuck even though, the heart of fury and carnage interactions is basically only thing the class has going for it. Besides monk is not only more fun actually stronger too. Barbarian is p. good early game though because of frenzy & savage defiance making them monsters but they fall off later in that regard as well since most of their abilities are useless passives.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd rather have something more involved than aoe auto-attacks.
What would you propose? Barbarians filled a damage niche in my party (carnage plus the firesword was fun to watch), but I never liked the class by itself. Personally, I think it would have been better to expand on Frenzy and Bloodlust (a buff for each enemy killed if I remember correctly). Specifically, I think Bloodlust should have been a core ability and you could modify Frenzy to give additional buffs (speed, crit, or endurance, etc).

edit: I meant Bloodlust, not Blooded.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

What would you propose? Barbarians filled a damage niche in my party (carnage plus the firesword was fun to watch), but I never liked the class by itself personally.

Personally, I think it would have been better to expand on Frenzy and Blooded (a buff for each enemy killed if I remember correctly). Specifically, I think blooded should have been a core ability and you could modify Frenzy to give additional buffs (speed, crit, or endurance, etc).

The thing about blooded (and by extension Paladin's on-kill effects from kind wayfarers and bleakwalkers), the class lacks a nuke to use as a finisher and depending on normal attacks to kill someone is unreliable at best when spells are flying around and rogues & ciphers do much more powerful attacks. You have to try really hard to land finishing blows and even then it's not worth effort.

I agree though Barbarian could have a niche with getting stronger with kills themselves, fully embracing that bloodlust & bloodthirst & blooded trio. It would need a lot of rework of the class as a whole however.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
What would you propose? Barbarians filled a damage niche in my party (carnage plus the firesword was fun to watch), but I never liked the class by itself personally.

Personally, I think it would have been better to expand on Frenzy and Blooded (a buff for each enemy killed if I remember correctly). Specifically, I think blooded should have been a core ability and you could modify Frenzy to give additional buffs (speed, crit, or endurance, etc).

The thing about blooded (and by extension Paladin's on-kill effects from kind wayfarers and bleakwalkers), the class lacks a nuke to use as a finisher and depending on normal attacks to kill someone is unreliable at best when spells are flying around and rogues & ciphers do much more powerful attacks. You have to try really hard to land finishing blows and even then it's not worth effort.

I agree though Barbarian could have a niche with getting stronger with kills themselves, fully embracing that bloodlust & bloodthirst & blooded trio. It would need a lot of rework of the class as a whole however.
True, but I think it would give much needed depth to the class. A squishy melee character that gets stronger with each kill, as opposed to an AoE bot. Plus, in my mind it would make sense to have Bloodlust stack (up to a point) and function akin to a consumable in that it lasts for a set duration. That way, you do not need to start from scratch, but it would punish someone who spammed rest, let the barbarian die, or idled for too long.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Needing to land killing blow to get effect is p. degenerate in a party game tbh.

That sort of thing should be changed to consider damage contribution.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
This is PoE2. How about a subclass that works like that?

Good point, although I do not know how we would even make the suggestion to Obsidian about it. Plus, Josh would have to :balance: it.

Needing to land killing blow to get effect is p. degenerate in a party game tbh.

That sort of thing should be changed to consider damage contribution.
Really? I thought the opposite. You would need to coordinate to make sure the Barbarian lands the blow, and moreover it would punish players that carelessly let the Barbarian die.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Really? I thought the opposite. You would need to coordinate to make sure the Barbarian lands the blow, and moreover it would punish players that carelessly let the Barbarian die.
For the reasons previously stated. Although they could give the barb an execute ability I guess.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Carnage is a main class mechanic tho so I don't think a subclass could not have it.
I was about to say the same thing, but we have subclasses that remove basic mechanics, such as the Ranger subclass that can only temporarily summon a pet. Additionally, the Priest subclasses will have restricted spells based on deity choice (I think).

For the reasons previously stated. Although they could give the barb an execute ability I guess.
I thought they already had one with Brute Force and Heart of Fury, but I guess those are a little different than a true execute.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I guess it's possible. Now that I think of it, the cipher/barbarian orlan companion is a ranged guy so he probably doesn't have carnage.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Barbarian is boring as fuck even though, the heart of fury and carnage interactions is basically only thing the class has going for it. Besides monk is not only more fun actually stronger too. Barbarian is p. good early game though because of frenzy & savage defiance making them monsters but they fall off later in that regard as well since most of their abilities are useless passives.
Eh, don't really agree. There's fantastic synergy between Barbarian multi-hit Carnage and many weapons. Making the Barbarian the best wielder of weapons with on-hit/on-crit effects, by far. As in many cases you're almost guaranteed to trigger those effects with every attack.
High accuracy + Int Barb works well as a crowd controller with a weapon with on-crit prone/stun. Buff his accuracy/debuff enemies and see mobs fall down before him with every swing (Hours of St. Rumbaldt greatsword is available very early and is the best Barbarian weapon for me: Prone on hit and Annihilating +50% Crit damage). Blood Thirst, which voids recovery after kill, with a strong two-hander will let him chain executions after he gets the first head. Brute Force lets the Barbarian destroy casters and more... ethereal enemies by targeting their Fortitude instead of armor.

And there's a variety of Barb builds out there. Some focus on two-handers (like myself), some prefer fast attacks with dual weapons and leverage full attack actions like Barbaric Blow. There are Barbs who go nova when brought down (semi-intentionally, and they return via second wind). There are even survivable defender Barbs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Did Brute Force ever do anything? I recall checking a monster table and practically no enemy had fortitude much lower than deflection.

Anyway carnage synergizes well with on-hit effects yeah but that's the extent of the class.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I thought they already had one with Brute Force and Heart of Fury, but I guess those are a little different than a true execute.

Well, Brute Force makes the barb target Fortitude instead of Deflection if lower. Maybe you meant Barbaric Blow? That's... an okay skill. As a full attak action good for dual-wielders I guess. But nothing spectacular.
Heads do tend to roll once you activate HoF (15 crits are nothing unusual), but it's only avilable quite late (and was initially 1/per rest).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Did Brute Force ever do anything? I recall checking a monster table and practically no enemy had fortitude much lower than deflection.

Anyway carnage synergizes well with on-hit effects yeah but that's the extent of the class.
Spectres tend to have much lower Fort. Also casters, obviously. But even if initially the enemy has similar Fort and Deflection, it's not difficult to do something about it: Barb's own Threatening Presence will make them sickened for -10 Fortitude.
If your Priest has Painfull Interdiction (he probably should with a Brute Force Barb), that Weakens enemies in a huge radius for another -20 Fort. Duration is a bit short though. At -30 Fortitude is often a very good target.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom