Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity II Gameplay Footage on IGN E3 2017 Broadcast + Josh Sawyer Interview at PCGamesN

Quillon

Arcane
I find it interesting how their mages
a) always cast into their own group damaging party members
b) always cast into mobs that are dead by the end of the spell casting, because it takes so long

Mages basically useless. Sawyer keeps torturing the mage class.

https://youtu.be/zFSsIEApvKo?t=56

"A wizard is never late nor hits friendlies, he hits where he means to when he means to do it" - J.R.R. Uncle Benjen

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find it interesting how their mages
a) always cast into their own group damaging party members
b) always cast into mobs that are dead by the end of the spell casting, because it takes so long

Mages basically useless. Sawyer keeps torturing the mage class.

Uh, every grognard ever: "Micromanagement-intensive RTwP combat with lots of weak active abilities is unfun. IE games should have slower, more impactful spells!"

Meh I know you're just looking for stuff to complain about.

It is worse now. MCA has joined their direct competition. 2018 is going to a year of dueling iso cRPGs.
Why did they back their direct competition though?

Silly question. The game is going to get funded anyway, so what value is there in coming across as having sour grapes? Obsidian's $1000 or however much isn't going to make or break the project.

Besides, they have a relationship with Paizo to maintain.

Maldoror

Scholar
I enjoyed the first game, despite its apparent flaws, but never beat it.
I'll likely end up doing the same thing with this, if I buy it, but I hope that it ends up being good.

:balance:

Delterius

Arcane

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Retargeting takes away all spell related tactical movement, like trying to keep enemies in a certain area while the spell is being cast, which is often difficult and not guaranteed to work. It's quite unpredictable and it's fun when it works. But they're taking poe1 ideology even further, making all movement undesirable and unnecessary even more.

Meh I know you're just looking for stuff to complain about.
Sorry for liking the BG series and disliking the game for which you have an agenda. I'm so sorry Infinitron. I guess you're right in a way. I shouldn't complain about poe, since it's this new school game that has nothing to do with the one I like.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spell retargeting does no such thing. When trying to hit an enemy group with an area of effect spell, which of these two events is more common?

1) The enemy group move together as a single herd away from where you were aiming, and you miss.

2) The enemy group disperses in all directions, and your spell only hits a small number of them.

Spell retargeting does little to help with #2. And even if #1 was the more common event, it's easy to compensate for once you have the hang of it, so the addition of spell retargeting doesn't remove much difficulty.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like the companion portraits are worse than the ones from the first game.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought the gameplay video was okay. Not super hype inducing, but the greater emphasis on exploration is a positive step. Still, I would like to have heard more of the class changes, subclasses, and character development.

Edit: I forgot to add, the use of the mage's fireball to blow a hole in the wall was neat.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Pillars of Trash Mobs Vol II.

Sure the golem fight is different and had some nice visual effects -- but did you notice that the party was basically able to stand there and auto-attack it to death? That's how you know Obsidian still has no clue how to design encounters.

You can invent 50 attributes and 1000 skills, and Balance (tm) it all until you're blue in the face. But if the enemies can't offer a meaningful challenge your combat is doomed to be shit tier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's a 10 minute gameplay reel for E3 that zooms through a half dozen different environs. I think it's probably on Story Mode.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pillars of Trash Mobs Vol II.

Sure the golem fight is different and had some nice visual effects -- but did you notice that the party was basically able to stand there and auto-attack it to death? That's how you know Obsidian still has no clue how to design encounters.

You can invent 50 attributes and 1000 skills, and Balance (tm) it all until you're blue in the face. But if the enemies can't offer a meaningful challenge your combat is doomed to be shit tier.

That was really the recipe for this series,

- weirdo ruleset concocted by a delusional person
- harry potter-level world building
- autistic devotion to balance & accessibility
- no encounter design whatsoever
- use pretty graphics and stronghold-like garbage to divert attention from bland, hollow gameplay

Not that local cucks will ever understand. Mere sheeple which is easily goaded with eye candy and nostalgia alone.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom