Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Square Enix sells off IO-Interactive - now an independent studio

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only least evil company that probably can afford it is probably zenimax. Better than ubisoft or EA.

Ideally it woukd be something like thq nordic, focus interactive or even paradox with all their dlc milking stikk offer devs relative freedlm in developing games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"Now I'm my own master": http://www.ioi.dk/the-future-of-ioi/

They're now independent studio and owns Hitman IP.

The Future of IOI

We’re very excited to share this message from the Io-Interactive CEO, Hakan Abrak:

In its 19 years of history, Io-Interactive has brought you original and exciting entertainment; from Mini Ninjas and Freedom Fighters to gaming’s most notorious criminals Kane & Lynch and of course our beloved Agent 47. With our latest game, we have not only transformed Hitman, but also moved our entire studio into the AAA digital era. Our live product has disrupted the video game business and has received recognition and praise from press, community and our fans.

There are many tales of hope, dreams, hardship and joy within these walls. We have never strived for the expected or predictable. Instead, we are always in pursuit for what feels original and real. Our passion and determination has never been greater and so that is why we have decided it is not the time to stop as we have many more exciting and original tales to tell.

Therefore I am proud to announce today that IOI is now officially an independent studio. We have successfully concluded our negotiations with Square Enix and have agreed to a management buyout. Crucially, we will keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP.

This is a watershed moment for IOI. As of today, we have complete control over the direction for our studio and the Hitman IP – we’re about to forge our own future and it’s incredibly exciting. We are now open to opportunities with future collaborators and partners to help strengthen us as a studio and ensure that we can produce the best games possible for our community.

I would like to say a big and sincere thank you to all of our players, community, friends in the media and everyone else connected to the studio for the messages of support that we have received in the last few weeks. I would also like to thank Square Enix; it has been a great family to be a part of and we are proud of what we have achieved together in the last eight years. IOI started as an independent studio and we will now return to those roots with an extremely passionate and talented team.

We are counting on the continued support of all our players; simply by having fun with everything we’ve released so far for HITMAN – and we want to encourage more of you to try our game. We have more details to come on our plans for that next week.

Thank you.

Hakan,
Io-Independent

Congrats, I guess?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice. Will be interesting to see now If they keep releasing Hitman piece by piece or if it was a Square Enix thing.

Sentinel

Arcane

Time to see who was at fault for all the retarded business decisions.
If it was IOI I'm pretty much skipping Season 2.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Picking the no gods, no masters quesine eh?

Now, strip all the online shit and start making more hitman. I dont even mind the episodic format, it is just the always onlime and drm stuff that annoys me in hitman 2016

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I guess the management bunch is in an awkward position of being super-happy about gaining independence and at the same time thinking about the next month employees' salaries coming down on them like a torrent of feces straight into their face.

Hope they have the next Hitman season seasoned enough to actually wipe it off with smile...

...or Paradox :lol:

in which case we can expect paid DLCs aplenty. :mixedemotions:

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Hi everybody,

I am still not sure what I can say and what cannot say, so I will have to err on the side of caution just be sure. I don't want my superiors to get mad at me. And what I say here is not official IO opinions. Just me.

We are still working so HITMAN is not dead. More is coming. As I said before in this thread there is plenty to be excited about.

Square Enix has actually handled the entire situation as gentlemen. We have come out of this in a good way - they didn't just leave us in a ditch to rot. So I think our chances for doing this on our own is pretty good and we still have time to find new investors or buyers.

So I am not worried.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
also now that you presumably own the Hitman IP on your own, you can stop licensing the terrible movies

I am no legal expert but I believe Fox owns the movie rights for the Hitman franchise. This is unrelated to the IP. Someone even made petition some time ago about selling them back to square. https://www.change.org/p/20th-centu...ll-the-hitman-film-rights-back-to-square-enix

What sort of "ownership" is this? They might have a contract granting them the exclusive right to produce Hitman movies, but it might not necessarily mean they could make one without the IP owner's approval.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
also now that you presumably own the Hitman IP on your own, you can stop licensing the terrible movies

I am no legal expert but I believe Fox owns the movie rights for the Hitman franchise. This is unrelated to the IP. Someone even made petition some time ago about selling them back to square. https://www.change.org/p/20th-centu...ll-the-hitman-film-rights-back-to-square-enix

What sort of "ownership" is this? They might have a contract granting them the exclusive right to produce Hitman movies, but it might not necessarily mean they could make one without the IP owner's approval.

that I don't know.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good timing. Steam Summer Sale is next week so you guys can okay that 90% off sale without consulting with a corporate overlord.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom