Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh gawd those replies. It's just a bunch of millennials creaming themselves over Aloy. The shittest part of the game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
20 bux says "the beast" is a functional Horus/Metal Devil, ready to kill the dick out of everything.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I wonder if its a midgame expansion or continues to story post ending. I have no interest in paying a premium just for another region in the game that doesnt effect the ending or the main story, but if it continues the ending, then im all for it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
post ending.

My money is on post ending since they show Alloy in that shield outfit. You can only get it just before the end mission.

But the game reverts to a save right before the last act once you finish the game. I watched the video but when asked this same question, the developer was somewhat evasive and didnt give a clear answer beyond "you will continue her story"

Doktor Best

Arcane
I dont mind story mode as long as the game provides a challenging mode for players like me. There are plenty of handicapped people or just casuals who are atrocious with gamepads etc who would like to play games and often find themselves in rather frustrating situations. If there is a proper example for "inclusive" design, then that would be it.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Horizon is a bit overhyped. It is a fun game, but it is definitely not an RPG in any significant way.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Horizon is a bit overhyped. It is a fun game, but it is definitely not an RPG in any significant way.
After reading this a thought got into my mind, Skyrim looks pretty similar to Horizon in terms of structure, quests, perks, open world, choices...
If we can Skyrim and RPG, bad RPG, but still, then why cannot we call Horizon RPG?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After reading this a thought got into my mind, Skyrim looks pretty similar to Horizon in terms of structure, quests, perks, open world, choices...
If we can Skyrim and RPG, bad RPG, but still, then why cannot we call Horizon RPG?
we dont call skyrim rpg too mostly in these part.

Beth being in general rpg is probably because not worth the effort to move it somewherr else

Paul_cz

Arcane

Good question. I don't consider Skyrim much of an RPG either. But at least it has more involved character progression system and loot, and there might even be a couple choices and consequences (not many though).

Horizon is much closer to something like FarCry. Zero branching, no choices whatsoever, extremely simple character progression of just unlocking some skills, no loot system to speak of (you just buy everything).

Jarmaro

Liturgist
no choices whatsoever
What? I thought Horizon had quests with multiple choices, even some in the main storyline. Ive seen playtrough, I know it has.
, extremely simple character progression of just unlocking some skills
Like perks in skyrim.
no loot system to speak of (you just buy everything).
You get chests with loot after completing quests, doing some stuff or just finding.

This is not like Farcry, it's Farcry that wanted to be more RPG beceause walking and shoting was not enough for the FPS genre.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It's only like a hair more rpg-ish than Far Cry. There are no "builds," you get all the weapons and skills in the end of a normal play through (unlike Skyrim, where that requires extreme grinding, FYI).

There are dialogue choices but they don't matter at all. Sometimes you have the option to be either forceful, smart, or compassionate, but these options aren't tied to any skills or any prior choices, and none of them will ever fail. It's literally a "Decide in which way Alloy is awesome" choice. Pure Mary Sue fluff.

Overall it's not a bad game, with fun combat, but the premise is too silly to take seriously. Somehow these robots destroyed civilization, but they can all be killed rather easily by a girl with a bow and some grenades? Get out of here. When I first saw the trailer I assumed she must have some kind of techno-bow that shoots laser arrows or something but nope, just a regular compound bow. Ridiculous.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
It's only like a hair more rpg-ish than Far Cry. There are no "builds," you get all the weapons and skills in the end of a normal play through (unlike Skyrim, where that requires extreme grinding, FYI).

There are dialogue choices but they don't matter at all. Sometimes you have the option to be either forceful, smart, or compassionate, but these options aren't tied to any skills or any prior choices, and none of them will ever fail. It's literally a "Decide in which way Alloy is awesome" choice. Pure Mary Sue fluff.

Overall it's not a bad game, with fun combat, but the premise is too silly to take seriously. Somehow these robots destroyed civilization, but they can all be killed rather easily by a girl with a bow and some grenades? Get out of here. When I first saw the trailer I assumed she must have some kind of techno-bow that shoots laser arrows or something but nope, just a regular compound bow. Ridiculous.

Tl;Dr

EVERYBODY WINS!
Here's your participation trophy!

Zep--

Paul_cz

Arcane
no choices whatsoever
What? I thought Horizon had quests with multiple choices, even some in the main storyline. Ive seen playtrough, I know it has.
, extremely simple character progression of just unlocking some skills
Like perks in skyrim.
no loot system to speak of (you just buy everything).
You get chests with loot after completing quests, doing some stuff or just finding.

This is not like Farcry, it's Farcry that wanted to be more RPG beceause walking and shoting was not enough for the FPS genre.
Maybe you should play it. I finished Horizon. There are no real choices and definitely zero branching. Some fake flavour dialogue "choices" (that are also extremely rare) do not count, sorry.
Chests are full of meaningless "loot" in the form of some upgrades. Meh. It is not an RPG. Skyrim is very barely one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom