Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paid mods are back - Bethesda's "Creation Club" for Fallout 4 and Skyrim

Neanderthal

Arcane
Meh sucker born every minute somebodys gotta take advantage on em, we've seen wi Beamdog that you can sell a mod for price on a full game so its obvious others are gonna jump on gravy train. Real question is why the retards play their borin, repetetive laping simulators in first place, guess they've perfected their skinner box mechanics so dickheads thick thery're havin fun. No doubt be a great success wi bethtards.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Kinda happy that the "mods will fix it" crowd finally gets their comeuppance. :M

It's lame, but this is Bethesda, so what did you expect?
I was fairly certain Skyrim was going to be the greatest the modding scene would ever be for Bethesda, and it turns out i'm being proven right. It was it's peak activity and involvement and after this point Bethesdas greed will destroy the community. Now i'm left to wonder how long before Bethesda goes for the Nexus because modders are either pirating mods, or making similar mods to their paid mods and taking bread outta Beths mouth. Next year is going to be very interesting indeed.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Now i'm left to wonder how long before Bethesda goes for the Nexus because modders are either pirating mods, or making similar mods to their paid mods and taking bread outta Beths mouth.

Ironically burnt Beth customers may retreat to the Codex and overwhelm the established userbase.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
The original paid mods attempt was opposed for two reasons:

1) The ideological argument - "Mods should always be free! You are encouraging greed and destroying our communities!"

2) The "market regulatory" argument - "The average mod is worse than the average game, so why would you let anybody release a mod on Steam with no gatekeeping whatsoever when you don't allow the same for games? Unleashing a torrent of shit on the market is bad for consumers."

This addresses #2. It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice. If the gates are kept high enough, people who claim to oppose paid mods because of #1 might find out that it's not so bad after all.

Any system that works by letting you hit "publish" and your mod appears on the market instantly is DOA. But if it's going to be like Steam was for games before Greenlight, that's something else.

In general, I think it's clarifying to draw analogies between the market for mods and the market for full-fledged games. A mod store that's like contemporary Steam would be pretty bad. A mod store that's like GOG? Better. Something even more highly curated than GOG? That could actually be good.

Since I assume Bethesda don't have the resources the carefully check thousands of mods, this could end up being either decent (if they find a way to focus on the few mods that are really good) or terrible (if they give up and just wave almost everything through).

This is one of the distinctive features of a jewish person. Always see the bright side of things as long as money is involved.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Now i'm left to wonder how long before Bethesda goes for the Nexus because modders are either pirating mods, or making similar mods to their paid mods and taking bread outta Beths mouth.

Ironically burnt Beth customers may retreat to the Codex and overwhelm the established userbase.
You may live to see a day where fallout 4 is one of the most popular "rpg"s on the codex, by way of mass immigration.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

You may live to see a day where fallout 4 is one of the most popular "rpg"s on the codex, by way of mass immigration.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

shh.

Zerginfestor

Learned
This Creation Club shit sounds like just what they attempted before with Steam EXCEPT this time, they're simply cutting out the middle man of profits (steam), which would be hilarious to see if the sale profits are 25-75, because they TOTALLY deserve that much for 'regulating' mods (not giving a wet fart if something comes through), and then it will inevitably collapse as mongoloids will steal mods/create shit-tier mods and flood the system.

toroid

Arcane
What irritates me about this whole thing is that Bethesda games NEED significant modding before they can even begin to resemble a finished product. Petty cosmetic add-ons and additional content like questlines and equipment are fair territory I guess, but if they think it's okay to charge for bugfix mods and gameplay improvement mods then this industry is proudly embracing the fact that it's on the express elevator to shit town. (It already was obviously, but this marks a new low. It's just so fucking insulting.) At least this mess has some entertainment potential. Not looking forward to the repercussions though.

tldr: Bethesda sure knows their audience.

Epsilon

Cipher
What irritates me about this whole thing is that Bethesda games NEED significant modding before they can even begin to resemble a finished product. Petty cosmetic add-ons and additional content like questlines and equipment are fair territory I guess, but if they think it's okay to charge for bugfix mods and gameplay improvement mods then this industry is proudly embracing the fact that it's on the express elevator to shit town. (It already was obviously, but this marks a new low. It's just so fucking insulting.) At least this mess has some entertainment potential. Not looking forward to the repercussions though.

tldr: Bethesda sure knows their audience.
Bethesda don't care about their games or their coherency, they care about making money. Unfortunately they don't need to provide a good product for it to sell.
As an example of their attitude towards their games.
gLQho9Z.jpg

Alkarl

Learned
What are they going to use the money for? Cocaine? Whores? Moar water textures?

What they wont spend the money on:

Actual writers
Actual programmers/devs

Apparently it's expensive to regress and retard an entire genre of gaming.

That is genuinely fucking triggering. I'm honestly upset.

IIRC in the first part of that image they're talking about a terminal with pre-war journal entries talking about Jet. :M

Is he retarded? It's all about plausibility.

That's why I prefer using words like plausible or believable. "Realism" invariably summons this kind of smarmy reply that misses the point (knowingly does so in the case of Hines - he's just in a hurry to end the conversation before the annoying nerd brings up other stuff such as people not cleaning up skeletons from tables in their restaurant or ignoring the abandoned factory nearby to live in shacks made of paper-mache)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This guy will be making mad bank!

This isn't surprising. Bethesda has gotten away with minimal effort/lazy design since Morrowind because they know modders will simply pick up the slack and develop the content the ACTUAL paid developers should be making in the first place. Now Todd and company can profit off of the fruits of the labors of others on a per-transaction basis instead of just the overall growth in game sales mods typically yield.

Grimlorn

Arcane
But seriously tho, what's the big deal. Valve's been allowing people to create paid mods for their Source games for a long time and nobody's bitching about it. Modders who are in it for the thrill are still releasing their shit for free. Skyrim's workshop and the Nexus site will still be where they are. All that Bethesda is implying is that they're willing to "upgrade" some mods to the semi-official DLC status, which is p cool, since there's going to be certain quality standards, they can't promote obvious schlock and smear their own reputation.

But eh, seems like the most obvious reaction is to get mad about it.

The original paid mods attempt was opposed for two reasons:

1) The ideological argument - "Mods should always be free! You are encouraging greed and destroying our communities!"

2) The "market regulatory" argument - "The average mod is worse than the average game, so why would you let anybody release a mod on Steam with no gatekeeping whatsoever when you don't allow the same for games? Unleashing a torrent of shit on the market is bad for consumers."

This addresses #2. It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice. If the gates are kept high enough, people who claim to oppose paid mods because of #1 might find out that it's not so bad after all.
There was also the problem with people stealing content from free mods and selling it as mods they created. So it's going to be interesting when Bethesda starts sending cease and desist orders to modders who create content for free because that same content is going to be selling through their paid mod service. I mean what modder is going to have the time or money to fight a lawsuit against a Bethesda or Zenimax? Or how are modders going to feel seeing their mods being sold through the service and not being able to do anything about it while people get ripped off.

They'll probably eventually make it illegal to create mods with their games for free without their approval once people get use to the mod store because it's going to create so much drama and legal trouble.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
They won't see a cent. Its not like wages magically increase with profit, wages depend on things like how competitive the job market is. Their club is probably part of a gimmick to shore up creative control, more than anything.

Severian Silk

I'M GLAD YOU GUYS CARE SO MUCH ABOUT WHAT BETHESDA DOES. YOU GUYS ARE LIKE THEIR MOST BESTEST FANS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom