Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Some retard's hour long review of Arcanum

PrettyDeadman

I am not sure how original latin sounded like (probably close to russian/japanese) but it definitely didnt sounded like modern english.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ok... It seems several Codexers are now became self-appointed authorities on... Latin. It seems there isn't a single field of knowledge that Codexers aren't experts on - wikipedia level "experts" to be exact if not worse but who cares, right ? How surprising. Carry on gentlemen, carry on.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
silicone_autism_medical_bracelet.png

Darkzone

Arcane
I have watched him few months ago, but he didn't solve my problem with the correct spelling of ae that i still have.
Maybe this?
https://youtu.be/-zB2TG9sVf8?t=245
Not exactly. The problem is with the (in my opinion) conflicting opinions about the open 'ae' diphthong. Overall it is agreed upon that the 'ae' sounded like an [ae] (cat) ([Back] sounding) in vulgar latin, but in the classical latin the diphthong may sounded like an [a] (but) or [ai] (isle) ([Front] sounding). If in latin [e] always prevails, then Caesar sounded like KE-sar. If [ai] is valid, then the german "Kaiser" is nearly the proununciation of Ceasar, with the differece of the tail e that should be a, but some german pronunciations of "Kaiser" sounds like "Kaisa" or "Kaisar".
There are others that state that the 'ae' diphthong was just a long vowel in classic latin and it's writing is just an remnants from the old latin, enforcing the [e:] theory.
Just for fun i will throw in the nasalized [a~] (Caen) so we could have also a sounding Cow-sar.

Fucking autistic as hell, and I hate the way he mispronounces the game's name but eh, there aren't that many Arcanum retroviews, so w/e, knock yourself out

The reviewer annoys the piss out of me, but I find no need to label somebody as a 'retard' or 'autistic'. Highly negative terms that shouldn't be floated around freely, and they truly show your ignorance. Whether or not the reviewer is a pederast is irrelevant to the fact that he reviews computer games.

Fucking autistic as hell, and I hate the way he mispronounces the game's name but eh, there aren't that many Arcanum retroviews, so w/e, knock yourself out

The reviewer annoys the piss out of me, but I find no need to label somebody as a 'retard' or 'autistic'. Highly negative terms that shouldn't be floated around freely, and they truly show your ignorance. Whether or not the reviewer is a pederast is irrelevant to the fact that he reviews computer games.

He's not reviewing shit. He is ANALysing stuff (games and children being among that stuff). So yeah, it's relevant.

P.S. He's also a fucking autist, mind you.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The problem is the ae, because some languages fall more to the a others to the e form.

Classical Latin speakers probably pronounced it like the ie in lie (/ai̯/). However, it later changed to the something more like the e in bet, but pronounced longer (/ɛː/)

Another fun fact is that v was pronounced like w in Classical Latin

The spoken language (vulgar Latin) was vastly different and had many dialects.

Vulgar Latin wasn't really that different from Classical Latin until later on; the difference was more like the difference between formal and informal English.

the Passion of Christ they used the latter

That's because Mel Gibson was a Catholic, which meant that he would know the Ecclesiastical pronunciation (which is basically Latin pronounced as Italian)

Darkzone

Arcane
The problem is the ae, because some languages fall more to the a others to the e form.
Classical Latin speakers probably pronounced it like the ie in lie (/ai̯/). However, it later changed to the something more like the e in bet, but pronounced longer (/ɛː/)
I have stated this in my last post, but it is a bit more complicated.

Another fun fact is that v was pronounced like w in Classical Latin.
Just for fun: If you know the bible, then you know that the number of the beast is 666. The 6 6 6 is in hebrew the v v v (Waw), and that is the modern w w w .

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread went from accusing Lorerunner of pedophilia, posting evidence of him lying and having been in jail before, to arguing about the correct pronounciation of Arcanum.

This is why I love the Codex.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
I already knew that (most) native english speakers cannot pronounce latin words properly.
1. It's not a Latin word, you pretentious, hypercorrecting fuck.

2. No-one knows what the actual correct prononciation of Latin words are, it's an extinct language and all we have to go on is the way the Catholic church pronounces stuff, which is Church Latin in any case and not the classical form. You pretentious fuck.

giphy.gif

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not wrong. It's very correct. There is no record of the "correct" pronunciation of Latin, if there ever was one. Much more likely that there were many regional varieties, even worse than English is today in England.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
There is no record of the "correct" pronunciation of Latin, if there ever was one

Several comments exist from Roman authors, and it can be reconstructed from its descendants and other languages that borrowed words from it. Additionally, the Roman alphabet was invented for the use of Latin. All these factors combined give us a pretty good idea of what it sounded like.

Much more likely that there were many regional varieties, even worse than English is today in England.

Depends what time period we are talking about.

deama

Prophet
Does that Lorerunner guy still have cancer? Is that why he doesn't have hair anymore? Or did he lie about that?

Tower_of_God

Barely Literate
Watching these witchhunts is always strange. People jump onboard both feet in as soon as the slightest of allegations are made. Who needs proof? Let's just fuck someone over because someone said he is pedo in the internets! All aboard the hive mind!

But this wasn't just an internet claim.

He was arrested and when the judge saw the evidence the prosecution collected the judge decided it was severe enough that his family had to pay bail of 15k to get him out of jail.

You are acting like there wasn't any further action taken against him.

Could just as well be the mother of the child trying to get back at him and get some more money out of him. Wait one year before the kid suddenly decides to come clean?

Have you read about the cases where kiddies are diddled by the priests? They rarely come clean when it happens. The kid has to process this, there is shame involved when you have say this to someone etc. People molested by priests also came clean some time after it happened, sometimes even years.

What would you earn from going to court with a fuck who was already in jail, though?

Besides this is a criminal case. Not a civil one. So can she (the mother) even ask for money in such situation?

Look - it comes down to this.
Guy is a felon that has battery, felony criminal damage and domestic violence on his record.
He is also seems to be a compulsive liar:

The truth is he is just a normal guy in his early thirties called Steve whose probably worked a few dead-end jobs. The sad thing is that I doubt anybody would have really cared that he wasn't a 40-something year old award-winning economist, cooperate manager, voice actor, television producer, cameraman, actor, composer, video game coder, called Magus. He had great insight, a sharp mind for analysis and I fully appreciated him when I thought he was just a humble overnight network engineer with a passion for games. He didn't need to tell us all the lies.

Did he ever say he was any of those things or are you exaggerating? I recall he did mention that he used to teach writing classes and was obviously working in IT.

He mentioned various things about his education / jobs. I don't recall him ever claiming to be an award-winning economist, or a cooperate manager. He did remixes of songs (Defiance anyone).

@LibertyPrime If you watch across his videos he mentions a wealth of different jobs he has done professionally, which in hindsight seems confusing considering his actual age and the fact he was homeless for a long time. In his Voyager videos he talks about his time as a producer, director and actor (he omits to detail anything he actually worked on), referencing elseware that this is where the "chkoo" he says at the end of his videos come from, the noise made when a scene was wrapped up. He has talked about being an award-winning accountant numerous times. He apparently developed an MMO during the late nineties but his funders backed out after the launch of World of Warcraft. In the Mass Effect videos he mentions that he has done professional voice acting. They are littered around various videos.

He also permabans anyone who even remotely ask about the situation on his streams/forums. And considering he makes money of patreon and his videos people should be able to know to whom they are giving their hard earned cash. If he was honest he would talk to people why he suddenly disappeared without a word (he was arrested). He had the perfect opportunity to address the problem when the thread was going on his forums, but he decided to nuke it and ban people who tried asking where it disappeared.

He is a degenerate lying piece of shit (even if he isn't a pedo) so I don't want people posting to his stuff on the Codex. This is why I provided this information, that's it. Do with it what you please.

Police do not need evidence to arrest you.
Considering the how severe the charge was and that he has a criminal history it shouldn't be surprising that he was given a bail.

Where did he lie? Him not saying" I'm a convicted felon!" That's not lying, does him saying that change of any of the information he gave or Considering that an estimated 1/3 of U.S.A population has a criminal record I would have to agree that he a normal guy.

I also didn't like that he perma-banned people, but addressing it on his forum wasn't really going to help one way or another. Even on this board the fact that he was enough to prove he was guilty whether or not he was.

deama

Prophet
No wait, it wasn't cancer, it was kidney stones, was that a lie too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom