Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Rev

Arcane
Meh, seems like they'll only add some quests and a new region to be integrated in the new game. I would've preferred a post-ending DLC, since it ended with a cliffhanger and it's not likely they'll ever make Tyranny 2.
Also, I prefer DLCs that I can play whenever I want, instead of stuff that requires to load an old save.

Starwars

Arcane
A closer look at the world of Beastmen, the fate of a refugee settlement and companion quests featuring Verse and Barik (less so with Lantry) all sound... quite boring to me.

That said, expanded content in Act III and a path to a new ending sounds kinda nice.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting codenames they have:

Tyranny - Bastard's Wound (Tyranny - Diet Coke)

This is "VX1": https://steamdb.info/app/651440/info/

Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers (Tyranny - Fast food diet)

This is "VX3": https://steamdb.info/app/647560/info/

Still no visible "VX2" depot, but if it's a name for the "free update" (i.e. not a separated DLC) then it makes sense there's none.

(Also those initials from internal branches: BW -> Bastard's Wound, NG -> probably New Game (plus))

Case closed...for now.

Sizzle

Arcane
Would have liked to see Sirin's companion quest far more than Verse's. Hopefully they'll put hers in too.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
prepare for the 10100€ GOTY edition arriving in 2019.
FTFY.

The whole point of non-F2P gaming's current pricing model is to aggressively tax superfans to produce a discounted, complete product for other players. (F2P's model is much worse by comparison.) This is accomplished by: (1) crowdfunding; (2) inflated launch price with incomplete features; (3) early access; and (4) largely cosmetic DLC with a high price-to-cost ratio. Superfans also subsidize the game by providing free marketing work (by writing day-one glowing Steam reviews, downvoting negative Steam reviews, promoting the game on Twitter and message boards, or through other word-of-mouth channels), by providing free post-release beta testing work, and by offering ongoing technical support to other players. About a year after a game's nominal release date, when the superfans have been fully taxed, the full-featured, fully tested game is then sold at a ~75% discount to the general gaming public, hopefully with the benefit of a high Steam rating and a helpful community of players providing tech support and player guidance.

There was a time when I was extraordinarily hostile to this business model because taxing the people who love your game in order to subsidize people who are less into it seems disloyal. But now I'm not so sure. My impression is that superfans view this taxing as a way of making them a part of the development of a game they love, and thus find it rewarding and empowering. If the system makes superfans happy while providing cheaper games to everyone else, who am I to complain?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
you are attempt to turn your core audience into guinea pigs and glorified playtesters, while charging them for it
Don't blame me! It's certainly not my practice or my preference. I'm just saying that it's the industry norm. :)

Oh wait, customers don't like that?
Don't they, though?

Since I never buy full-price games at launch, but instead wait a year or more and buy them for a tiny fraction of what I used to pay as a kid, I certainly benefit from the practice as a consumer. For example, by the time I got to Bloodlines it cost me $2.50 and worked flawlessly. By the time I got to Crusader Kings II, it and all its DLC cost me a couple bucks in a bundle, and it had a bazillion added doodads to lend extra texture to the game. (Though it still was horribly bugged.) Likewise, I'm excited to get to The Long Journey Home in 2018 or so, when it's in a pay-what-you-want Humble Bundle and has a PC control scheme patched in, plus a bunch of extra content.

Really, the objectionable aspect of this is more from a developer perspective than a customer perspective. As a developer, I don't particularly like a practice under which your most enthusiastic supporters pay a premium to play the worst version of your game. It makes no sense. It certainly bothered me on TTON. But I'm not really sure why players should be worked up about it, since everyone knows (don't they?) that that's how developers work now. If players like paying a premium to be a part of the development process and to get a jump on community seniority, I guess that's their prerogative. If they would rather buy a polished game at a steep discount, it's also their prerogative to wait a year. If they object to the system, they should leave bad reviews for buggy release titles or not buy them at all, early or late. The market will catch up. But as long as consumers play along with this kind of pricing system, it will exist. And, in any case, it is a bazillion times better than F2P.

Flou

Arbiter
So they make more Tyranny stuff despite Paradox coming forward and claiming that it didn't financially suceed.

They never said it didn't succeed. They said they expected it to do better, which is quite reasonable as they were most likely looking at what Pillars of Eternity did.

With Tyranny's budget it has already made them profit and will continue to do so as people buy it from future Steam sales.

cannondwarf

Scholar
ujrIwmQ.jpg

Saladin? Really makes you think...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Saladin was a very common name in the Bronze Age. He was among the most famous of the lightly armored falangists.

Sizzle

Arcane
Would have liked to see Sirin's companion quest far more than Verse's. Hopefully they'll put hers in too.

I bet that is saved for the 2nd bigger DLC.

Yeah, I expect them to cover all the companions.

Still, one has to wonder how many DLCs they (Paradox) plan to put out for this financially under-performing game.

Geckabor

Savant
Meh, not really keen on doing another playthrough of the game, so the DLC doesn't really interest me too much. Like most already stated, I would have considered buying something that expands on the late-game. This just convinces me that you really have to wait a couple of years before buying games nowadays, since they always get "finished" later on and DLC for the middle of the game seems to be a trend aswell, which is why I'm holding off a playthrough of Underrail at the moment.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This DLC has me excited as much as a wet cloth does. When they eventually add all the companion quests, Acts IV and V, a lot of gameplay changing patches and everything in between I'll play it again and try not to slit my wrists.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like most already stated, I would have considered buying something that expands on the late-game.

You're getting that for free:

Bastard’s Wound will also arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Alright, I'm not going to lie, I'm officially a bit excited. This does sound a lot like what the game could actually have needed - simply a "As the game was intended" update, rather than "Forced out the fucking door" as it was. This.. this could actually be pretty good. I just hope they actually go back and revisit old content to make it not terrible.

Goddammit, it's all a lie, isn't it? It's going to suck.

:negative:
Hopefully they actually reintroduce Sirin in a way that makes a degree of sense.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
They are going full "What do they eat?" with this, I see.

I thought that the Tales from the Tiers stuff would be free. Huh. I will wait for the Bastard's Wound and buy them together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom