Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

odrzut

Arcane
I like this proposed patch a lot. Reavers will still be strong, but less compared to machines NR, so both might be viable now. Same with other factions - they nerf the most viable strategies and buff the less viable ones, so there's more decisions to make.

hivemind

my plan

turn ciri, rnr and cahir into premiums with powder

mill them each for 1600 scraps one patch hits

craft ciri and cahir again for 1600

left with free 3200 scraps

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I got a gold and 2 silvers from kegs for the reaver hunter deck this week and now they're nerfing them... I guess Roche and Thaler could be used in machines deck(other silver was Nenneke), but I have my doubts about that archetype.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The update is live now. Got 15k scrap after milling spares + everything that was nerfed. Plus they should give us the 30 scrap per keg purchased with real shekels later.

hivemind

fuuck I thought they'd release it later so I didn't turn the nerfed cards into premiums

rwersdfsdfsdfsdf

Projas

Patron
It's fine, they said you can mill for full value for 5 days after the patch. I did the transmute thing myself just now and it works.

Projas

Patron
Gwentlemen has some guides on general mechanics and stuff like that. Try gwentify and gwentdb if you are looking for specific decks. There's also stuff on youtube if you look up people like Noxious, Merchant or Swim.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I'm rank 7 or 8 currently but I lack a few cards (mostly golds) for my Nilfgaard deck. Current one is doing very good on my rank (Around 80-90% win ratio, I'm almost always going with at least one round won) and I was thinking... Maybe I should destroy some gold cards from other factions (eg. Scoia'tell. I don't think I'd ever use them)? What do you guys think? Better to hoard and wait for better days, or just simply go destroy them and concentrate on Nilfgaard/Monsters (my fav. factions so far)?

Also, some players are real dicks, not giving GG gold because they totally lost a game :D

odrzut

Arcane
if they mill for full value because of nerf - go for it. Otherways you migt want to wait for next patch when they may be nerfed, and mill them then. Milling regulaar (non-nerfed) cards get you 1/4th of the value.

Projas

Patron
I'm rank 7 or 8 currently but I lack a few cards (mostly golds) for my Nilfgaard deck. Current one is doing very good on my rank (Around 80-90% win ratio, I'm almost always going with at least one round won) and I was thinking... Maybe I should destroy some gold cards from other factions (eg. Scoia'tell. I don't think I'd ever use them)? What do you guys think? Better to hoard and wait for better days, or just simply go destroy them and concentrate on Nilfgaard/Monsters (my fav. factions so far)?

Also, some players are real dicks, not giving GG gold because they totally lost a game :D
Unless you are thinking really long term and hoping for buffs I think it's not the worst idea in the world to scrap cards like Saesenthessis or Geralt since they are really bad right now. I wouldn't scrap leaders though or actually good cards. Of course like odrzut says, you should mill everything that was nerfed, you probably have at least like few rares you could get full value from. Monsters are probably a pretty good faction to focus on, consume seems pretty strong right now. Harder to say how Nilfgaard will turn out, I don't meet many on ladder these days, but that might be just because people are trying out new stuff in other factions.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
From playing Nilfgaard to around 3k MMR, your golds matter quite a bit - for example, going from not having Ciri to having her made a huge difference for my tempo Calveit deck. Also, it's not very clear right now how good the faction even is after the patch. As a budget deck, Consume is probably better, as its power comes almost exclusively from bronze cards, and the only silvers you need are Crones.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm running a Radovid/Bloody Baron weather/control deck that just destroys the monsters at the moment. Handles Skellige well enough. These are the top two factions I see so I'm steadily climbing up the ladder when I can play. It gets its teeth kicked in by Nilfgaard, though. I haven't seen a single Scoiatell deck in quite some time and NR is pretty rare. I also dropped Reavers for Tridam Infantry and, despite it being such a cool card (with an awesome voice intro), I also dropped Operator and put in the Lubberkins for the lulz. Amusingly enough, I have NEVER seen anyone play those Lubberkins before and I passed on a game against NR and told my friend that. Literally right after I said it, the dude played a Lubberkin to take first round by 1-point. He then Nenneked's or whatever the other lubberkin in the graveyard. Great timing.

I think Nilfgaards have a strong reveal deck that isn't seeing as much play as it should, IMO.

Despite some moaning about Skellige bears, the game's in a very healthy state right now.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Despite some moaning about Skellige bears, the game's in a very healthy state right now.

From 60 games played around 2800 - 3000 MMR over the past few days:

31 (52%) vs Skellige
13 (22%) vs Monsters
8 (13%) vs Northern Realms
7 (12%) vs Scoia'Tael
1 (lol) vs Nilfgaard

Healthy as fuck indeed. I'm starting to develop PTSD from seeing a t1 bear on the other side of the board every second game. The supposed NG domination wasn't nearly as bad (mainly because it wasn't actually dominating at higher levels and Dagon was the best deck, but retards on reddit unfortunately didn't know that).

Projas

Patron
Gotta agree the pre-patch meta was more diverse than what we have currently. Tempo NG, Morkvarg SK and Dagon Fog were pretty evenly matched. I do think we should give the meta more time to settle before judging it though, for one I think NR has decks that are stronger than their playrate would suggest and no one is really experimenting with making NG great again (though I don't think reveal is the way to go).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Gotta agree the pre-patch meta was more diverse than what we have currently. Tempo NG, Morkvarg SK and Dagon Fog were pretty evenly matched. I do think we should give the meta more time to settle before judging it though, for one I think NR has decks that are stronger than their playrate would suggest and no one is really experimenting with making NG great again (though I don't think reveal is the way to go).

I've only been playing NR since patch, trying out the Machine synergy decks with Witcher finishers, Radovid control and Henselt Reaver Hunters. My overall feeling is that none of those feel consistent enough to be tier 1. Everyone's teching in locks and thunders to counter bears, and as a result, it's close to impossible to get a Siege Support to stick; and Reaver Hunters also get his by all the graveyard hate aimed at Skellige. Honestly, maybe it's both monsters and Skellige that need to be toned down to current NR level, would probably be healthier than buffing their units again. That said, NR have objectively some of the worst silvers and golds in the game, so I wouldn't mind buffs to Natalis, Stennis, Shani, Baron, Sabrina, and so forth.

I will say that, bear ridiculousness aside, what the current meta shows is that weather overall is a bit too strong, or Frost most certainly is. Every single one of my NR decks runs a triplet of Aretuza Adepts and Frosts, because it's simply too much value to pass up. You know something's wrong when the axemen deck runs White Frost and Aeromancy, but not Skellige Storm. They really should've gone with that early PTR change to it.

Nilfgaard is probably not as bad as the numbers suggest, but there's really not much to innovate in there. Calveit is still their best leader, and his tempo variant the best deck, it's just worse and less consistent now, and likely gets destroyed by axemen to boot.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Have you tried a Radovid control deck? I've rolled over the Skellige axemen with those. Edit: lol see it

IMO, I'd just be careful of falling into the trap of flavor-of-the-month type thinking. Hearthstone community does this a lot, and if you didn't pay attention enough over the course of a month you wouldn't realize how fast seemingly 'top' decks can suddenly fall out of favor.

Last edited:
IMO, I'd just be careful of falling into the trap of flavor-of-the-month type thinking. Hearthstone community does this a lot, and if you didn't pay attention enough over the course of a month you wouldn't realize how fast seemingly 'top' decks can suddenly fall out of favor.

The problem is that the game design team paid heed to the retards whining in Reddit. These guys have never heard of the expression "children should be seen and not heard"; when you listen to a bunch of chumps who netdeck the flavour of the month and then complain about the game not being the multiplayer solitaire game they feel they are entitled to (because the can't play), you end up with the current state of affairs. Now they are complaining about the Skellige decks being "unplayable" because other players have adapted to the metagame and fuck with their graveyards as much as possible to get rid of those goddamn motherfucking bears, "graveyard hate", blah, blah, blah. So I suppose next up will be the nerfing of Vicovaro Medics and whatever Monsters have that eats or shifts the stiffs around so that the kids can play solitaire. I swear the last 15 games I have played have been Skellige axemen decks, except for a John Calveit one.

They should also release an official mod to substitute the shieldmaidens' deploy voice for Yakety Sax or something, because those hags' screeching is grating my ears.

BTW, they are also complaining about the coin toss, because going first is "unfaaaair" (well, guess what, someone's gotta go first!). Except if you play SK, because you get to deploy the bear first.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Have you tried a Radovid control deck? I've rolled over the Skellige axemen with those. Edit: lol see it

I don't really want to over-nerf Skellige, as they're, by far, the most diverse and well-balanced faction, with multiple successful and distinct archetypes. Bear needs its power reduced, as does Frost, and most of the current axemen tomfoolery should resolve itself naturally. It's not that axemen are difficult to counter, the archetype is just a bit too powerful overall.

Scoia'tael being overall incredibly shit is a much bigger problem than the temporary Skellige domination imo.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Gotta be honest, I don't care if ST sucks. Their most common deck is 100% uninteractive. If I wanted to play Solitaire I'd load up Solitaire.

hivemind

well if ST as a whole didn't suck spellitarie wouldn't be their only viable deck

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
To be honest, having played against control decks in MtG for many years, Spellatael doesn't trigger me in the slightest. In fact, I kinda enjoy the fact that playing against it is so strategic, in the sense that pushing R1 and R2 as hard as you can is more important than being efficient with your cards. I also don't understand what's so "uninteractive" about it, given that you can often significantly reduce the effectiveness of their spells and weather by playing the right way.

Main problem with it imo is that sometimes when they manage to conserve Borkh till R3, you can just lose instantly without DShackles. That, however, is a problem with Borkh specifically, and happens with every deck that runs him.

I bet sser hates Spellatael because he's a dirty axemen player. Damn, does that deck wreck axemen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom