Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance to be delivered on February 13th, 2018

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
It's going to be great. Fuck the h8rs!

RPK

Scholar
> 15th Century Bohemia
> Trailer features British Isles accents

Between everybody in Deus Ex: MD's Prague speaking with a Russian accent and this, I guess no voice actors in Czechia can speak English?

I've always intensely fucking disliked actors imitating foreign languages by speaking with a stiff tongue and sounding all retarded. Plus what's even the point of trying to be historically accurate when you're dealing with a 600 years old language? It's as far from modern Czech as English is from German today.

Looks very interesting and it's great that we're not getting another fantasy RPG but because of the above it won't sell as well as Skyrim or even Witcher 3. Graphic wise it's exquisite and minimal requirements reflect that. It would be nice to see it succeed but I'm not too optimistic.

Nobody has the faintest idea what's the mass-market demand for non-fantasy RPGs because nobody has ever made one (except Darklands, when there was no mass-market in videogames yet). It may be a total flop, it may also be a moderate or even smash hit.

Personally I don't see any reason why non-fantasy setting should be a problem in gaemz when it's completely normal in movies. Braveheart or Gladiator are commercial gold mines and nobody seems to care there are no dragons.

exactly. it could be a refreshing change of pace.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It is what Vavra was always saying when people/publishers told him "nobody cares about historical games, nobody cares about czech history" , nobody gave a shit or even know who William Wallace was until some holywood primadona made a movie about him, suddenly everyone knew and loved that.

All that matters is for the game to be good at what it does, and polished/optimized enough.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
> 15th Century Bohemia
(Fun fact. We DO have some Czech actors speaking English. Surprise! They don't have a stereotypical thick accent.)

Such thing is called localization.
And we're using that approach for the Czech version as well. Obviously, we can't be 100% historical for the reason it'd be unadvisable to use Ænglisc.
If you're lucky Czech voiceovers will be released later. Maybe that's your jam and I say "Go for it". But you won't get an inch closer to authenticity. You'll be listening to more or less modern Czech reading the very same English subtitles. When writing the game we were avoiding neologisms (in words, phrases and concepts), of course, but the largest part is the omission of more contemporary T-V distiction. Which is untranslatable to English anyway, so... yeah.

Last edited:

RPK

Scholar
> 15th Century Bohemia
(Fun fact. We DO have some Czech actors speaking English. Surprise! They don't have a stereotypical thick accent.)

Such thing is called localization.
And we're using that approach for the Czech version as well. Obviously, we can't be 100% historical for the reason it'd be unadvisable to use Ænglisc.
If you're lucky Czech voiceovers will be released later. Maybe that's your jam and I say "Go for it". But you won't get an inch closer to authenticity. You'll be listening to more or less modern Czech reading the very same English subtitles. When writing the game we were evading neologisms (in words, phrases and concepts), of course, but the largest part is the omission of more contemporary T-V distiction. Which is untranslatable to English anyway, so... yeah.

I didn't realize we had the devs frequenting the boards. well met :)

best of luck with your release!

Smejki

Developer
Needs more explosives, so that we can actually blast people to Kingdom Come. :M
what kind of explosives did they used to have in 1500 Bohemia? sure, there was artillery and first early-form handguns/muskets, but explosives you'd be able to throw?
The game takes place in 1403 (almost 20 years before the Hussite Wars where firearms were used to a great success). There's a chronicle record from that time which states that the city of Hradec Králové (one of the most important cities in the kingdom back then) had 5 cannons, each with about 20 cannoballs, and 25 handguns. That's very much NOT A LOT. BTW first firearms started appearing around 1370. and BTW2 at 1390 price for a handgun was about 1/3 that of a cow. Fireamrs were suprisingly cheap.

1500 is a different story.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
"They burned my village and killed my parents!"

Wow it's everyone's first D&D character's backstory.
If the touted combat delivers, a shit story will not sink this game. However, the setting and supposed game play beg for a simpler story, if any at all. A conscript who just wants to survive the campaign would do. No frills, no twists - all medieval combat. The narrative would be "survive another year of war"; our side loses this time, and we return home with our lord in ignominy, but there's always next year! Then we're free to do whatever else it is we can do in this game, like starve to death or pick our asses.
""They burned my village and killed my parents!""

boo fucking hoo
welcome to the year 1500, that sort of shit happens every day.
So you're saying they nailed the setting with that story? :shittydog:

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Wait, so the MC has been completely redesigned? I liked the old one :P

Ok, ok, fine. :D
I'm surprised Warhorse of all people went for softening their MC's features. Then again, makes him look more average Slavic.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Voice acting is terrible.

Oh, fuck you. Compare the voice acting in this trailer to any Bethesda game, it's so much better it's not even on the same plane of existence. I think they should have gone for another take or three on the "whore's sons" line, but other than that it's great. Reminds me of some of the classic ham in the 90s/early 2000s Warhammer RTS games.

huskarls

Scholar
Good, there hasn't been a polished RPG since bitcher 3. Combat and story is already good enough so long as you aren't rolling every 2 seconds and chasing your bitch(s)

Sprout

Educated
I've always intensely fucking disliked actors imitating foreign languages by speaking with a stiff tongue and sounding all retarded. Plus what's even the point of trying to be historically accurate when you're dealing with a 600 years old language? It's as far from modern Czech as English is from German today.

Nobody has the faintest idea what's the mass-market demand for non-fantasy RPGs because nobody has ever made one (except Darklands, when there was no mass-market in videogames yet). It may be a total flop, it may also be a moderate or even smash hit.

Personally I don't see any reason why non-fantasy setting should be a problem in gaemz when it's completely normal in movies. Braveheart or Gladiator are commercial gold mines and nobody seems to care there are no dragons.

Sadly, for it to do well would actually require some decent marketing and a budget twice that of the game. There have been times when review scores, luck and word of mouth have managed to do the deed, but on shouldn't fool oneself to think that this is a regular occurrence. And yes indeed, history is actually less exciting to the gamer audience than sword & sorcery with dragons and shit. I honestly hope that they'll at least manage to cover development and make a modest profit. But I'm usually in a perpetual state of disappointment these days, why should this be any different?

vazha

Arcane
what kind of explosives did they used to have in 1500 Bohemia? sure, there was artillery and first early-form handguns/muskets, but explosives you'd be able to throw?
The game takes place in 1403 (almost 20 years before the Hussite Wars where firearms were used to a great success). There's a chronicle record from that time which states that the city of Hradec Králové (one of the most important cities in the kingdom back then) had 5 cannons, each with about 20 cannoballs, and 25 handguns. That's very much NOT A LOT. BTW first firearms started appearing around 1370. and BTW2 at 1390 price for a handgun was about 1/3 that of a cow. Fireamrs were suprisingly cheap.

Thanks for the info, though I already knew most of it (playing medieval:Total war (the first one) was a surprisingly enlightening experience, made me dig up quite a lot of info when I wanted to mod things for more historical accuracy). But the guy asked for explosives, which I though meant he was asking, well, for something that you could throw? like, a grenade... Sure there were naphta pots and stuff like that but was this a widespread practice?

Mark Richard

Arcane
> 15th Century Bohemia

Between everybody in Deus Ex: MD's Prague speaking with a Russian accent and this, I guess no voice actors in Czechia can speak English?

Looks very interesting and it's great that we're not getting another fantasy RPG but because of the above it won't sell as well as Skyrim or even Witcher 3. Graphic wise it's exquisite and minimal requirements reflect that. It would be nice to see it succeed but I'm not too optimistic.

Fair point. The Mount & Blade series has sold millions.

Smejki

Developer

Thanks for the info, though I already knew most of it (playing medieval:Total war (the first one) was a surprisingly enlightening experience, made me dig up quite a lot of info when I wanted to mod things for more historical accuracy). But the guy asked for explosives, which I though meant he was asking, well, for something that you could throw? like, a grenade... Sure there were naphta pots and stuff like that but was this a widespread practice?
No explosives until late 1400s. But there were several variations of incendiary weapons mostly used in sieges. From rockets to molotov-like grenades.

Santander02

Arcane
Not "explosive" but we could at least bathe our foes with greek fire while laughing like maniacs since the dark ages

BURN YOU WORTHLESS KNAVES HAHAHA

Codexlurker

Savant
...at 1390 price for a handgun was about 1/3 that of a cow. Fireamrs were suprisingly cheap....

If so ¿can you dual-wield firearms? Serious question, really.
Probably not??
0606da5d3e8ed94eaed123ddd7218c29.jpg

UnknownBro

Savant
In b4 steam rage because firearms are totally nerfed.

gonne_5.jpg

"THIS... IS MA BOOM-STICK! LOL"

PrettyDeadman

Can you saw-off your firearms and conceal them under your black leather trenchrcoat but then pull them out and blast evil child-molesting Pope in close range during the ball?
Can you wear sunglasses while doing so?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom