Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #3: Building the Kingdom + Gameplay Videos at IGN

I wonder how would Sword Coast Legends be perceived on the Codex if the devs had Avellone write a minor character...

I wouldn't be posting about this game if I hadn't verified that it wasn't like Sword Coast Legends.

Look at the videos man, it's plainly obvious that they're making what is effectively a Pathfinder total conversion of Pillars of Eternity.
The competiton between Deadfire and Kingmaker might get interesting.

Not only has Kingmaker MCA while Deadfire has not.

PoE uses preprocessed backgrounds and I always found Obsidian's argument flawed that this is more economic. The rationale is that the artists can add more detail, but if you look at the workflow they still start out with a 3D model of the scene and have to go through an entire preprocessing pipeline. The argument hinges mostly on whether the finishing touches of the artists and the added detail is worth the effort, which never has been proven.

On the other hand Kingmaker uses persistent 3D modelling in the game and if you look at the videos on IGN, which contain a good mix of indoor and outdoor areas, the level of detail is perfectly good for a game of this type. The devs at Owlcat have ten years experience with tools for the generation of landscapes which combine handcrafted and procedural elements. If I am not mistaken, they also have a large library of 3D assets for the bestiary.

It might end up in a competition who can build the more rich and rewarding game. PoE fell short in so many areas, including encounter design and the weak stronghold features, the lacklustre mega-dungeon is a major missed opportunity, Twin Elms is scaled down. It is not far fetched that these elements just lacked some more work, which is essentially a budget and efficiency issue.

If Kingmaker raises a comparative amount of funds, we may be in for a real treat, hopefully.

Whether it will be great though may depend on other issues, like whether MCA will have enough freedom to establish a process to do the lore of Pathfinder justice.

I dont think they will raise as much funding, but I would be happy to be wrong.

Xi

Arcane
Pathfinder > D&D IMHO. Had a long 4 month PnP going. Some great memories. Just don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this kind of stuff these days.

This looks awesome, but I doubt I have time to play it. Lol!

Life has become my new RPG. My character is still leveling up though. Talk about the work grinder....

If only I could be 15 again, and this stuff was coming out. Talk about heaven! When I finally retire I am going to be locked and loaded on some crazy video game shit. I'll probably die of a heart attack while playing. Can't waiT!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pathfinder > D&D IMHO. Had a long 4 month PnP going. Some great memories. Just don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this kind of stuff these days.

Life has become my new RPG. My character is still leveling up though. Talk about the work grinder....

If only I could be 15 again, and this stuff was coming out. Talk about heaven! When I finally retire I am going to be locked and loaded on some crazy video game shit. I'll probably die of a heart attack while playing. Can't waiT!
Go train your bank robbing skills and retire early :)

ikarinokami

Augur
I have 0 faith in this game making a pathfinder game with rtwp. the best parts of pathfinder is the lore and the great combat system built upon D&D 3.0. the whole thing falls apart in a RTwp system.

Xi

Arcane

Go train your bank robbing skills and retire early :)

Andhaira

Arcane
I have 0 faith in this game making a pathfinder game with rtwp. the best parts of pathfinder is the lore and the great combat system built upon D&D 3.0. the whole thing falls apart in a RTwp system.

While it won't reach the heights of greatness that was ToEE's combat, I think RTwP can work. Icewind Dale II is a good example, game was fun even though it was hacked 3.0e. The base combat system is the same as in the IE games that used AD&D2e, only adding AoO's and Five Foot Steps on top of it. The last will be the shakiest to pull off without turnbased, but it can be done. It will be better than PoE though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom