Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is your problem with timers? They are what make the game tense, and prevent you to wait 4 turns to reload every weapons, or move 1 dude at a time.

I'd rather have the pods removed instead.
The timers aren't always bad.
But each mission has them, which is just annoying to play.

Let some missions have them (where it makes sense), and have some without.
And, yeah, definitely remove that pod nonsense.
Actually, I think having them make more sense "lore-wise" would really have helped:
Like triggering as soon as you break concealment, instead of starting while the aliens don't know you are there (I know, "they saw the Skyranger", but then, why are they not active?).
And maybe have them a bit less strict: if the goal was to prevent camping patrols forever, they didn't need to be so short indeed.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Timers does not encourage people to "act agressive" it just encourages people to cheese their way. To build their teams on exploiting gme mechanics. The game eventually became NOT FUN. Comapring non-timer and timer X-Com is like comparing Sonic with Super Meat Boy. I can imagine replaying Sonic many times but never SMB. Because one is an easy and fun experience and other is a grinding horror, stressing players for the sake of stressing players. One delivers fun from experience, and other from the feeling of finishing this challenging and mecriles game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well in real warfare of type they simulated. You are acquiring info to not go into blind, and know map and how to get to the target. You also can create distraction. And typically, you can choose entry point.

They shown some distraction in opening video, but no more planting explosives. No more attacking guards with theirs own riffles by overpowered character. They fucking jumped the shark.

I think worse than timers was enemy power level creep. Blowing up that eye on every mission, before you even seen it in the story mission felt weird.

luinthoron

Learned
Xcom 2 ends by you finding out Elders were preparing to fight someone. I guess now we get to fight that someone. I don't have a clue how it is going to work.
Not just XCOM 2 either, XCOM:EU hinted at this as well.

I doubt they make an expansion as a stand alone post vanilla, generally they do mid content with the same campaign
Certainly seems like this, though, considering the "real war" tagline and the image. But I guess we'll find out in a few days.

baturinsky

Arcane
EW did timer right by making it soft objective. You did not lost squad and campaign immediately by not getting to orange container in time.
Invisible,inc did it right too - you had ticking timer, but when time "ran out" you just had stronger reinforcement dropped and such.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
EW did timer right by making it soft objective. You did not lost squad and campaign immediately by not getting to orange container in time.
Invisible,inc did it right too - you had ticking timer, but when time "ran out" you just had stronger reinforcement dropped and such.
Indeed, I prefer the way invisible Inc did it. I'm sad the game didn't sell more.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
PP demo? What's that? Elaborate bro, I can't see videos until the evening :negative:

*Oh I guess you mean Phoenix Point?

lightbane

Arcane
Weren't out there available multiple mods that modify or outright delete timers? Did someone try these?

True concealment was a must for me when I played this. Basically, timers don't start until you blow your cover. Made things easier, but also made more sense (why would the bad guys start self destruct timers on their own damn equipment the moment you step outside, and not 10 minutes ago or a week ago when your team got there?) and most importantly made it more fun. I could now afford to waste a turn waiting for patrol to move away while sneaking in for a better position, or do some recon while in stealth mode, or abort an approach if a hostile patrol appears and try another way. Made the whole thing feel more like a guerilla operation - sneak as close to objective as possible, go loud, retreat before reinforcements can converge on you.

Made things easier, but also made more sense (why would the bad guys start self destruct timers on their own damn equipment the moment you step outside, and not 10 minutes ago or a week ago when your team got there?)
Because they have detected your dropship?
two weeks before and then they destroy their own damn equipment 5 minutes after you actually deploy?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
LW 1.3 makes it even worse. They are not only soft but more frequent. Which means you are often drowning in enemies. They can drop 20 advent just because fuck you. LW 2 does not even compare to LW1 in terms of enjoyment. It's a chore.

ArchAngel

Arcane
LW 1.3 makes it even worse. They are not only soft but more frequent. Which means you are often drowning in enemies. They can drop 20 advent just because fuck you. LW 2 does not even compare to LW1 in terms of enjoyment. It's a chore.
That is not my experience with LW2 1.3 and 1.4. Maybe you should be moving more and overwatching in same spot less.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

XCOM® 2: War of the Chosen, is the expansion to the 2016 award-winning strategy game of the year.

XCOM® 2: War of the Chosen adds extensive new content in the fight against ADVENT when additional resistance factions form in order to eliminate the alien threat on Earth. In response, a new enemy, known as the “Chosen,” emerges with one goal: recapture the Commander. This expansion includes new Hero classes to counter the “Chosen”, new enemies, missions, environments and increased depth in strategic gameplay.

NEW FACTIONS & HERO CLASSES
Three additional factions have emerged to strengthen Earth's resistance – the Reapers, Skirmishers and Templars – each with its own unique abilities and contrasting philosophies. These factions provide powerful hero class soldiers to aid in missions and new opportunities for the strategy layer.

THE CHOSEN
The Chosen are the most cunning enemies XCOM has ever faced, each with unique strengths and weaknesses that will be introduced with each new campaign. The Chosen are on the hunt for the Commander and will kidnap, interrogate, and kill XCOM’s soldiers to complete their objective. The Chosen can also invade the strategy layer and ravage XCOM’s global operations. Find and raid the Chosen’s strongholds to defeat the enemy for good.

NEW ALIEN & ADVENT THREATS
A deadly new alien known as the Spectre, capable of creating dark copies of XCOM soldiers, has snuck onto the battlefield. Adopt new tactics to counter it as well as the explosive attacks of the ADVENT Purifier and the psionically charged ADVENT Priest.

NEW ENVIRONMENTS AND MISSION OBJECTIVES
Engage in tactical missions across new environments from abandoned cities devastated by alien bioweapons during the original invasion, to underground tunnels and xenoformed wilderness regions.

ENHANCED STRATEGY LAYER
Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed.

GREATER CUSTOMIZATION & REPLAYABILITY
Soldiers can develop bonds with compatible teammates for new abilities and perks. The SITREP system dynamically adds new modifiers to the tactical layer to make sure every mission provides a unique challenge. Advanced campaign options allow for finer adjustments to game length and difficulty.

CHALLENGE MODE
Utilize the perfect strategy in new regular one-shot community challenges to claim the top spot on the global leaderboard.

SHARE THE RESISTANCE
Customize and pose your soldiers, then add filters, text and backgrounds to generate your own unique resistance posters that appear in-game and can be shared with friends.

Requires XCOM® 2 game. Sold separately.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
These "Chosen" guys seem very.... cartoony but the whole expansion is interesting

ArchAngel

Arcane
These Chosen really just sound like a reskined Exalt. Same shit. I liked the exalt addition to Xcom 1 the least. Shit expansion for now. I am not sure if I even want to pirate this. I need to see if they fix strategy layer beyond what is listed and how the new tactical combat is going to look like. LW2 fixed both pretty well, if this will again be a downgrade I hope LW2 guys will again make a mod for it

Mazisky

Magister
The expansion doesn't really sound like the tactical-layer gamechanger that EW was with meld, mods and mechs. There is an Exalt-like addition to the strategic layer, that's cool. I guess I really want to hear more about the new maps and mission types.

New maps are 3 variants:

-Abandoned cities: postapocalyptic cities abandoned since EU time, with swarm of zombies

-Wilderness alien: Wilderness areas with alien contamination

-Tunnels: Sewer, subways, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom