Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fry

Arcane
He knows what frog helms were used for.

Pillars isn't a medieval warfare simulator.
Relax.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I mean if you are going for "realism" aspect there are many other wrongs in the game before you get to frog helms' existence.

Like flails being in the fast one-handed weapons category while maces are large one-handed weapons, rapiers dealing less damage than spears and what not. The whole weapon categories and their damage values are fucked overall.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Like flails being in the fast one-handed weapons category while maces are large one-handed weapons, rapiers dealing less damage than spears and what not. The whole weapon categories and their damage values are fucked overall.

Ask Sawyer about these discrepancies. He cares about this shit.

Prime Junta

Realism never was a primary objective with Pillars. Verisimilitude, perhaps, but even so, :balance: is paramount.

FreeKaner

I think there is a huge difference between complaints of realism such as using frog helms in battle when in reality they were jousting helms compared to realism which is about keeping internal logical consistency which is important to all fiction.

If giant hammers were fast one-handed weapons and people reacted to that, I doubt complaining about it would necessarily be a pedantic cry for historical accuracy.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
971057.jpg

If this man can theoretically become a british MP, I can wear a Frog Helmet into battle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I almost always hide helmets anyway, so whatever. If this universe's frog helms have practical use in battle then so be it.

FreeKaner

I think there is a huge difference between complaints of realism such as using frog helms in battle when in reality they were jousting helms compared to realism which is about keeping internal logical consistency which is important to all fiction.

If giant hammers were fast one-handed weapons and people reacted to that, I doubt complaining about it would necessarily be a pedantic cry for historical accuracy.

I honestly had to read that a couple of times because "realism" and "frog helmets" don't even belong together. I mean, holy Christ, I'm not busting your balls, but replace "realism" with "believability" and your entire post goes cha-ching for me.

Pig-faced bascinet and lobster-tailed pot helmet were actual helmets that were used in real life, too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The process for item design is different for Deadfire than it was for Pillars 1. On Pillars, I took a top-down approach. I wrote down all of our weapon types, established a number of unique weapons for each type, looked at our ability functionality, and designed the unique weapons around what we were currently capable of doing. I did this for practical reasons. We were building all of the gameplay code from the ground up and I knew there was a lot of functionality that we weren’t going to get in the initial launch. The 3.0 patch and The White March expanded that functionality significantly.

On Deadfire, the programming team refactored the entire effects system, including how item properties work. The system in Deadfire is much, much more powerful than it was in Pillars 1. While I still have a list of weapons to work with to ensure that each weapon type has a few nice uniques, I design them from a visual and thematic perspective first and then request types of powers to fit the vibe, trusting in the system designers to push the capabilities of the engine and the character artists to make something beautiful and unique.

It's like that thing Infinitron was talking about.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's like that thing Blaine was talking about:

You've "moved on" because you and people like you spend months desperately fawning over this shit, posting related news articles, Tweets, updates, et cetera, and end up deluding yourselves into thinking the next one will surely be good. It's the only meat on sale, and by God, you're going to chew it. The reason I haven't "moved on" is because I don't waste my time in these sorts of threads hyping myself into a delusional state of post-purchase rationalization. I post my thoughts very occasionally when my attention is randomly drawn here.

Talk is cheap. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in reading the recipe, imagining what it will taste like, or looking at nice pictures.

Chances are excellent you're going to get far more enjoyment out of the hype for this game than you will from actually playing it. Savor it while it lasts.

It's like that thing Blaine was talking about:

Talk is cheap. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in reading the recipe, imagining what it will taste like, or looking at nice pictures.

Chances are excellent you're going to get far more enjoyment out of the hype for this game than you will from actually playing it. Savor it while it lasts.

Fuck me, that's sad

pomenitul

Arbiter
I don't disagree in this particular instance but if hope is a limited resource (which it is) then cynicism can allow you to better apportion your enthusiasm.

Sizzle

Arcane
There's a certain number of posters here that feel so let down by PoE1 (and many of them have only played the initial version of the game, without the much superior TWM), that they take any news about the sequel, no matter how positive and incline worthy they may be, with the firm, iron-clad belief that it, too, will be shit.

Which is ok, everybody's entitled to their own opinions and expectations. But what I do find amusing is seeing the hate coming from people who, for example, hate RTWP games so much they will dislike any game with that sort of combat, regardless of how good or bad it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom