Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Efe

Erudite
i thought you recruited companions instead of generating your own party

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK so this is clear now:
Berserkerkitten Collaborator about 1 hour ago

Regarding the conflicting information about multiplayer and DM tools - right now, the official stance is no to both. Originally, back when the Kickstarter had just launched, there were internal discussions about this. You know, whether it might be possible. But in the end, the decision is to go with no, as to not raise any hopes and expectations for something we ultimately cannot deliver. We don't want people to feel disappointed if we get their hopes up for something we may not have the time and resources for. The thing we can absolutely deliver is a great singleplayer experience, so that's what we focus on.

Andhaira

Arcane
Looks surprisingly good if you ignore for a moment that it's Pathfinder.
What is wrong with Pathfinder?

Just personal preference - I don't like DnD / Pathfinder rules and (large parts of) the Pathfinder setting.

I agree there are a lot of other great rulesets they could use instead, however:

1) Pathfinder is free
2) It's built on a solid. understandable and familiar system that has survived many, many years of play and testing
3)It works quite well for a video game, albeit would be much better if it was turn based
4)We don't have to reply on devs making up a custom system. Just look at the retardedness that was PoE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
4)We don't have to reply on devs making up a custom system. Just look at the retardedness that was PoE.

The base flaw of the system, IMO is that Obsidian never really seemed to understand why characters could never run in the IE games; running straight into the enemy during melee is one of the main things that breaks the PoE system and makes it unfun.

Andhaira, you do know that the D&D/Pathfinder rulesets say nothing about how fast characters should be able to move in a RTwP computer game implementation of the system right

In fact, Kingmaker has already received criticisms that combat is too slow: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/09/pathfinder-kingmaker-could-scratch-your-dd-rpg-itch

The combat seemed slightly slower-paced than its peers--there were moments where I found myself waiting for the ticks of a D&D "turn" to go through.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them jack it up. :M

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Funding seems to be more constant than the usual Day 1 burst then dropoff; any idea whether I'm right, and if I am, why this is the case?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funding seems to be more constant than the usual Day 1 burst then dropoff; any idea whether I'm right, and if I am, why this is the case?

https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/

dailypledges.png
dailybackers.png

Word of mouth.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like said above and the fact that this campaign came out of nowhere and media picked up on it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
WTF, don't these guys have weekends? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1908717

Companions: Introducing Valerie, the Brevic Fighter
Posted by Oleg

Dear Pathfinders,

The Stolen Lands are a dangerous place! Fortunately, you will meet other brave adventurers on your quest, who will fight by your side or who may ultimately choose to betray you, depending on your actions. They all have their own story, their own goals and motivations, their own reasons to join you. They are your companions, who will help you build and rule your kingdom. Some of these companions are familiar faces from the Adventure Path. Some may even be popular Pathfinder iconics. Others are completely new. We are going to introduce them to you in a series of updates. Our first companion update is dedicated to Valerie.

5deb5a0b8fd032f363e0691b9a406e23_original.png

Due to her flawless, almost supernatural beauty, Valerie has been at the center of everyone's attention, even when she was still a child. Born into a noble Brevic family, the young girl soon became a shining star of high society. She quickly had to learn to resist the unwanted advances of her admirers, using cold arrogance and impeccable, distant manners as an impenetrable shield. Her father had chosen a great destiny for Valerie: she was supposed to become a paladin of Shelyn. However, the teachings of obedience and humbleness before the goddess of beauty and love appeared to be something that young Valerie wasn't too susceptible to - unlike the lessons of martial arts, which she mastered almost to perfection. The life of Valerie had changed dramatically when an act of blasphemy made her future path as Shelyn's paladin impossible. Having rejected the grace of the goddess, she left high society to take her fate into her own hands.

Today Valerie is not some nobleman's pampered daughter. Instead, she has become a seasoned mercenary, who has lived through dozens of battles under the banners of Swordlords. Having her gorgeous hair cut off and her silk dresses replaced by steel armor, she has broken with her past without hesitation. But is the past ready to stay behind the proud and confident mercenary? Even the kindest of gods don't take well to blasphemy, and the revenge of Shelyn may not only be harsh, but also incredibly poetic.

For those who appreciate her military talents, Valerie will become a reliable defender in every possible challenge. In battle, she uses a bastard sword and a tower shield. Valerie prefers full plate armor and defensive tactics: she waits patiently until the enemy reveals an opening, and only then she strikes with all her might.

4ec12d3bca83669bc10416a7aca0e7c2_original.gif

Valerie is a natural-born leader, who can inspire and rally people. If she gets an important role in the Kingdom governance, she can show her talents not only in state defense but also in the field of diplomacy. Although she once has rejected the path of a lady in high society, Valerie still knows how to behave in aristocratic circles and how to save face in conflict situations. Though she may prefer the way of the blade, if necessary, Valerie can actively participate in diplomatic maneuvers as well as in straightforward battles.

28f272767ef1fb7fc783b586935ab4e4_original.png

One more thing

Some of us here at Owlcat Games enjoy the dark setting and brutal gameplay of titles like Dark Souls. This is why the Kickstarter campaign for Blasphemous has caught our eye. It's a tough, side-scrolling platformer full of frantic combat, epic boss battles and swordsplay. If you are interested, check it out!

28f272767ef1fb7fc783b586935ab4e4_original.png

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

Chris Avellone writes Mary Sue. Is this going to be NWN2 all over again?

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
For all the shit I've talked about this game... It's still nice to see a new CRPG in the Infinity Engine style.

Don't think I'll be able to get over the bland Obsidian writing style, but I'll probably still buy it.

:negative:

Quillon

Arcane
The adventure path is supposed to be played with a custom group from the get go.

Doesn't that apply to all tabletop stuff? :P

Some of us here at Owlcat Games enjoy the dark setting and brutal gameplay of titles like Dark Souls.

Why do all devs need to say this? Such hardcoreness!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
From the Kickstarter comments: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/comments

@Vicki Maxfield - Regarding current development, we have a prototype right now, which contains about 4 hours of gameplay. Our launch will be in summer 2018, with all achieved Kickstarter goals included. Our beta is scheduled for the first quarter of 2018. The alpha is planned for fall this year. This will likely consist of a series of tests.

Fun fact - about a year ago when we started scheduling our project, we wanted to have a prototype ready and launch our Kickstarter campaign on May 31st, 2017. The actual launch date for our kickstarter was June 6th, which worked out almost exactly as we had planned the year before. So when we say this game is coming out in summer 2018, it's definitely gonna happen! :)

xT0BKn8hSjtftxLj20.webp

@The Cajun - Initial release will be Windows only, though we are hoping to target other platforms (Mac, consoles etc.) after.
Mat - we will release updates here on Kickstarter introducing the companions to you. The first one should be ready really soon! I'm talking to our developers about point buying/rolling for character stats now, let me get back to you.

Regarding the prototype of your game, it's more or less the complete 2nd chapter of the game and contains roughly one half of the 2nd book from the original AP. We're planning to have around 10 chapters total.

Andhaira

Arcane

It's Pathfinder. And not only that but they are converting one of the most popular APs (adventure paths)

There is no question that this will get funded, especially after those screens. This is going to be _the_ sequel to Icewind Dale people have been craving.I'm getting a mite excited myself.

Sort of a shame that the torch of crpgs is being taken away from Kwans by eastern Europeans and Russians but hey, they do deliver. Even Bioware was Canadian. Just hope the translation is up to notch, and there is no weird sense of humor which ruined Divinity Original Sin for me.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Icewind dale?
More like mix of BG1 and NwN2

Guess everyone sees what they want. I have a theory that "adapted from module" PC RPGs could be a sub-genre in their own right and that the game feel in the design will remind people more of the ToEE than anything else.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Icewind dale?
More like mix of BG1 and NwN2

Guess everyone sees what they want. I have a theory that "adapted from module" PC RPGs could be a sub-genre in their own right and that the game feel in the design will remind people more of the ToEE than anything else.
Maybe that makes sense for a random module but this one plays pretty much like BG. You are given X regions in all directions and then left to your own devices to find story and quests inside them by exploring in any direction you feel like it.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wonder if the kingdom building is gonma like king of dragon pass.

I doubt the PC will get to go on a trippy hero quest involving recreating the creation myths of their gods :D

No, but seriously, to me this looks more like a combination of NWN2's Crossroad Keep management, and PoE/DA:I "sitting on a throne making decisions, then realizing that, even though you are a ruler, you have no one to send when an actual problem pops up, and that you'll have to go out there personally to kill shit that needs killin'" mechanics :D
Actually they talked in the video how some problems you can assign to others to deal with and depending on who you send you are going to get different results. A greedy person will kill the bandits, take half the loot and give half to you but your subjects will be unhappy. A Good character will only kill the bandit leader, and give all gold back to your subjects raising happiness and morale but leave you with less money and still some bandits to deal with.

To be fair, that's not totally unlike DA:I, where you were in the keep and picked who/how to deal with each little whateverthefuck on the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom