Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker now on Kickstarter

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
or Harsk

latest

Not that I care, if the game doesn't allow the ability to create a custom party.

Sort of undermines Avellone's wish to have companions be "keys" to the story.

Works in Sawyer's world because in Sawyer's world companions are immaterial to the main quest.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I feel the flow of the combat with RTwP is much more intuitive in a party-based game than TB is as I don't have to stare at a long list of initiative portraits.

Cutting the rest of your post since it's mostly just opinion (which of course you are entitled to). But RTwP being more intuitive than TB seems clearly false to me.

TB initiative systems, which you mention, make it very clear the order that actions will happen. You know that Bob gets a turn first, then Bill, then Mook #1, then Jenny, then Mook #2, and so on. You have plenty of time to consider what tactical options are available to you, how the AI might respond, what kind of overall strategy to employ, etc. Battles are much easier to plan and predict even with the effect of the RNG.

With RTwP action times of course become a factor, and in my opinion they just create a lot of noise. For instance, let's say I see an enemy wizard charging up a fireball to throw at my dudes. The game might give me a number of ways to counter this -- I could cast a shield spell, throw a fireball back to cancel his, or simply try to move out of the way -- but which options are feasible? To really make an informed decision, I need to know how long it takes the bad guy to fire the spell, and how long it takes the projectile to land and explode. I also need to know how long it takes to fire my spells, if my dudes can break off any animation they are doing and cover escape distance, what that distance even is, etc.

Now you're in the territory of animation speeds and all that and you can't intuitively know these things in an RTwP system -- it's too chaotic and imprecise. Whereas in TB it would be simple because again, you have turn order, grid, etc.

I don't think RTwP necessarily has to be awful, but in most implementations I find it obtuse and unsatisfying. I think if I had to design for it I would opt for stripped down and streamlined combat systems -- whereas I consider D&D fairly simulationist and detail oriented and thus a poor choice for this type of game.

Quantomas

Savant
I know their creative and art directors. They are exceptionally competent and capable of creating outstanding charming and witty art.

Don't be fooled by the cartoony artwork in the KS video. That is Paizo's.

It's definitely a missed opportunity to have Mishulin talk in the KS video, as he is hard to understand particularly for non-native speakers. But I understand how this happened. They revere him and wanted him to say something.

Both are hard-working and talented. I'd say what they lack is mostly to come up with something truly visionary. But that is where MCA comes in. If they have elevated him to narrative director, they are going to honor this agreement and respect his word.

So there is the off-chance that this setup can produce something spectacular, maybe a PnP module conversion that can truly fly.

Dorateen

Arcane
or Harsk

Not that I care, if the game doesn't allow the ability to create a custom party.

Works in Sawyer's world because in Sawyer's world companions are immaterial to the main quest.

Do we know yet if companions are forced on the player? Can a player solo this adventure?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
or Harsk

Do we know yet if companions are forced on the player? Can a player solo this adventure?

No. All we know is that Avellone wants them to be key to the story.

Ulfhednar

Savant
For instance, let's say I see an enemy wizard charging up a fireball to throw at my dudes. The game might give me a number of ways to counter this -- I could cast a shield spell, throw a fireball back to cancel his, or simply try to move out of the way -- but which options are feasible? To really make an informed decision, I need to know how long it takes the bad guy to fire the spell, and how long it takes the projectile to land and explode. I also need to know how long it takes to fire my spells, if my dudes can break off any animation they are doing and cover escape distance, what that distance even is, etc.

No TT DM worth their salt would ever tell you what spell an enemy mage was casting, or how many rounds you have until he finishes casting the spell until it lands. Why should it be any different in the computer game?

ArchAngel

Arcane
the game decides to autopause because someone had his shoelaces untied or needed to pick his nose.
You can change that in the autopause menu... It takes like three clicks.

Because 9 times out of 10 autopause is useful. Except that 1 time out of 10 when it ruins your carefully timed manual pausing. Hence my demand for non-toggling hard pause.

Frankly, my grievances concern more the likes of EU etc; shitty rtwp rpgs don't even need a man behind a computer to win themselves, autopause or not.
This happened to me, fairly often, in Pillars of Eternity. It almost never happened in Baldur's Gate. You should not play shit games like Pillars of Eternity anyways.

deuxhero

Arcane
or Harsk

Depends on what you count as "companions". I really doubt you'll be able to avoid filling cabinet positions with NPCs, but those NPCs wouldn't all be adventuring companions (suggested NPCs in the module include stuff like "guy who ran trading post your first town is centered around", "exiled priest you helped restore a temple" and some otherwise minor characters)

Andhaira

Arcane
Fuck this looks sweet! Only thing better would have been turnbased combat, but other wise looks like the ToEE + Bladurs Gate 3 we never got!! With Pathfinder powering it we can guess it will at least play better than PoE

53230f1ce187637c28df7c05f5bc1d6f_original.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, while Paizo does that fucking awful art style targetered to the pink haired feminists and sensitive nu males that watched too much anime and got slowly insane, not all is bad news.

The module itself isnt all that bad, it is divided on six books and up to book 3 is a simple but enjoyable low level, open ended campaing where you mostly go exploring, killing shit while events slowly unfold, it is actually alot less epic than something like Baldurs Gate, you cant go much more epic than being the son of an edgy dead God.

The SJW inanity doesnt go beyond than the awful art style, as far as I read, there is no special snowflake trannies and no strong independent lesbo butchs on the module, unless those russians crap everything, the module itself is mostly inanity free.

I dont buy their choice for Rtwp however, kingmaker later enters on massive combat rules, do they plan to add rts elements to the game? If it is Rtwp to just blind ape other successful rpgs, im really not impressed.

Im getting tired of being decieved by both Avellone and all those third rate developers. It is shady bait and switch tactics.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's definitely a missed opportunity to have Mishulin talk in the KS video, as he is hard to understand particularly for non-native speakers. But I understand how this happened. They revere him and wanted him to say something.

I considered Mishulin the most convincing speaker in the video, definitely better than sleepy MCA, typical kwan Paizo guy and the other Russkies.

Quantomas

Savant

I considered Mishulin the most convincing speaker in the video, definitely better than sleepy MCA, typical kwan Paizo guy and the other Russkies.
That was not critical of what Mishulin said. Not at all. He knows his game.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Sentinel

Arcane
so it's also using the hyperlink system from tyranny...
did that game even do anything right? even the hyperlink system is complete cancer

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am intrigued, but I do not know much about Pathfinder or Owlcat. I just hope the stretch goals do not go off the deep end. Also, I am suprised that art assets make up just 29% of the budget. I always assumed art assets alone were 40-50%.

aaaf8c597cc012602d83cb0e77deac27_original.png

The article is nice, but the comments are even better.

Add this game to the list of thousands of generic top down isometric RPGs on the PC. Just 1 more reason PC players will use to convince console owners that PCs are far more superior.
I will pass

So you know the deal. Rockstar releases games on the console. 1 year later, when they find time they release it for the PC. Rocksteady may never release a game for the PC again because of the issue with Arkham knight. Stating tbey lost money and the issue was probably not even theirs. Too many different configurations.

And most PC ports of games are contracted to small 3rd party studios while the Triple A team creates the Console version.I get it ... you can play games at 4k 60fps. But when you think about it ... Minecraft still looks like sh!t
I'll give it a try, but I'd rather have a Skyrim style game set in the Forgotten Realms. Drizzt FTW.
Big fan of Chris since the good old days when we worked together at Interplay/Black Isle. However, as much as I loved Baldur's gate series and Planescape . . . I'm ready for that style of game to evolve. I'm not saying every RPG needs to be The Witcher III, but something between BG style and Full Action RPG would be nice. No not Diablo, maybe Dragon Age origins, but with a good writer, like Chris. Not DA2 or DA:I, those were ass. Just imagine TW3 with realtime stat based combat with a pause mode. You know, like DA:O on PC.

I'll still get this game, but man I wish games would stop trying to emulate 199

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom