Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #15: Official Title, Stealth System Overview

Latelistener

Arcane
It doesn't matter, since our world is just a dream of this fine doggie: :shittydog:

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It would be a nice tie-in with Double Bear. Maybe you could both continue to make games in the same "universe".

Just imagine a multiverse high on the new world:

ss_25abfd2aa029d877b3f89b373b29ca3a17779718.1920x1080.jpg

:flamesaw:

Aenra

Why would people disagree with the title? Can be a play, not necessarily taken literally. New World technically, philosophically, conceptually; or an outright parody of one, a pastiche gone wrong; decline, old norms taken to their extremes, the worst of our nature out in display, in-game C&C depending. And simultaneously, vague enough so as not to be cheesy, different from the stereotypical RPGish 'x' of 'y' score of titles. Also, Huxley says hello, for those few that.. nevermind.
Vague, open to interpretation is not the same as generic folks.

Now as to the cover art, i find it honestly perfect. Kubrick vibes, intentional or not, first thing on my mind. Second thing on my mind, age. This title addresses me. Not the fucking 12year old. Also dark, inviting, but stark. No eXXXtremes taken here for the easy eye candy.

And before the few of you intellectually capable of actual forward thinking get to it, let me answer it in advance: No. Not from these guys; they've already proven that they fucking read, they fucking think it through, they are mature and old enough.
The above stands.

Very good choices thus far. Not coincidentally, i've found most of their art equally pleasing, aesthetically speaking (see: portraits, concept screenshots, etc). I see previous monetary gains put to right use, i see an upping of style consistent thematically with the game at hand.

Aenra

P.S. Vault Dweller am not fanboying. If/when i find anything that sucks, trust me to talk about it just as fast :)

(have already i think, lol)

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I was just kidding. Colony Ship RPG would be a shit name for a game, and based on what the game is about, A New World makes perfect sense. I guess that was lost in my post.

Why are you guys taking everything so serious?

Tigranes

Arcane
I like the title, the only regret is the search engine optimisation. Might be OK if searching 'the new world game' anywhere yields this.

Drowed

Arcane
Age of Entropy was a better name as someone suggested, but codex will love it anyways I'm sure.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What a fucking imaginative name.

Fuck that generic shit, "Colony Ship", what does that even mean. "The New World" is memorable and instantly tells us what the game is all about.

It is clearly about killing Indians or bisexual psychokinetics.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As a raging fanboy, I say, move over, Mr. Fargo, 'cause there's a new RPG messiah in town, and his name is Vince D. Weller!

Seriously though, the concepts, descriptions and art looks amazing. I'm glad to hear about the name change, it's fitting. This continues to be my most anticipated RPG.
Can't wait to get more info about the game in the future, everything is shaping up nicely and appears very thoughtout.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Will there be in crowdfunding/way to give money for this game?
Crowdfunding isn't planned. Overall, we'll probably do what we did before:

- release a combat demo, then a proper demo and start taking pre-orders (this way people get to play something and see if they like it enough to support it)
- release 50% of the game as early access, which is the most straight-forward and honest way of raising funds during development. No promises, no stretch goals, no tiers. You try the demo, read player reviews, pay a fair price.

Rev

Arcane
Crowdfunding isn't planned. Overall, we'll probably do what we did before:

- release a combat demo, then a proper demo and start taking pre-orders (this way people get to play something and see if they like it enough to support it)
- release 50% of the game as early access, which is the most straight-forward and honest way of raising funds during development. No promises, no stretch goals, no tiers. You try the demo, read player reviews, pay a fair price.
Do you have any idea on when you should be able to get to those stages? Like end of 2018 for the combat demo, one year later the EA version, etc.?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From update #3:

2016 – pre-production. The goal is to have all systems, quests, and locations designed and ready, so that we have a clear blueprint to follow.

2017 – laying the foundation. Once the dungeon crawler is released, we’ll focus on the CSG. The goal is to get to the content-building stage fast but that’s a long journey, requiring the following 3 steps:

• Engine familiarity and systems/tools porting IF using Unreal 4; at least 6 months
  • All systems (character, crafting, inventory, dialogue, stealth, combat); probably a year
  • Models and animations. AoD has over 500 unique animations, so it’s not as simple as it sounds, but we should be able to do it in a year.

So IF everything goes well, we’ll have everything we need by mid 2018 and start working on the content. That gives me 2.5 years to develop the setting, factions, quests, characters and party members, which is plenty of time. I’m already working on the main quest and it’s shaping up well (good range of choices plus a really great fork in the middle where you can disregard what you’ve been working on until now – or continue if you still think it’s the best option – and change the goal and the endgame scenario and endings). More on that in the future updates.

Our goal will be to deliver a 4-location demo by the end of 2018 and start gathering feedback and tweaking systems, which is a crucial step. I assume it would take us about 6 months to make changes based on the feedback, at which point we’ll be ready to move forward once again. The next step is to get to the Early Access stage, which will require 50% of the content (it’s not an actual requirement but we don’t want to offer less). I’d say it would take us a year to get there, but if we can do it faster, it’s a bonus.

So, Early Access by the end of 2019, release by the end of 2020. So far it looks reasonable but it always does when the finish line is 5 years from now. Either way, we’ll keep you posted of our progress and since you now know what to expect and when, you’ll be able to tell the moment we get off schedule.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
FFS, people, whoever made that cover image - if you're reading this. Please consider not using chromatic aberration like that. I get some CHA with my glasses (strong prescription, thin material) already and it makes reading light text on a dark background a bit difficult.
Looking at this cover makes my head seriously spin, I actually got a little motion sick.

The trend of adding CHA to everything to make look more scifi is awful and I hope it dies soon. It's the lens flare of 2015+.

Rev

Arcane
Thanks for the answer, Vault Dweller.
Good luck for your project, I'll be sure to follow your updates and can't wait for the demo and of course the final game when it will be ready. :salute:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I liked The Sunless World better. But it's still gonna be the best thing since womyn.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Incline but honestly what's up with the generic names? First Dungeon rats, then this. Perhaps some kind of marketing move I don't understand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom