Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker now on Kickstarter

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
They are still leagues a head of these small projects. Most of the new big projects failed, because of cucknovashun and deplorable baseless ideas, not because of shitty project management. Even TTON would have been significantly better with combat, different writing style, stats and character customization.
That's why HBS is miles a head of other studios (they don't try to innovate something no one asked for, nobody needs and to create something for creative leads to stroke their ego). I don't even believe that usual small budget pixel vomits are projects to be noted. They have too much ego. If one guy has very good coding skills and other one has good writing skills they won't cooperate. I will of course support them as a form of charity when I will have more disposable income, but not because they deserve it. Let's make all babies fly! Into space...

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also it had a boring slow combat full of bad maps and uninspired enemies.

As opposed to what? :smug:

RTwP combat that would make the whole torture go faster

That's not how rtwp works, dummy.
It did in my games. WL2 I quit 1/4 through, and I managed to finish PoE. I didn't enjoy it much but at least it all ended fast enough to suffer through it.

Sentinel

Arcane

You can endure terrible encounter design (trash mobs specifically) in a RTwP game much easier than a turn-based one because the fights simply go by much faster. That's why turn-based is so bad in most games, because the encounter design is also shit and ends up padding the game for 20 hours. The only turn-based game with good encounter design that I enjoyed playing so far was ToEE. I wouldn't mind more suggestions, because turn-based can be very enjoyable. (and no, don't say DivOS, that game was terrible too)

mondblut

Arcane
You can endure terrible encounter design (trash mobs specifically) in a RTwP game much easier than a turn-based one because the fights simply go by much faster.

One, most sane TB games allow to speed up their retarded animations (or don't have any ass-scratching and nose-picking altogether) which is never an option for any retarded clickfest for obvious reasons.

Two, in a TB game you end your turn once per unit of time. An rtwp unit of time looks like this: "unpause, unpause, unpause pause unpause unpauseunpause pause unpause FFUUU it was supposed to be pause and not unpause you stupid piece of shit unpause unpause pause unpause FUUUU you bitch unpaused again when i needed a pause i am dead fuck you uninstall".

If any of the fucks who make rtwp crap ever actually tried to play their shit, they should have figured out by now that it needs a hard pause, for one. One which does not unpause.

Sentinel

Arcane
unpaused again when i needed a pause
What the fuck? How retarded do you have to be to unpause on accident? It's not like RTwP requires quick thinking and fast reflexes. If the game is paused and you moronically unpause it accidentally when you "meant to pause" (wtf?), then the blame's on you for being a retard.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This "TB is slow" argument is absurd, it's wrong half of the time and even when it's true TB is more fun to play anyway. Combat in TB blobbers is generally faster than in RT ones, and if we're talking about games with a tactical map then OK it's probably true more than half of the time (but roguelikes or Disciples of steel are faster than most Rtwp games while Serpent in the staglands, Of orcs and men or Aarklash Legacy are slower than TB ones), but anyway in both cases (blobbers like tactical map) TB is always more fun to play, it's based on your decisions and dice-rolling which is what you're expecting in an RPG, besides controlling a party in real time (with or without pause) always leads to combat be played by itself or other idiocies like party members partially controlled by AI ; seeing my characters walking towards an enemy while I didn't ask anything is terrible, I'd better not play the game, and that's often the exact reason why it's fast, it's because you're not playing it.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
unpaused again when i needed a pause
What the fuck? How retarded do you have to be to unpause on accident? It's not like RTwP require quick thinking and fast reflexes. If the game is paused and you moronically unpause it accidentally when you "meant to pause" (wtf?), then the blame's on you for being a retard.
He either used some of the autopause events that triggered when he wanted to pause himself or he is talking about Pillars of Eternity which is a terrible example of a good RTwP game and did have all the problems he talks about.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You can endure terrible encounter design (trash mobs specifically) in a RTwP game much easier than a turn-based one because the fights simply go by much faster. That's why turn-based is so bad in most games, because the encounter design is also shit and ends up padding the game for 20 hours. The only turn-based game with good encounter design that I enjoyed playing so far was ToEE. I wouldn't mind more suggestions, because turn-based can be very enjoyable. (and no, don't say DivOS, that game was terrible too)
ToEE had some good encounters but most stopped when you reached the Temple itself. Then it was just mass of trash fights, slow and boring ones with only an occasional good encounter.

KotC had good turn based combat from start until finish.

Oasis

Novice
I love RTwP. It's obviously way more tactical than RT and I feel the flow of the combat with RTwP is much more intuitive in a party-based game than TB is as I don't have to stare at a long list of initiative portraits. Everything feels more on your own time as you never have to just sit there while it's the enemies turn. The RT aspects adds to the tension as well. For instance, when I send a mage across the screen to some tactically advantageous position to unleash hell, everyone else isn't just standing around like a bunch of mannequins, the battle is still rages on and the mage must hurry! I'm not saying RTwP is strictly better than TB, i'm just saying it's AWESOME and I'm thankful Bioware created this subgenre and I'm especially thankful it still exists and is being pushed forward. IE games are great, but 2nd edition D&D is not. RTwP + Pathfinder ruleset = yes please.

mondblut

Arcane
What the fuck? How retarded do you have to be to unpause on accident?

Someone apparently has never played those very shit games he is salivating all over. You unpause by accident when you intent to pause and on that instant the game decides to autopause because someone had his shoelaces untied or needed to pick his nose.

It's not like RTwP require quick thinking and fast reflexes.

All the quick thinking and fast reflexes of rtwp goes into blasting the pause button fifty times per minute.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
This "TB is slow" argument is absurd, it's wrong half of the time and even when it's true TB is more fun to play anyway. Combat in TB blobbers is generally faster than in RT ones, and if we're talking about games with a tactical map then OK it's probably true more than half of the time (but roguelikes or Disciples of steel are faster than most Rtwp games while Serpent in the staglands, Of orcs and men or Aarklash Legacy are slower than TB ones), but anyway in both cases (blobbers like tactical map) TB is always more fun to play, it's based on your decisions and dice-rolling which is what you're expecting in an RPG, besides controlling a party in real time (with or without pause) always leads to combat be played by itself or other idiocies like party members partially controlled by AI ; seeing my characters walking towards an enemy while I didn't ask anything is terrible, I'd better not play the game, and that's often the exact reason why it's fast, it's because you're not playing it.

rtwp fans are slow

sstacks

Arcane
I've emailed with Chris Avellone and he said he's happy to come on the show. I will let you all know when a date is locked down.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So why isn't that lesbo roguey in the game

eEG2A57.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
the game decides to autopause because someone had his shoelaces untied or needed to pick his nose.
You can change that in the autopause menu... It takes like three clicks.

Because 9 times out of 10 autopause is useful. Except that 1 time out of 10 when it ruins your carefully timed manual pausing. Hence my demand for non-toggling hard pause.

Frankly, my grievances concern more the likes of EU etc; shitty rtwp rpgs don't even need a man behind a computer to win themselves, autopause or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom