Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Momock

Augur
The puzzles in PoR are perfectly fine and a nice addition for variety, same with Wind's quest. Shame on you for using guides for them! :decline:

And what in Circle of the Moon was so good that you rated it higher thant the rest? (when I played it I thought it was "fine" but it has too much big rooms full of nothing to traverse, it bored me and I droped it. Should I have insisted more?).

spekkio

Arcane
The puzzles in PoR are perfectly fine and a nice addition for variety, same with Wind's quest. Shame on you for using guides for them!
Yay, another "didn't bother me, so it shouldn't bother you" moron. :roll:

Puzzles: there are plenty of posts online about the two puzzles I mentioned (bikes, train). Players not knowing what to do is fine. But players NOT KNOWING if they're actually doing something wrong, that's a bad game design. Remember, that in a 'Vania sometimes you CAN'T advance due to lack of skill / item / etc. For both abovementioned puzzles I wasn't sure if solving them was possible with my current skill / item set.

Quests: How should I know that Long Sword will be required to complete one of the quest? I sold it and fucked myself over. Not a big problem, but you have to either keep all the shit you get the whole time (and grind for money), or risk that you'll sell sth that will become quest-related later.

And what in Circle of the Moon was so good that you rated it higher thant the rest?
- Massive incline after boring and lacking any challenge SotN,
- Difficulty.
- Encounter design (new enemies appearing in old rooms after a while).

You could also read my fucking post I linked to...

It bored me and I droped it. Should I have insisted more?
I have no idea.
I didn't like SotN, Torment, Silent Storm and many other games universally considered great. Do I plan to go back to them to "give them another chance"? Fuck no.

:rpgcodex:

Momock

Augur
spekkio said:
You could also read my fucking post I linked to..
I didn't see the links, somehow. :?

But it doesn't answer my question. It explains why it's better thant SotN only. I expected some mindblowing thing to occur latter in the game and redeeming it from the boringness of the first hours, but it looks like it was just your first more or less decent metroidvania and you give it the best note for the same reason fanboys give the best note to SotN.

Thanks for your answer anyway! :)

Hyperpube

Scholar
Was playing Inside. Got to about the halfway point yesterday, and at the time I was enjoying it because of the bleak creepy atmosphere, there were a couple of nice "man this game is dark and fucked up" moments by that point. However I was a still bit disappointed because the puzzles were way too easy( I had heard some youtuber say they were pretty elaborate but they really aren't). Finished it today, and I think the last 20 wtf minutes or so of the game were awesome, enough to excuse the puzzles and make me say I ended up loving the game.
Since finishing, I've also been watching some youtube story analysis on the game, and people are pointing out a lot of interesting details that I never noticed while playing, and that also makes me appreciate the game more

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished FotS, my allies slaughtered nearly everything.
Also had end of turn bug in Endless Space 2.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
About 3 hours into FEAR Extraction Point. I liked FEAR for the shooting and not the story, but now playing this I realise that the story really did add something to the original. The only interesting part so far was a room that went totally dark, then lights flashed on and off, and these banshee looking things would be in different positions each time. Going to push on but I may just replay FEAR if this doesn't pick up a bit

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I liked Extraction Point a lot. IIRC it's much harder than the base game (although that might be because I played the OC so much, I remember enemy placements by heart nowadays), and most of the gunz it introduces are p cool (muh minigun).

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked Extraction Point a lot. IIRC it's much harder than the base game (although that might be because I played the OC so much, I remember enemy placements by heart nowadays), and most of the gunz it introduces are p cool (muh minigun).

The encounters with soldiers feel basically the same, but there are some really fiddly enemies, like these ghost things that come at you super fast and wreck you hard. A few of them coming around a corner has surprise killed me a few times

Vorark

Erudite
Finished Vanquish.

The game was very fun at the beginning but turned into an annoying slog during Chapter 4. Fuck those QTEs that instakill if you miss them, I hate these cheap antics. That Crystal Viper enemy was fucking annoying with its energy blade, died twice because I wasn't aware the QTE would show up. And what about that Elena gal shouting "SAAAAAM!!!" nonstop by the end. The only acceptable QTE in the whole game would've been one to tell her to stfu.

Meh, was so looking forward to this game, talk about disappointment. Rate it :3/5:

At least I got my popamole fill for the whole year.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started fire emblem fates. Playing birthright first,the writing is cringy japanese shit, but i am,digging the levels and combat.

Also started obduction, isnt far yet, i will play nore this weekend

My current main are voidspire tactics and idishonornered 2

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I currently have 102 Stars of Destiny recruited in Suikoden V. Not much to go now. The start of the game (the 10 first hours, actually) are so damn slow paced and boring. It's a fun game after that. Can't say I love the major battles, but I'm still getting a Victory+ on them. Not that hard when you've played the game before, I guess.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Spent a lot of time on Rimworld, it was a let down in the end. I liked building up from nothing but pretty soon I build everything had a solid base and then there was nothing else to do... I could do little raids on other stuff but there was no point. If I am going to play a game where I build for the sake of it, I would rather play something like Fortresscraft where at least you can explore your creations in first person and it feels better to travel around the world.

I also played Watch Dogs 2 which surprised me because it wasn't as dumb as most driving/shooting games. Although my interest is waning even though it isn't bad.

HansDampf

Arcane
Was playing Inside. Got to about the halfway point yesterday, and at the time I was enjoying it because of the bleak creepy atmosphere, there were a couple of nice "man this game is dark and fucked up" moments by that point. However I was a still bit disappointed because the puzzles were way too easy( I had heard some youtuber say they were pretty elaborate but they really aren't). Finished it today, and I think the last 20 wtf minutes or so of the game were awesome, enough to excuse the puzzles and make me say I ended up loving the game.
Since finishing, I've also been watching some youtube story analysis on the game, and people are pointing out a lot of interesting details that I never noticed while playing, and that also makes me appreciate the game more
Those "puzzles" (what an insult to other puzzle games) paired with lots of trial&error stunts were the reason why I refunded this game after 30-40 minutes. Sure it had a good atmosphere. But it felt like the game was messing with me, in a bad way. I gave up at the part where you have to climb back and forth over a fence multiple times to trick the hounds. So tedious and boring... Then I watched the ending on youtube out of curiosity. It looked like it tried to be edgy for edginess sake.
I really don't understand the high review scores this game got. 2edgy4me

Hyperpube

Scholar
Those "puzzles" (what an insult to other puzzle games) paired with lots of trial&error stunts were the reason why I refunded this game after 30-40 minutes. Sure it had a good atmosphere. But it felt like the game was messing with me, in a bad way. I gave up at the part where you have to climb back and forth over a fence multiple times to trick the hounds. So tedious and boring... Then I watched the ending on youtube out of curiosity. It looked like it tried to be edgy for edginess sake.
I really don't understand the high review scores this game got. 2edgy4me
I agree the game is overrated. I said I ended up loving the game, but that's probably too strong of a word. A better way to put it would be to say I was satisfied with what I paid for it. My enjoyment/satisfaction was likely due to the fact that I got it in the $12 Humble Monthly bundle that came with three other games I wanted to play(dirt rally, turing test, and this is the police). I enjoyed the game, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it for full price.(even $5 is stretching it). If anybody finds it in another bundle with a couple of other games they want though, I'd say it's at least worth checking out

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
My first Thief was actually 3, and for a few years, I only played it and Chaos Theory, besides Morrowind and Medieval Total War. Well, recently I got dead tired of gaming, but I wanted to play The Dark Mod before I try and cycle to some old school, just to see if all gaming is dead.

The shit ploughs my frame rate a new one, but its my old comp to blame. Too bad, because I was immersed in TDM's mechanics, I just couldn't look in the direction of a light source.

I know Thief's thin on the steampunk, but if I was designing a true Thief, I'd at least do some interesting clockwork stuff, instead of going "yup, its there." A good Thief balances gothic, paranormal, and steampunk. While TDM's mechanics are superb, none of the modules seem to offer much.

Krivol

Magister
So I bought Crysis on GoG. Got bored after first 3 hours...
would have told you that myself

And I heard Crisis 2 and 3 are even worse...

Well, I missed a lot of popamole games due to shitty rig, so I'm trying to play some of them after buying a new PC - some kind of graphic-fagism related to a new toy. Totally not worth it, I even got bored by Witcher 3. I am thinking about installing Open X-Com and replaying it for the 6th time this year :negative: .

From the other side I had few nice hours with Shogun 2, but Kawaii is not my favourite setting...

Any 1-5 years old games with decent graphics that are not dumbed down piece of shit?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I've been playing Vampire:The Masquerade this weekend, got it of GOG for like $1.50.
A really annoying 'feature' of windows 10 meant that I couldn't save the game as the folder was read only and it wasn't recognising the folder permissions. Game would say that the save file was being overwritten, but it wasn't...

Anyway, I think it's going to go in the 'should have played it at the time' category, I've done the first real mission as a vampire where you get back the page of Nod, but it just plays too slow and the mouse move only is irritating af.
Last weekend was Hollow Knight, which was amazing.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Ass Creed III. I've been teaching myself French for the past 4 months, every day for 124 days now. Figured it's about time I start playing some games with French voice-overs. So that's what I'm doing, Assassin's Creed III with French v/o & subtitles. Doubt I directly understand more than a third of what's being said, but it's Assassin's Creed so I can still follow what's going on easily enough.

Done with Ass Creed III. Was an utter slog at times, especially towards the end, but I finished it. And it served it's purpose, I guess. Moving on to French Black Flag.

Deleted member 7219

Completed Resident Evil 7.

Fun. Better than the last two entries in the series at any rate (Resident Evil 6 and Revelations 2). Exploring a creepy mansion estate, save rooms, limited ammo, not fighting hordes of enemies felt very Resident Evil even though the story was self-contained. As a storyfag I do hope they link it to the rest of the franchise in the story DLC/sequel though.

I enjoyed the gameplay, the atmosphere, and the presentation. Very well optimised too (ran near max settings on my GeForce 960 - had to cap it at 30 FPS because my processor is shit, but no lag or framerate drops). Early sections reminded me of Alien Isolation. Alien Isolation is still the better game, but 7 was a decent effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
From the other side I had few nice hours with Shogun 2, but Kawaii is not my favourite setting...
Talking about the mods? I was disappointed by the pickings as well, most of the trash pouring out of S Korea. I modified my game with PFM and taw's tools (the official tools were weak) till I liked what I saw. Overhauled the research trees, building chains, restricted units to certain factions and regions, even tweaked AI. What killed it for me, and the franchise, was Realm Divide. I never gave Rome 2 a chance, because they disappointed here.

RD is the soul of shovel ware, not even trying to balance their game. The event's hard coded, so unless you modify all factions from nihon to a foreign culture, it will always be there. Worse, it forcefully breaks all diplomacy, a central mechanic of the series, which CA actually improved upon from Empire.

"Why not just bump up the renown threshold to make RD impossible to trigger?" As with all Total Wars, the AI's a hazard to itself, so it's only recourse are cheats like Realm Divide, free units and spawning stacks, and immunity to the occupier malus.

The franchise is dead to me, unless some serious effort to innovate is shown in their next release. /totalwar

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Completed Resident Evil 7.

Fun. Better than the last two entries in the series at any rate (Resident Evil 6 and Revelations 2). Exploring a creepy mansion estate, save rooms, limited ammo, not fighting hordes of enemies felt very Resident Evil even though the story was self-contained. As a storyfag I do hope they link it to the rest of the franchise in the story DLC/sequel though.

I enjoyed the gameplay, the atmosphere, and the presentation. Very well optimised too (ran near max settings on my GeForce 960 - had to cap it at 30 FPS because my processor is shit, but no lag or framerate drops). Early sections reminded me of Alien Isolation. Alien Isolation is still the better game, but 7 was a decent effort.

Resolution scaling is godsent when you want to run something on older hardware but yeah, game seems to run pretty well. I'm actually impressed how they managed to sort of translate the clunkiness of old tank control-style games into FPS. You don't feel like Rambo mowing down zombies left and right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom