Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter TEKKEN 7

I can do korean backdaashes (albeit a little slow).
Hardest part for me seems what to do (how to open up opponent, punish, when to take iniative, how to deal with eddie).

Most of the time, just a double backdash is sufficient to put enough distance between you and the opponent. Focus on doing it cleanly (i.e. never stop holding back or you'll be vulnerable during the dash animation).

Opening scrubs up (i.e. most people playing online) is easy to do because they don't understand the concept of safe moves and punishing. They will usually try to punish a safe move with a big move of their own (that in turn is vulnerable to punishing), so it's basically free if to throw out a safe low, backdash and punish their whiff.

Scrubs also don't know the properties of short strings, so they won't know when to crouch and punish (for instance, Jin's 2, 4) and will be stuck in minus frames all day.

However, against decent opponents, the game kind of falls apart a bit and you see this very clearly in tournaments - most matches consist of both players backdashing and whiffing relatively safe moves; there's very little 'opening up'. Dashing in offensively is only a sure way to eat a CH to the face and be juggled for 60%+ damage. If someone actually manages to close the distance, in competent play you'll mostly see safe pokes like King's df+2, or d+4 until backdashing resumes. It's pretty fucking boring.

I partly blame throws being so weak in this game. Against good opponents, you'll almost never be able to actually land a throw. Virtua Fighter was 100x better in this respect. Especially prior to VF5, throws were instant (there was such a thing as moves being only throw counterable) and you have to escape the correct throw (i.e. if Akira throws you with df+PG, you have to input df+PG to escape the throw). Throws would also 100% catch evades. It was impossible to crouch throws on reaction, which is possible in Tekken.

Another part of the game being like this (i.e. lacking a 'controlled offense') is the fact that evading is for the most part very unpredictable.

Anyway, playing Tekken 7 online isn't really a competitive environment for the most part, so learn your safe strings - preferrably find a move that gives you advantage on block (those are rare) and bait out a CH. A lot of the roster has pretty insane damage off of CH safe moves. What character do you play as, btw?

re: Eddie, most bad Eddie players (i.e. most people) will mash out his low strings and never enter RLX stance, so parry low after the 1st hit and learn your biggest combo off of that parry. Once they get bodied by 2 parry combos in a round they'll freeze up, so you can do whatever you want.

Perkel

Arcane
I like DOA for counters. Regardless of attack you can counter it. So there are no "safe" moves aside from few "charging" ones that have big window of opportunity to punish someone for using it.

Didn't the latest DoA have a few VF guest characters?

Btw, what exactly is the season pass for Tekken?

sullynathan

Arcane
Picked up the game and it runs well enough on my system, it's not 60fps but it stays above 50.

I'll play more in a while, but so far it's the tekken I know and love and felt better than tekken 6.

Meh, cannot get past chapter 8 in story mode. I'm forced to play some redheaded fuck who seems to be not a Tekken character, and sure as shit doesn't feel like one controls wise. Can beat Heihachi first time, but the second time he has some sort of super armor most of the time and I cannot do shit to him. Redheaded fuck also has some bar called "EX" which I have no idea how to use.. If that weren't enough they put an unskippable cutscene before a second fight, which makes me ragequit eventually, only do be forced to do entire chapter again later. Close to giving up the story mode at this point. Was enjoying it until this retarded fight though.

Last edited:
Never touched story mode. In my opinion, they should have spent the energy they put into it into making a proper tutorial for new players.

i deleted something to have enough space try this, i can't ever recall what, that's how memorable latest games are.

the story mode feels on par with tekken movie, and people speaking different languages and still answering to each other doesn't help. maybe i grew as an entitled brat (but we all are, according to kotaku), but the game content seems underwhelming, there's very little to do other than collecting retarded, truly retarded, customization items. and the ai seems very easy to beat, despite me having trouble with forward dashing and running and related moves (but hwoarang's moveset seems intact, which helps a lot).
it's faster than i remember, faster than i'd like, which makes defensive play much harder, which destroys the reason i loved tekken over any other fighting game: "think before you mash buttons, because the opponent will know your moves, block them and strike right through your openings". also i experienced some attacks draining energy even if blocked: what's this travesty?

Single player content in fighting games is like the back of the bus. That's why gaming 'journalists' cream over absolute, unplayable garbage like Injustice 2, which panders to their sensibilities of collecting loot and seeing xp bars fill up, to the detriment of small things like oh, animations that aren't completely off the charts, batshit bad.

Don't be like them.

If you want to complain about content, then complain about the lack of a proper tutorial and a better training mode. This game would benefit a lot from having a fleshed out trial mode (they could use this for more than just combos - explaining crucial concepts like punishing, backdashing to bait a whiff, etc.), more robust recording tools in training mode, a more comprehesive movelist (with frame data) featuring a distillation of each character's most useful moves (complete with situations when they might be used) and more than a couple of sample combos listed for each character, and the list goes on. These are all valid suggestions.

Also the matchmaking is kind of busted, lots of connectivity errors for a lot of people (I can't play with a friend from the same city, we share the same ISP, for example). When you do get a decent connection (4 bars+) it works well, because the game was built from the ground up to account for latency (there's an innate 8 frame delay even offline).

Complaining about muh story mode and computer opponents being easy is very silly.

That said, I'd pay money (like serious money, as in the price of the full game) to be able to turn off these shitty character customizations. I swear, people come up with the most retarded combinations and fighting cunts with showers on their heads, hit sparks from the 60s Batman tv series and moose masks kinda kills my drive to play.

There was a lot of care put into the default costumes, it's a shame that they're almost never seen because people prefer to dress their character up like a mongoloid.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I like the customization, I've made a lot of cool costumes with it. However, it's true the vast majority of people seem to prefer slapping a bunch of random, silly, brightly colored garbage on their character instead, for the sake of being as obnoxious and stupid looking as possible. It's both a blessing and a curse. Shame, really.

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
Same thing happened in TF2, ruining that game's sharp art design too. But customization is the opiate of the masses.

PrettyDeadman

True.
At first I decided to make Dragunov look like pink power ranger, even changed my name to pink demon. Later I understood this is just stupid and remake him into a leather bad-ass, a mix between hard gay and snow villiers from final fantasy XIII.
Now I am Leather Bandit, add me on steam.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This is my Dragunov customization:

4349ae5b46.jpg

And my Katarina one, which is just her default but with the coat and sunglasses removed.

b7fc7a2f48.jpg

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I broke down and picked it up. If anyone wants to play, add me on steam.

Shame it has no Baek though. :(
Guess I'll have to go back to Law/Paul. At least they're always in every game, so semi-maining them since Tekken 1 hasn't failed me so far.

shows you how much Namco changes their game. Tekken 7 has the same input bugs as Tekken 3, which came out 20 years ago. It's pretty hilarious, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom