Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is that? They seem fine to me.

Cadmus

Arcane
I actually got beaten by the enemy forcing me to draw my entire deck and when I had nothing left he kept pulling "both players draw 2 cards" so he got like 4 more cards than me, lol. Never seen that before.

Cadmus

Arcane
Played my shitty st deck against special st deck. I focus on dealing damage but he played almost no cards. Got rekt again

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bought 60packs and ended up with 6 gold (including a few premiums) and a lot of epics (including premiums). Glad that paid off -- I've read some horror stories about people opening 60 packs and getting like 1-gold and that's it.

Humanophage

Arcane
I am running a Skellige deck, mostly because I got a bunch of purple blues and Hjalmar early on. On rank 6-7, practically no one is playing purples, though they were more common in unranked games. I mostly get either black or green opponents, with the occasional red and blue. I only encountered one purple in the last 25 games.

So far, I am most annoyed by greens: they just get a ton of dwarves, often with resilience, who keep boosting one another without even interacting with the opponent. I am starting to think I should spend some resources on the 3-unit reset, or perhaps the mirror spell, though it appears that it can backfire. Green players, what decks do you find most obnoxious?

At this stage, I am most efficient against blacks (6 wins, 2 losses in the last 25 games). It is especially amusing to do things to their spying units like the rotting cow, which can be transformed into a bear by Gremist, or harmlessly disarmed by a ship.

(I should say that Hearthstone seems more elegant to me at the moment with regards to mechanics, but everyone and their mother has a ton of orange cards, so it gets intolerably frustrating once you climb the rankings. I applaud Gwent's limitations of the number of rares.)

Last edited:
I'm trying to complete the last Monster deck challenge in singleplayer (in order to get the Dagon card), but it's proving to be a nightmare. The opponent has like 5 weather cards at any one time and the 3 Crones plus a Leshen in the first two turns always bring it up to like 30 points. And then it skips, leaving me at least 2 cards short if I don't wanna lose the first round. Then in the next round it can cover all three of my rows with fog. Come the third round, it sometimes even pulls out an Avallach and that meteor shower shit in the same round. Fucking impossible.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
If only there was a card that cleared weather on your side :MBut yeah, that fight was tricky.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It is probably the hardest challenge, yeah. On the other hand the 1st round always plays the same (and probably the other two, not too sure about it) so you can plan accordingly.

Grubba

Arcane
Bought 60packs and ended up with 6 gold (including a few premiums) and a lot of epics (including premiums). Glad that paid off -- I've read some horror stories about people opening 60 packs and getting like 1-gold and that's it.

I think overall the drop rates have improved dramatically. I've busted open maybe around 225 kegs since open beta started and I've pulled 22 legendaries (four premiums), so about the same rate that you got. We were probably on the luckier side of the spectrum but I think the frequency of epics/legendaries has definitely gone up since closed beta (premiums for sure). The "horror story" people are a very vocal minority and unlucky but it's always going to happen, unfortunately.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I've not tried the Witcher 3 version of Gwent at all, and honestly expected the standalone game to be shit, but after randomly watching the tournament and playing the Open Beta, I am pleasantly surprised.

Mainly by how different the game is from MtG. Majority of digital card games I've seen are, in terms of core mechanics, iterations on Magic. This is something that bothered me about Hearthstone from the very beginning (before it became clear to me that developers didn't give a shit about competitive play) - that it basically felt like simplified MtG with a lot of fun stuff stripped out. In terms of core mechanics, Gwent is actually even simpler than HS, but it's also really different to the point that I had to spent a fair amount of time just grokking the basics.

I don't know if this is still unfamiliarity, but Gwent certainly seems more complex on average than HS or MtG, in terms of decision making within a given game. Main reason for this is the lack of resource constraints and large opening hands, which result in lots of possible plays and decisions right from the beginning; whereas in resource-constrained card games, you often just end up making the one play you can in a given round. Remains to be seen whether there is real complexity here or if it's all fake, but it certainly looks promising.

Card design in the OB is pretty good as well, balance issues aside. Art is also very good and consistent in style.

Guess we'll see how it develops, but for the time being, I'm having a good time playing my few games of ranked per day.

Grubba

Arcane
If you can even get a ranked game in all the way to completion. Past couple days I've had disconnects/crashes that resulted in a loss, even though I would've won the goddamn game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Damn, my Northern Realms deck got a lot stronger. My almost pure-spells ST deck took a -8STR hit across the board, though, not including those little elves no longer getting boosted from gold spells.

Dunno why they shit on Skellige so much. It was a solid deck, but not that impressive.

The change to John Natalis alone might make the 'siege' NR viable.

It pisses me off to see the amount of bitching and moaning of some people about the weather cards. They have been a thing in the meta since closed beta, and if you don't have any form of weather removal you are doing it wrong. If you don't draw any, you are doing it wrong too! Clear skies isn't a dead card anymore since late closed beta, and every faction has a unit that clears weather in its row! Most units can be played to any row!

Then you run into some retard with a 40-card deck and bait him into playing his only weather removal early on, then proceed to kick his ass because he can't find anything else in that fat deck, and "weather's too strong".

Next thing they'll tell me that Saudi Arabia is blockading Qatar because of "terrorism". People say the craziest things.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm still sorta winging it with my Clan Tuiserach deck - bears, tuiserachs, Lugos, White Frost, drought, freyas and it seems to work somewhat. What really fucks me up is assholes eating my fat stuff from the graveyard.
Tried making a pure Morkvarg deck, just Mork and stuff that buffs him lol. It actually worked pretty well for a few games but I guess I got lucky the enemy didn't have enough locks.

Priestess of Freya says "doomed" but I can ress her from my graveyard and she can be eaten - what gives? EDIT: I see it means they can be discarded but not destroyed, aha!
With the new scrap reward it annoys me I just milled stuff for like 400 scrap...woulda been double that if I did it in a week.

Retards complaining about weather really are retarded, but that's what you get for reading leddit. Reading the shit there gives me rectal cancer.

As opposed to the CB I'm trying to make random retarded decks with every faction to finally memorize what does what, it's more fun that way. I think my winrate is probably much lower than 50% though so I guess I suck bad.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, weather seems mostly fine to me as well. The Gold weathers feel like they have too much value, and are essentially "Clear Skies or pass" checks, but they're getting nerfed this patch. I had hoped the Frost change would go through as well, because it would allow more counter play without outright clearing it. Against Fog or Rain you can manipulate your cards on a row to minimize the damage, but this is impossible against Frost, especially if your deck has few agile cards and you can't help but stack a particular row.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah, weather seems mostly fine to me as well. The Gold weathers feel like they have too much value, and are essentially "Clear Skies or pass" checks, but they're getting nerfed this patch. I had hoped the Frost change would go through as well, because it would allow more counter play without outright clearing it. Against Fog or Rain you can manipulate your cards on a row to minimize the damage, but this is impossible against Frost, especially if your deck has few agile cards and you can't help but stack a particular row.
I think Frost is really fine, they all are. There really is plenty clear weather units, the mages and clear sky itself. Nerfing it even more I think is redundant. But what do I know...
Basically, people are crying that weather does anything at all and they have to defend against it whatsoever. Look at the options for dealing with weather and then look at the option for dealing with shit that eats your graveyard for instance.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Got the free beta from GoG and the game is really nice ... until you get to play to someone with better cards.

There is a card which is doing 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 damage and that shit is abused by a lot of people.

Also there is another card which summons a meteor shower.

I win 90% of the fights until I meet one of these assholes.

* Also monsters decks are kicking my ass.

Got the free beta from GoG and the game is really nice ... until you get to play to someone with better cards.

There is a card which is doing 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 damage and that shit is abused by a lot of people.

Also there is another card which summons a meteor shower.

I win 90% of the fights until I meet one of these assholes.

* Also monsters decks are kicking my ass.

Yes, those are things early on. Ragh Nar Roog isn't that big of a deal, as it only hits the strongest unit in each row, but it seems fairly common for a gold card. You won't see it higher up in the ranks as bronze or silver weather cards that can be tutored or recycled (and don't take a gold slot) are much more effective. Besides, one weather clear effect and it's gone. With regular weather you can bait the other guy into wasting his weather clear effects too soon.

Anyway, gold weather is going to get gimped so hard (strength 2 down from 3, so it will be like 3-row fog or rain) that it will probably stop being used altogether. While I'm blathering about weather, single-row weather clearing units are so good that in some decks I don't include clear sky anymore .

Also, the starter decks are really good, especially the monsters one. Wild hunt as a theme is easy to develop and it works well most of the time (also, get some drowners to drag units in and out of weather-affected rows, harpies for openers and closers and some griffins to cover your ass).

v1rus

Arcane
Pity timer is a fucking lie. I repeat, pity timer is a fucking lie.

Opened 5 more packs today, and no golds. So, I decided to do a little experiment - I havent crafted or DEed a single card. Sat down, and counted the total number of cards, excluding leaders - got 320 of them. Created a new account, and counted the number of cards you start with (excluding leaders again) - 93 cards, which fits perfectly - I got one card for level 10 or something, and premium Geralt for closed beta. So, I have started with 95 cards.

320 - 95 = 225

225/5 = 45

So much of the fucking pity timer. Sadly, this evidence isnt irrefutable and i can't really prove it = I could have opened a gold, scrapped it, and crafted a common. But, trust the bro = there is no pity timer, or it isnt set to 40 kegs.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I think Frost is really fine, they all are. There really is plenty clear weather units, the mages and clear sky itself. Nerfing it even more I think is redundant. But what do I know...
Basically, people are crying that weather does anything at all and they have to defend against it whatsoever. Look at the options for dealing with weather and then look at the option for dealing with shit that eats your graveyard for instance.

Frost feels better than the other two Bronze weathers, and it's also less interactive than them. It's more or less fine in its current state, but I wouldn't mind the change they were apparently considering. Anything that makes you think more about how you place your cards is good.

And that's a dumb comparison, as well. Shit that eats your graveyard *is* an answer to graveyard-oriented strategies (rezzing a 20 power Brokvar Hunter in R3 for example), you're not supposed to be able to protect yourself against it easily. Weather is a lot more ubiquitous, any deck can run it, and so it needs universal answers. The reason it's mostly fine now is that each faction has a pretty decent row clearing bronze unit. If not for that, you'd literally always lose value on Clear Skies or a mage, which is one of the reasons mages are getting buffed next patch.

To run with your comparison for a second, if anti-weather cards were as strong as anti-graveyard ones, they'd do shit like "Clear weather in a row. If any weather was cleared this way, boost by 8". Imagine a 3 power bronze which does nothing but remove a card from your opponent's graveyard. That's the level most weather clears are at.

For the record, I think weather is perfectly fine in its current state, though I do think the Drought/RnR nerf will make lower MMR play a bit less frustrating without really impacting higher levels.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Weather's pretty powerful, but it's not the end all be-all. They've done a much better job of making sure the units who can affect or deploy weather are appropriately strengthed. That said, they're buffing a lot of Monsters for some reason so I expect to see even more of that.

I do hate that they're nerfing Reavers, but -2 to each across the board is about 8-10pts in a game (usually have revives). Reaver combo usually blows people out anyway. But it is NR's only current win condition so it seems a bit iffy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom