Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

hell bovine

Arcane
Out of what's here, I'd honestly go for passerby's suggestions. The idea of Victorian frames are cool but without an actual artist doing work on it specifically it's currently way too jarring.
Well fuck it, I just decided to add a 2px accent to the wood background and about 10 px of faint-ish shading to the original main menu background to achieve a wood cut out effect and here's the result. Look at the skull and the bottom border, I think it looks p good and not too jarring/overly creative.
ugtzxW3.png
The problem with all those "patterned" backgrounds is that they kind of... dimnish (for a lack of better word) the effect of the original design.

In the original, the wooden background makes the menu stand out, because it contrasts with the black surrounding it. When you add a similar wooden effect all around, this contrast isn't as strong and the menu looks lost in all this "woodennes". On the other hand, in the 'fade to black' picture the darkness is just too much.

- Which is why I liked the mage & dwarf version the best. It didn't tinker with the contrast, but did away with the darkness monotony. If you can't find any high-res art, maybe a steampunk-styled photo would work?

passerby

Arcane
I like both, fade to black and this wooden cutout. If you'll keep fade to black too, you can make fade shading thinner.

But honestly what this game needs the most at this point, is some serious combat mod:
Cut most of the filler trash mobs from dungeons like for example Tarant severs, make remaining encounters harder.
Maybe some rebalance, I recall tech being seriously underpowered compared to magic, etc.

I understand you're probably not interested in doing it - a lot of time consuming, boring iteration and testing required.
It's more of an open call, but if you'd be in charge of it, I could trust it though.
There are too many "rebalance" mods for various games made by idiots.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
But honestly what this game needs the most at this point, is some serious combat mod
It's coming, but only after UAP 2.0, High Res and the Race Mod I'm currently working on. The combat mod will be centered around TB, as in real-time combat will be disabled completely and then the whole system will be balanced/tweaked around this fact. As I've mentioned I already have several engine modules ready for this purpose.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The problem with all those "patterned" backgrounds is that they kind of... dimnish (for a lack of better word) the effect of the original design.

Yep, I think borders of any kind just make it look like the menu is squeezed... I also prefer just black in this case.

Yay/Nay/Fuck you?

Vector one, or else something more grimy.

passerby

Arcane
Some orange rust texture for the wheel. Particle-like effect for the symbol, more contrast - inside some bright pixels, intense dark blue edge.
All with stylish pixelation, think flash Binding of Isaac -> pixelart reboot Binding of Isaac. Sorry, no mockup. I'm one of these "idea man" kind of people.

Just kidding, oldshit vector one is perfectly fine, maybe sample darker orange shade from the original icon.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Luzur can you identify whether the pistol in the main menu is based on any real gun or can you point me to something with a similar mechanism?

Unless anyone else knows?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The room also appears in the last ending slide from a different POV, BTW.

Here's your pistol, Piggy, but I don't think flintlock revolvers ever existed.
NGYeHwk.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fuck, that's useful! Thanks!

And yeah, was just looking and didn't find anything.
But at least that image has a better view of the mechanism.
And of that gear box thing next to it!

Oh, and funny how they made they properly mapped the lamp shade texture only to the front, but you can see in the reflection how it's just messed up in the back.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Decisions as I go, to anywhere I flow, sometimes I believe, at times where I should know...

Fuckin' vote your poison you grognards. If no one gives a shit then it will be "style 02".
i6Q2KO6.png

T. Reich

Arcane
Decisions as I go, to anywhere I flow, sometimes I believe, at times where I should know...

Fuckin' vote your poison you grognards. If no one gives a shit then it will be "style 02".
i6Q2KO6.png

I'd rather prefer the idon to retain the "oldscool" flat 2d feel. It's a early 2000s game, it's supposed to look this way.
It's enough to look at Beamdog's "modernising" of PS:T's graphics to see that faux-3d shit just doesn't mesh with the old 2d graphics.

So, style 02 or style 00.

Luzur

Good Sir
Luzur can you identify whether the pistol in the main menu is based on any real gun or can you point me to something with a similar mechanism?

Unless anyone else knows?

Looks like a... revolver percussion navy pistol, or maybe like it have a Wender mechanism.

Also, it can never by fired since the trigger is part of the trigger guard.

Steampunk version of a percussion gun, simply.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Any oldfags here still remember the "High Resolution Enabler" aka Arcanum "1024x768 Edition"? Fuck, I almost forgot about it myself. Basically it was the precursor to the High Resolution Patch, it didn't fix much of the UI and was limited to just one resolution, as per moniker. When the HR patch was finally finished I purged this 1024x768 "edition" from every thread and download site, and seems like my own memory as well.

But, turns out the T-A archives still have it. And the cool thing about that crude patch is that it had a p cool implementation of fullscreen map interface, like this:
22kGnfF.png

This map is so huge and bloody convenient! Well,, I thought about this and I can do the same in the high resolution patch, but obviously it won't be dynamic, since the UI graphics need to be tailored for a specific resolution. I guess I could at very least make a 720p and 1080p versions, though. What would you say? The other menus (like inventory and char sheet) will stay the same size.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Kind of based off Droch's Warbinger in game.

Hah, it is indeed, I'm sure it's the same model except with the barrel added at the top:
latest
That's actually just your normal flintlock pistol. Droch's schematic art was never made, this is a placeholder. Droch's invenotry art is nothing alike.

Let me dig up some pistol graphics for you...

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Any oldfags here still remember the "High Resolution Enabler" aka Arcanum "1024x768 Edition"? Fuck, I almost forgot about it myself. Basically it was the precursor to the High Resolution Patch, it didn't fix much of the UI and was limited to just one resolution, as per moniker. When the HR patch was finally finished I purged this 1024x768 "edition" from every thread and download site, and seems like my own memory as well.

But, turns out the T-A archives still have it. And the cool thing about that crude patch is that it had a p cool implementation of fullscreen map interface, like this:
22kGnfF.png

This map is so huge and bloody convenient! Well,, I thought about this and I can do the same in the high resolution patch, but obviously it won't be dynamic, since the UI graphics need to be tailored for a specific resolution. I guess I could at very least make a 720p and 1080p versions, though. What would you say? The other menus (like inventory and char sheet) will stay the same size.
Please make a 16:10 version of the 720p. So 1280x800. These old games look better at reduced resolutions anyways.

Jojobobo

Barely Literate
I thought I'd pop in from TA as I'm not sure how much active the patch thread will be there.

Good work on the patch as I mentioned over at TA Drog. Something that came up recently on the Arcanum reddit is re-skinning the machine plate half ogre sprite, might this be possible by scaling up the human sprite for machined plate (in the same vein as the work your looking at doing to make female halflings/gnomes playable)? I know the bulk might not be quite right for how broad half ogres are, however it's still better than the current situation where the sprite is just the same as any kind of plate. A minor detail, but an annoying one. Thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom