Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship RPG Update #15

puppyonastik

Augur
I'm not saying they don't make stuff or decorate their homes. I'm saying that re-inventing looms to decorate their dwellings is too much. If we gather all the members of this fine site and hurl them into space, how many of you motherfuckers start weaving carpets because deep down inside you like nice things?
That does make me wonder, considering the fact that nutrition pills and water are automated, if the founders weren't idiots, one could assume there would be more things automated. Any other examples of products automated on board?

Tigranes

Arcane
"How do the colonists find ways to peddle in 'luxury' goods, indulge in nostalgia, and develop other forms of culture, despite the limitations, and certainly in very ghetto-ised, regressive forms? Wouldn't it be thematically interesting for the player to come across such pockets or remnants or dashed hopes amidst what is mostly a hard-nosed hard-assed environment? Wouldn't it also add some aesthetic touches and provide sensible and limited ways to diversify the palette?" is a perfectly reasonable discussion to have.

Rejecting such things to pursue a harsher and more stripped down feel is regrettable, but fine. Has nothing to do with dollhouses.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
"How do the colonists find ways to peddle in 'luxury' goods, indulge in nostalgia, and develop other forms of culture, despite the limitations, and certainly in very ghetto-ised, regressive forms? Wouldn't it be thematically interesting for the player to come across such pockets or remnants or dashed hopes amidst what is mostly a hard-nosed hard-assed environment? Wouldn't it also add some aesthetic touches and provide sensible and limited ways to diversify the palette?" is a perfectly reasonable discussion to have.

Rejecting such things to pursue a harsher and more stripped down feel is regrettable, but fine. Has nothing to do with dollhouses.
I've never said anything about luxury goods or art/culture. My comments were strictly about carpets which I feel would be out of place because they require machines the ship's inhabitants don't have and it's unlikely they'd miss carpets they've never seen or needed so fucking much that they'd reinvent such machines so that we can slap a few carpet textures here and there. While art and culture are interesting topics that can be discussed in-game, carpets add absolutely nothing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

I've never said anything about luxury goods or art/culture. My comments were strictly about carpets which I feel would be out of place because they require machines the ship's inhabitants don't have and it's unlikely they'd miss carpets they've never seen or needed so fucking much that they'd reinvent such machines so that we can slap a few carpet textures here and there. While art and culture are interesting topics that can be discussed in-game, carpets add absolutely nothing.
How come they have ships capable of interstellar travel but can't 3D print fabric? I mean we can 3d-print multi-story buildings right now.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm not saying they don't make stuff or decorate their homes. I'm saying that re-inventing looms to decorate their dwellings is too much. If we gather all the members of this fine site and hurl them into space, how many of you motherfuckers start weaving carpets because deep down inside you like nice things?
That does make me wonder, considering the fact that nutrition pills and water are automated, if the founders weren't idiots, one could assume there would be more things automated. Any other examples of products automated on board?
Life support & basic needs are taken care of - nutrition, water, recycled, breathable air, medical, synthetic clothing, etc.

Tigranes

Arcane

Sure, I'm cool with that. Honestly, I think debating the reasonableness of one specific item like the carpet is interminable because you can always swing it either way. If the ship were a real event in the past, historians would not necessarily expect folk to have made carpets - but they wouldn't be terribly surprised to find carpets. You're not really going to persuade anyone that there's no fucking way they'd have made carpets - but it's just as impossible to show they definitely would have.

Your previous comment that the ship as a whole will be more than 'warehouse corridors' serves me just fine.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
THE NEW WORLD: A GENERIC NAME RPG

Come on guys, even if your goal is to have a name that will makes googling any info about the game a real pain in the ass, you can do better than this.

At least put some cheesy words like "New Eden", "scions", "lost ark", "deliverance", "stellar apostles" etc. in the title, so that people would think that you are being deliberately ironic, rather that uncreative.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Protectors%20_%20fixed_zpsfz4ikpvu.jpg

In the future we have banners and may even have tapestries, but God forbids carpets.

decaf

Learned
Well why not stick with the ascetic?
Replace the banners with spraypainted logos.
All the colonists have some resentment against textiles. Deepest lore guaranteed.

Momock

Augur
You can enter in stealth mode only if the quest allows you, then? Or can you do it anytime?

Either way the new stealth looks interesting (and a huge improvement compared to AoD's infiltration)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Crumbs and other things don't fall on it and if anything these tapestry carpets are either washed or they beat the dust out of the carpets with a carpet beater. Also, even if they would have an infinite source of energy, increasing mass with useless shit and slowing down in the process wouldn't be logical. And I could understand naked women posters as a decoration but who would want a carpet on a space ship?

lT4bVwH.png

Vault Dweller

Developer
You can enter in stealth mode only if the quest allows you, then? Or can you do it anytime?
If the quest or situation allows it. Sneaking around when nobody cares is pointless.

In the future we have banners and may even have tapestries, but God forbids carpets.
The ship produces synthetic fabric to make jumpsuits, bed sheets, and other necessities. The ship doesn't make carpets. As stated earlier, while re-inventing carpet-making machines isn't impossible, the reasons to do that are simply not there.

The-living-quarter_zpstuoyvbmz.jpg

^ living quarters.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm already imagining this game's promo trailer:

I tried to make my living quarters comfy, couldn't find any carpets.
I tried scavenging the ship, coudn't find any carpets.
I've tried weaving my own carpet, and guess what? Technology to make them was lost.

GOOD
FUCKING
RIDDANCE

*heavy metal music*

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Has there been an anouncement of full party generation at start yet?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller
Will you add goggles (night vision devices / goggles that could improve aiming) like in UR? Sneaking in the dark might be difficult and using flashlight wouldn't be optimal for obvious reasons.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller
Will you add goggles (night vision devices / goggles that could improve aiming) like in UR?
Yes.

jonas_05_zpsxcorn7rw.jpg

"In case you're wondering the goggles and other gear will be available to your character as well and the inventory will have special slots for goggles and breathing masks."

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's not that kind of game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom