Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will triple dip on PS4 just in case that helps making a sequel.

It's a bummer you get sequels and franchises from mediocre games and this beautiful game doesn't get the credit it deserves because it has some of the flaws as overhyped games,but with talent and creativity.

Ebonsword

Arcane

It's a bummer you get sequels and franchises from mediocre games and this beautiful game doesn't get the credit it deserves because it has some of the flaws as overhyped games,but with talent and creativity.

Agreed. If there was ever a game that deserved a sequel, it was Dragon's Dogma. Hell, they could leave the game engine completely unchanged and just create a new continent to explore, and I would be happy.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Agreed. If there was ever a game that deserved a sequel, it was Dragon's Dogma. Hell, they could leave the game engine completely unchanged and just create a new continent to explore, and I would be happy.

Absolutely. If you think about it the engine is beautiful as it is.

- Open world with good graphics and no loading times (except dungeons, but thats OK, so you can have detailed ones)
- Amazing lightning.
- Allows detailed interaction with the enviroment: basic platforming (in enemies and enviroment), picking and throwing objects.
- Complex combat, with spells making real physic alterations on the enemies. Send them flying with the Tornado, earthquake or heavy hitting weapons, burning effect, wet amplifying Lightning damage.
Also the combat is not only ground oriented like in Dark souls. You can mount a flying big monster.
- Good looking character models and decent foliage (for a PS3 game).
- Good performance with the former factors.

They only need a bit better textures and a little more complex geommetry in some points of the enviroment, like some rocks and buildings.

They can create content with that great stablished technology without too much effort.

Ivan

Arcane
does everything still one shot you on Hard? I remember always feeling I wish I had a difficulty between Normal and Hard. Something more punishing than Normal, but one that didn't turn every enemy into Gold/XP pinatas on Hard

Is the UI customizable or moddable? Videos and pictures make it look very cancerous. If I tried the game, I'd be interested in moving everything to the edges of the screen, making everything smaller and hiding that keyboard/gamepad layout chart (wtf?!)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is the UI customizable or moddable? Videos and pictures make it look very cancerous. If I tried the game, I'd be interested in moving everything to the edges of the screen, making everything smaller and hiding that keyboard/gamepad layout chart (wtf?!)
There's a menu allowing you to turn the UI off, piece-by-piece, but it isn't otherwise customizable, unfortunately, and there don't seem to be any mods fixing this.

Also, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is now available on GOG, which together with the PS4 release opens the possibility of quadruple-dipping (PS3, Steam, GOG, PS4). :M

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinji

Savant
I've got a feeling they will announce Dragon's Dogma 2 at this E3.

After all, it's been 5 years since it was first released, and they have recently announced a port of Dark Arisen for XONE/PS4. They usually do that to increase an IP's popularity and sales.

Plus, there's this recent trend of console RPG's focusing on sci-fi and space (e.g. Mass Effect Andromeda, Cyberpunk 2077, ELEX, The Surge, possibly Bethesda's Starfield) and almost no console developer will focus on medieval-fantasy stuff.

This is their chance to stand out in the market.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm optimisitic also. Like we have commented, they have a functional Engine,lots of assets, and two games developed in it.

I think a realistic scenario could be at least Dragon's Dogma Online in English, with better paywall for western users I think.

Delterius

Arcane
I_want_to_believe-300x168.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
And what's optimistic about yet another MMO?

MMO's may be played out, but if there's one combat system that fits multiplayer well, it's DD's. That said, there's a better shot of Deep Down being resurrected than Dragon's Dogma 2 imo. Capcom is too shit to ever give their fans what they've been begging for these last 3 years.

Delterius

Arcane
The best we can hope for is another mobile Shoujo fanservice game that conspicuously uses Dragon's Dogma imagery to tease us to suicide when the inevitable reveal happens.

But, you know, I do want to believe.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Mozg

Arcane
Is there some reason I shouldn't think Monster Hunter World looks a lot like a DD sequel would? Wikipedia sez it will be open world.

Hyperion

Arcane
They obviously used their experience from DD for MHW. Hell, DD was influenced by MH to begin with. It just isn't the same, though. Sure, it'll have multiplayer. Sure, you'll get to roam open maps, presumably find secrets, and kill huge things.

...But the Pawn Sharing system and Bitterblack Isle are what really set DD apart from everything. Grooming your pawn, taking care of his stats / gear to make him as palatable to others as possible. Combine that with the Diablo-style crawl of DA, identification of loot being (mostly) tied to your Pawn's desirability, and said loot being held behind actual challenge.

I couldn't last long enough in the one 3DS MH I played, but what I do remember is the game is completely based around crafting before the Hunt.

All this being said, I'm still gonna buy the game in hopes it tingles all the senses Dragon's Dogma has that's making me replay it again right now. And still discovering some hidden locations after 5 playthroughs. Found a little cutoff cave with 3 chests in the Valley before the Golem fight on the way to Bluemoon Tower, a little hidden cave across a ravine near Bloodwater Beach, and a little cave in the Cursewood, in the foothills below Soulflayer Canyon. Guess I'm not nearly the explorer I thought I was.

hajro

Arbiter
Isnt MHW directed by Itsuno just like DD? Meh, i was hoping for DMC5 from him.

Mozg

Arcane
Meh @ pawns, I spent as much time playing solo with pawns chilling in the brine as not. It wasn't why I liked DD, which was mostly about diverse gameplay between classes and skill sets (with some standout skill designs like powder charge, magic cannon, and explosive rivets), great sense of weight and momentum, very good large monster designs. And DDDA leveraged the perfect-feeling running, jumping, mantling etc. movement for exploring the nooks and crannies of a space.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm optimisitic also. (...snip)

I think a realistic scenario could be at least Dragon's Dogma Online in English, with better paywall for western users I think.

And what's optimistic about yet another MMO?

So would'nt you play DD MMO ? :martini:

With that combat system, it is better than no release.

Not really, no. Afraid of the grind and blandness. Though I DID have my share of fun from Dungeons and Dragons Online. But that was instance and mission based with carefully crafted dungeons.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They obviously used their experience from DD for MHW. Hell, DD was influenced by MH to begin with. It just isn't the same, though. Sure, it'll have multiplayer. Sure, you'll get to roam open maps, presumably find secrets, and kill huge things.

...But the Pawn Sharing system and Bitterblack Isle are what really set DD apart from everything. Grooming your pawn, taking care of his stats / gear to make him as palatable to others as possible. Combine that with the Diablo-style crawl of DA, identification of loot being (mostly) tied to your Pawn's desirability, and said loot being held behind actual challenge.

New MH looked good. But I prefer Dragon's Dogma art, bestiary, world and fast vibrant gameplay.

MH is obviosuly deep and methodic, and iI probably will try it, but I wanted another game like DD.

Alchemist

Arcane
Hey all, can anyone think of a good reason to get Dragon's Dogma on GOG if I already own it on Steam? Besides the obvious (no DRM).

That sale price is tempting me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom