Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PCmark 10 is here, we are moving close to photorealism

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
pcmark10-creative-work-hero.jpg

pcmark10-office-work-hero.jpg

pcmark10-main-hero.jpg

https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/pcmark10

So we know that Elder Scrolls 7 will look pretty realistic

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Photorealism is boring.

Until you see some good uses for it. Whatever can increase immersion is welcome.

And come on guys, just because you can now do it doesn't mean it will be done all the time. We'll still have indie pixel stuff.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Until you see some good uses for it.

There are no good uses for it. The push for graphics has been a detriment to gameplay since the emergence of 3D gaming. With only a few notable exceptions.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

There are no good uses for it. The push for graphics has been a determent to gameplay since the emergence of 3D gaming. With only a few notable exceptions.

The only notable exception being fucking everything.

That you can have better graphics is a good thing. It's a not debatable issue. Whether the developers focus on said graphics instead of gameplay is another matter entirely irrelevant.

Also, what exactly has changed ? Are you whining that graphics are getting better? Wow. Here is another thing for you to whine about : you are getting older.

Cuck.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Are you whining that graphics are getting better?

Where did I say that you massively easy to trigger faggot?

I said I have a problem with developers focusing on graphics over gameplay, to the point where we get games like Final Fantasy XIII, Skyrim, Uncharted series, etc. It's one of the larger factors attributing to the decline of gaming. RPG series that matter have been the least effected by this so far, but it's happening whether you like it or not. If you want to keep giving money to shit AAA developers to wank over the pretty trees go ahead, but just know that the jews control your soul.

Severian Silk

There are no good uses for it. The push for graphics has been a determent to gameplay since the emergence of 3D gaming. With only a few notable exceptions.

That you can have better graphics is a good thing. It's a not debatable issue. Whether the developers focus on said graphics instead of gameplay is another matter entirely irrelevant.

Also, what exactly has changed ? Are you whining that graphics are getting better? Wow. Here is another thing for you to whine about : you are getting older.

Cuck.
Having a photorealistic engine does not automatically mean you have photorealistic graphics. You need a huge team of artists. And the more artists that get hired, the fewer people hired for gameplay and other things, since good gameplay in these types of environments is harder to accomplish.

pippin

So photorealism is just having a bunch of ugly instagram filters?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Games have gone downhill a lot with the drive towards photorealism in the last two generations. The visuals take up too much time and money and the games become too risky, so they all end up playing kind of the same and have less content than previously. Many developers end up having to quit.

Siobhan

Arbiter
On the upside, if that level of graphics fidelity becomes the new normal in games, special effects in movies will end up looking really mundane and unexciting, so we might see a move away from bombastic roller coaster rides to flicks that set themselves apart from video games with thoughtful scripts, beautiful cinematography and flawless pacing.

Edit: or maybe games will end up looking even worse because the gap between photorealism and puppet-liked animations will be really jarring

ore clover

Learned

Cuck.
In my opinion, while not necessarily an inherent detriment, better and better graphics are negatively impacting the games industry. The push for top of the line visuals, mostly in the AAA sphere, is probably a major contributor to the increasingly bloated budgets of games.

A game like the 2013 tomb raider sells several million, and Squeenix expresses disappointment in the sales figures. Once upon a time, that was an amazing number. Games journalists (*cough, bear with me pls*) praised Uncharted 4 as a near-perfect game, but that one designer was moaning about how awful the crunch conditions are.

Granted, developers and publishers are doing this to themselves by focusing less on mechanics and more on visual and audio presentation. So graphics aren't a suitable scapegoat. However, I also wouldn't say that the two topics are irrelevant to each other.

Somehow the industry needs to collectively understand that, because they're making games and not films, a different balance of resources must be met. Calling to attention the increasing budget that cutting edge visuals requires is relevant to that discussion. At least, that's how I see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom