Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hitman tanked. Completely. Hence Squeenix getting rid of it. And yes, it is Squeenix's fault for forcing episodic and online bullshit on it.

Yup. I am very proud of this game. I think it is the best so far in my career,

We are still working on the Season 1 disk release and some are working on Season 2. I am looking forward to showing off all the new stuff coming..

Sentinel

Arcane
"Yeah man our business model is awesome, great results, I'm so proud"
*fast forward 5 months*
"Oh no we're being sold! How can this be? Our business model was awesome and we got great results!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Laugh, but I don't see how a Season 2 was greenlit in the first place if the game "completely tanked". I don't see how IO would still be talking about working on it instead of moving on to something entirely new. It has to be more complex than that.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's called rebuilding something. After the massive skepticism about (TM) following the shit-heap that was Absolution, and the positive reaction it (TM) got from the fans, in spite of lackluster sales it's still natural that you're gonna invest into expanding that project because obviously there is something there that your fans still enjoy, and you have the opportunity to grow it even more.

Obviously the financial results of (TM) weren't enough for Square-Enix, and I don't think that Hitman can ever reach Triple-A market performance without betraying its core audience, so it's natural that they told IO-I to fuck off.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Absolution was such a POS.
What publishers will see, tho, is that it sold quite a bit more.
Then there is this:
"90% of the 13,087 user reviews for this game are positive" (Absolution)
"70% of the 12,425 user reviews for this game are positive" (Hitman 2016)

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Then there is this:

kill all gamers

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Then there is this:

kill all gamers

Most of the negative reviews criticize the always online model and the episodic system more than the actual game

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hitman tanked. Completely. Hence Squeenix getting rid of it. And yes, it is Squeenix's fault for forcing episodic and online bullshit on it.

Yup. I am very proud of this game. I think it is the best so far in my career,

We are still working on the Season 1 disk release and some are working on Season 2. I am looking forward to showing off all the new stuff coming..

Ok. Cool. So why is Squeenix getting rid of IO ? PowerTorment, any insight ?
Here is why: The game did not make as much money as it was expected to. Sadly.

Then there is this:

I can pretty much guarantee that if the game had no always online, no denuovo, no technical issues and was released in full at once, the score would be above absolution.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Preaching here but what the fuck were they thinking making it episodic, really think people want to buy a game in parts? Only works for story heavy games.

I still haven't played it due to that.
It was idiotic. I was ready to buy it and then when they said it would be episodic I just completely ignored everything about it until I knew it would be finished. I bet a lot of people did the same. And a bet a lot of those people forgot about it completely.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

kalganoat

Savant
I bought the first episode early and the game was disconnecting so often it's like I'm playing a mmo on launch day. Never bothered with it since then. Then recently I got the complete season at a heavy discount. Episodic+Denuvo+always online LMAO can't think of a worse combination

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the always online thing? I didn't even know it was there. I would care more if this was 1998.

TC Jr

Scholar
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the always online thing? I didn't even know it was there. I would care more if this was 1998.
Personally no but I'm glad other people do because I think it has potential to be a problem, hasn't happened yet but I'd rather it just not be there.

Nah it was the episodes that put me off, as someone else said I was gonna wait for it to come out and buy the complete set but I lost interest and cba getting into it, mental the way they done it.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
It never bothered me but it's just unnecessary. The episodic thing actively irritated me even though I still love the game. Especially after Morocco + summer bonus episodes were released and I finallly had a good chunk of things to do besides just Paris and Italy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Personally no but I'm glad other people do because I think it has potential to be a problem, hasn't happened yet but I'd rather it just not be there.

Nah it was the episodes that put me off, as someone else said I was gonna wait for it to come out and buy the complete set but I lost interest and cba getting into it, mental the way they done it.
Yea I just waited for it. I only bought it this xmas on sale.

I think they ran out of money or something and couldn't finish all the levels so made them 1 by 1 and used the early buyers money to finish it off. Sad times.

Archibald

Arcane
I think Io would already be dead at this point if Hitman had "tanked hard in sales".
Nobody from SE made any comments about sales being disappointing or sub-par in any way.

Heh. And they are trying to sell IO because sales are so good that they throw money with shovels into fireplaces to warm their houses.

Owners: 647,282 ± 23,462

Absolution:
Owners: 2,996,520 ± 50,335
BloodMoney:
Owners: 1,430,881 ± 34,850

I think this comparison isn't very valid considering that older Hitman games had multiple 75-85% sales over the years, at some point Blood Money went for like 1$.

Perkel

Arcane
When SE will shut down IO or sell it servers will go along with it as no one will want to keep servers for service that doesn't produce ROI.

So you won't even be able to play it in few months let alone wait for sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom