Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4Chan Has a Leaker! Starfield In 2017! TES VI in 2023! TES VII in 2030! Totally Not Bullshit!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
These guys didn't even know what they wanted to do after Fallout 4 was released. Talk about plans for 2030 = fake fake fake. No game developer works with those kinds of time horizons.
I think it's very safe to assume that Bethesda isn't planning to abandon TES like ever (no reason to expect people to stop playing open-world fantasy games, is there?) and does indeed have plans or at least general direction for the next 2-3 games. Not saying the leak is real, of course.

For a developer of entertainment software it's unrealistic. How can you even know that people will want to play Elder Scrolls games in 2030?
Because Elder Scrolls is a very flexible fantasy franchise that can easily shift from generic to weird to vikings with dragons to exotic (the jungle) or demonic (the daedra planes) or anything they need or that's popular at the moment. It's basically Fantasy: The Game, so to wonder if people would still play it in 2030 is to wonder if people would still play fantasy games in 2030.

Disclosure: I worked at Intel, a hardware manufacturer in a much more predictable market that requires long-term logistical planning, in the late 2000s. Even there, there weren't concrete release schedules for CPUs going beyond 2014 or so. That's why this sounds absurd to to me.
And yet Marvel had planned 4 phases of movie releases, from 2008 to 2028.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've read about that. Unclear whether they know which movies will go in which years, though. Right now we know about specific movies going up to 2019, I think. Marvel's situation is pretty unusual, I think you'll agree, working with existing codified source material (comics) that goes back decades and can be endlessly mined. Even so, they're taking a risk and people might get tired of these movies.

I don't really have a lot more to say about this. From what I know about Bethesda and how they appear to behave, I'm skeptical that they plan that far ahead. They're a one-game-at-a-time studio that undoubtedly recalibrate their plans after every cycle, taking into account new market trends. Obviously they want to release Elder Scrolls games that far in the future, but knowing that it'll be in 2030 specifically? Why not 2029 or 2031? What if tastes change and new technologies have to be learned? Etc. Gaming isn't as much of a "settled science" as movies are.

Last edited:

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, to be fair, rumors about Bethesda experimenting with a sci-fi IP have been making the rounds for in the gaming industry for a long time.
However, this leak follows the pattern for other Bethesda related leaks, particularly that one Fallout 4 leak - 20% actual info, 80% retarded bullshit made up by a 14 year old with no imagination.
Good job, /v/.

hellbent

Augur
Bethesda is in pre-alpha pre-production of a AAA open world Seinfeld FPS/RPG that conclusively ties together the lore of Seinfeld, Frasier and Icewind Dale. It's going to be released in 2034. You heard it here first.

That might seem repetitive after the release of Eidos's Bill Cosby / Thief first person rape sleep-loving simulator in 2033.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Also combining Elder Scrolls and Fallout lore is retarded as fuck.

Not necessarily. It's like ancient lore about our earth: everything what we experience has already happened in one way or the other. Civilizations advanced, developed technology, destroyed each other. Additionally there are myths claiming that earth has been "destructed" 4-5 times by some "godly" entity, because the people have gone the "wrong way". The remaining people had to start civilisation from scratch again. The cycle repeats. So even in regards to our own lore about earth, there are plenty of choices to connect SciFi with medieval times. Or a Fallout lore with a Starfield and an Elder Scrolls lore. Wasn't there a guy some years ago who claimed that the Elder Scrolls lore was nothing else than the events decribed in the Bible? :lol:
Okay, then explain Daedric Lords and magic in relation to fallouts lore, as well as the different planes of Oblivion and the Dragon Breaks. Elder Scrolls lore is way WAY too fanciful to cooexist peacefully in the same universe as Fallout.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Not necessarily. It's like ancient lore about our earth: everything what we experience has already happened in one way or the other. Civilizations advanced, developed technology, destroyed each other. Additionally there are myths claiming that earth has been "destructed" 4-5 times by some "godly" entity, because the people have gone the "wrong way". The remaining people had to start civilisation from scratch again. The cycle repeats. So even in regards to our own lore about earth, there are plenty of choices to connect SciFi with medieval times. Or a Fallout lore with a Starfield and an Elder Scrolls lore. Wasn't there a guy some years ago who claimed that the Elder Scrolls lore was nothing else than the events decribed in the Bible? :lol:
Okay, then explain Daedric Lords and magic in relation to fallouts lore, as well as the different planes of Oblivion and the Dragon Breaks. Elder Scrolls lore is way WAY too fanciful to cooexist peacefully in the same universe as Fallout.

Haven't you heard? Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot

Outsider can grant you power to bend time and causality with powerful magic hidden in whale bones. We are doing Bethesduniverse, right?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Haven't you heard? Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Okay, explain how tech can make different planes of oblivion, or seperate and force different timelines of reality together all at once.

Outsider can grant you power to bend time and causality with powerful magic hidden in whale bones. We are doing Bethesduniverse, right?
Old era Bethesda lore is far far better than current Bethesda lore. Not surprising considering they've lost a lot of the original writers. And besides, the Dishonored game was created by Arkane, not Bethesda Softworks Studios. Different developers.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Fallout universe is simply a plane of Oblivion that has not been explored in the games so far.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Old era Bethesda lore is far far better than current Bethesda lore. Not surprising considering they've lost a lot of the original writers. And besides, the Dishonored game was created by Arkane, not Bethesda Softworks Studios. Different developers.

Original writer doesn't mean good writer, especially with them coming from 90's which generally meant programmers writing story in their spare time. You may probably get more original works that way but most of those were amatuer. Case in point - Might & Magic universe which had this thing with technology being behind everything. Or was it both technology and magic?.. Anyway by the middle of 90's creators themselves saw that the world was full of graphomania and they made a separate series, Heroes of Might & Magic, that ignored everything about technology, and then they tried to soft reboot the world with Heroes 4 to get rid of all the lore dumps they had in Heroes 2-3.

Kirkbride might have been a talented writer but I don't see a reason for new people to be any worse.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Disclosure: I worked at Intel, a hardware manufacturer in a much more predictable market that requires long-term logistical planning, in the late 2000s. Even there, there weren't concrete release schedules for CPUs going beyond 2014 or so. That's why this sounds absurd to to me.

> Implying we are talking about a broad release date trajectory.

They said the companions / story / design was fully written and fleshed out - down to the companion romances - and this Developer has apparently first hand knowledge of all those details..

13 Years before release. :smug:

pippin

2030 is 13 years away.
Arena was released 23 years ago. Hell, Todd has been in Bethesda for like 17 years now?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Original writer doesn't mean good writer, especially with them coming from 90's which generally meant programmers writing story in their spare time. You may probably get more original works that way but most of those were amatuer. Case in point - Might & Magic universe which had this thing with technology being behind everything. Or was it both technology and magic?.. Anyway by the middle of 90's creators themselves saw that the world was full of graphomania and they made a separate series, Heroes of Might & Magic, that ignored everything about technology, and then they tried to soft reboot the world with Heroes 4 to get rid of all the lore dumps they had in Heroes 2-3.

Kirkbride might have been a talented writer but I don't see a reason for new people to be any worse.
Surely you're not trying to argue that Emil Pagliarulo, who wrote Fallout 4 is comparable to kirkbride or any of the original writers?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Okay, explain how tech can make different planes of oblivion, or seperate and force different timelines of reality together all at once.

There is a suitably advanced scientific reason for this but to your eyes I imagine it would just seem like.....
Magic!

pippin

Kirkbride is too busy getting Morrowind and Oblivion royalties so he can buy more drugs to get worried about what TES might be going to nowadays

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

There is a suitably advanced scientific reason for this but to your eyes I imagine it would just seem like.....
Magic!
Cheeky little shitposter, ain't ya?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
12 years between Skyrim and TES6? Even Bethesda isn't that lazy.
Pete Hines has gone on record saying that they're no longer going to be alternating between Fallout and Elder Scrolls. If other games are in between the timeline makes sense.

It's not uncommon for studios to plan ahead.. but the fact that a game coming out in 2030 is fully written / designed with companions locked in ect?

2030? 13 years from now.. and they already have the game fully designed and written - fuck off 4chan.
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that TES VII is fully designed and written from those screens. What he's mentioned so far seem mostly "bullet point" ideas. The parts about companions seem to be related to the new Fallout game.

Anyway, if this leak is actually real, some of it sounds pretty interesting. An Elder Scrolls style game in a sci-fi setting is something I'd be interested in seeing. Also setting the next Elder Scrolls in Akavir is a good idea imo. Lots of fans have been wanting to see that.

If Starfield is actually planned to be released in 2017, they'd pretty much have to reveal it at E3. So I guess we'll find out soon?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It could be real stuff mixed in with fake stuff; there is no way all of this is real; it just sounds like wish fulfilment. However, it is most likely 4chan being 4chan.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
2030 is 13 years away.
Arena was released 23 years ago. Hell, Todd has been in Bethesda for like 17 years now?
And here's a friendly reminder that Oblivion was first hinted at in Redguard, about 8 years before the game saw the light of day. Another project was also hinted at, but never seemed to happen - Skyrim came instead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
12 years between Skyrim and TES6? Even Bethesda isn't that lazy.
Pete Hines has gone on record saying that they're no longer going to be alternating between Fallout and Elder Scrolls. If other games are in between the timeline makes sense.
Yeah, I referenced that in another thread -- he's full of shit considering that's all Bethesda Studios has done since Morrowind. Maybe they'll poop out another IP but I doubt you let something as financially successful as TES sit on the shelf for over a decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom