Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4Chan Has a Leaker! Starfield In 2017! TES VI in 2023! TES VII in 2030! Totally Not Bullshit!

Ent

Savant
Sounds fake. But if it turns out to be real the people at bethesda are dropping some acid.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Bethesda is in pre-alpha pre-production of a AAA open world Seinfeld FPS/RPG that conclusively ties together the lore of Seinfeld, Frasier and Icewind Dale. It's going to be released in 2034. You heard it here first.

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
I wanted to smugly dismiss the idea of anyone caring about Bethesda games but then I remembered I am naïve enough to hope Obsidian will really make an Archer game so what the fuck do I know?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These guys didn't even know what they wanted to do after Fallout 4 was released. Talk about plans for 2030 = fake fake fake. No game developer works with those kinds of time horizons.

But Bethesda might actually announce Starfield at E3, and the guy who wrote this is smart enough to realize that. Watch people go "omg the leaker was right" if that happens.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
These guys didn't even know what they wanted to do after Fallout 4 was released. Talk about plans for 2030 = fake fake fake. No game developer works with those kinds of time horizons.

But Bethesda might actually announce Starfield at E3, and the guy who wrote this is smart enough to realize that. Watch people go "omg the leaker was right" if that happens.
Generally I'd agree, but 2030 is "only" 13 years away. Being conceptually 10 years into the future isn't necessarily that weird for big studios of any kind, game developers or otherwise. This is all still horseshit, though, because if we're talking 2030, we're talking a potential "spitballing"-stage, not anything resembling anything firm enough to make judgements on or anything remotely resembling pre-production.

Aside from things like Grimoire or Duke Nukem Forever, even high-profile games have a production cycle of what, 5 years or something, rarely more, often less? Not 13 fucking years.

The theory on Starfield was something that came to me, too, that it's essentially just a shitty trolling attempt with a grain of truth. Hell, it might even be sanctioned by Bethesda themselves just to drum up some drama and speculation, and we're falling straight into it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

I wouldn't be so sure about that. This is not some small game developer, but a big one. A company as big as this must always look into the future, keep their jobs save, maintain their market position. And yes... this means planning ahead for years, i.e. Apple also planned more than 10 years ahead in what they plan to do for their next iPhone iterations (I read that in an article a while ago). It's no different with Bethesda. Of course not everything for the next Elder Scrolls is fleshed out in detail at this point in time, but certainly a rough idea. And they actually can work with such an horizon, because it has been one of their most successful IPs for years now, and most likely will be in the future.

That said, the mentioned leak can still be fake, but it's not unrealistic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I wouldn't be so sure about that. This is not some small game developer, but a big one. A company as big as this must always look into the future, keep their jobs save, maintain their market position. And yes... this means planning ahead for years, i.e. Apple also planned more than 10 years ahead in what they plan to do for their next iPhone iterations (I read that in an article a while ago). It's no different with Bethesda. Of course not everything for the next Elder Scrolls is fleshed out in detail at this point in time, but certainly a rough idea. And they actually can work with such an horizon, because it has been one of their most successful IPs for years now, and most likely will be in the future.

That said, the mentioned leak can still be fake, but it's not unrealistic.

For a developer of entertainment software it's unrealistic. How can you even know that people will want to play Elder Scrolls games in 2030?

Disclosure: I worked at Intel, a hardware manufacturer in a much more predictable market that requires long-term logistical planning, in the late 2000s. Even there, there weren't concrete release schedules for CPUs going beyond 2014 or so. That's why this sounds absurd to to me.

HeroicBloodshed

Learned
For a developer of entertainment software it's unrealistic. How can you even know that people will want to play Elder Scrolls games in 2030?

Disclosure: I worked at Intel, a hardware manufacturer in a much more predictable market that requires long-term logistical planning, in the late 2000s. Even there, there weren't concrete release schedules for CPUs going beyond 2014 or so. That's why this sounds absurd to to me.
Updated my .txt

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...] How can you even know that people will want to play Elder Scrolls games in 2030?

[...]
Let's be realistic here, though. I'm not disagreeing with you here in general, but the idea that people won't want to play Elder Scrolls games in 2030 is a bit absurd. Popularity may wax and wane, and sure, the franchise might get canned - although I find that hard to believe - but if an Elder Scrolls game was made 2030, we know full well that bar massive social upheaval or economic collapse, things that most long-term project projections don't really ever account for, people would still play it.

Hell, I'd play it, if I hadn't died from a heart attack brought on by crippling depression and rampant alcoholism sometime in the mid-2020's.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Producing a title like TES requires a lot of time and manpower. It's 5-6 years now for AAA titles and not 1-3 years anymore like in the past (except you recycle everything like the Far Cry series). So they must plan ahead their financials at least 5 years. Planning ahead for 10 years is therefore not a far stretch. At the point when they are narrowing down where TES6 starts and ends, they also have an idea of what is possibly open for a TES7 another 5-6 years away.

If people want or don't want specifically another Elder Scrolls title doesn't matter, because they will buy it anyway. They simply have no choice. They'll just get nothing else. There will be no competitor in the near future which can push it from the casual gamer's throne. And so they will buy. I'm pretty sure any next Elder Scrolls will be a success. People are already drooling about the non existing TES6 all over the internet. It's impossible to fail in a financial way. So Bethesda can already guess that TES6 will be a financial success, and they would be stupid to stop their main horse for yet another TES after that.

Look at Hollywood: don't we have enough Supermans, Spidermans, Batmans or Shitmans already? Surely we have, but the money still flows. But they are also careful. They stick to well-known names rather than making something entirely new. They'll go for brands people will recognize easily. Or they make remakes. So why change "Elder Scrolls"? Why should Bethesda act any different?

PS: I'd also like something different... fed up with Elder Scrolls... but I can't see it happening.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dwemer in a pocket dimension and Elder scrolls lore combined with fallout? If true Kirkbride is gonna be pissed as fuck. He might burn down bethesda softworks studio in the end after all.
Also combining Elder Scrolls and Fallout lore is retarded as fuck.
Well, he had some rather retarded SF-ish ideas of his own.

The Digitals say we come from another star, but so many have forgotten. I have not, for my lineage granted me audience with Memory, and I have spoken with the Wheels of Lull. I have seen proof, as any who come Up during Landfall Season, when the winds die down enough Above that all may make pilgrimage under the banner of Vehk and Vehk. Though many Above have renounced Memory, they too remember.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Not necessarily. It's like ancient lore about our earth: everything what we experience has already happened in one way or the other. Civilizations advanced, developed technology, destroyed each other. Additionally there are myths claiming that earth has been "destructed" 4-5 times by some "godly" entity, because the people have gone the "wrong way". The remaining people had to start civilisation from scratch again. The cycle repeats. So even in regards to our own lore about earth, there are plenty of choices to connect SciFi with medieval times. Or a Fallout lore with a Starfield and an Elder Scrolls lore. Wasn't there a guy some years ago who claimed that the Elder Scrolls lore was nothing else than the events decribed in the Bible? :lol:

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
2030... shit, it's actually more closer than I expected, I keep thinking we are living in 2010, but we are nearer to 2020...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Talk about games planned for 2030 trips my bullshit detector

It's not uncommon for studios to plan ahead.. but the fact that a game coming out in 2030 is fully written / designed with companions locked in ect?

2030? 13 years from now.. and they already have the game fully designed and written - fuck off 4chan.

Drax

Arcane

Not necessarily. It's like ancient lore about our earth: everything what we experience has already happened in one way or the other. Civilizations advanced, developed technology, destroyed each other. Additionally there are myths claiming that earth has been "destructed" 4-5 times by some "godly" entity, because the people have gone the "wrong way". The remaining people had to start civilisation from scratch again. The cycle repeats. So even in regards to our own lore about earth, there are plenty of choices to connect SciFi with medieval times. Or a Fallout lore with a Starfield and an Elder Scrolls lore. Wasn't there a guy some years ago who claimed that the Elder Scrolls lore was nothing else than the events decribed in the Bible? :lol:
Except that mythology in TES is not just old fables like in real life, aedra and daedra are patently real, the cycles are obvious, etc...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Talk about games planned for 2030 trips my bullshit detector

It's not uncommon for studios to plan ahead.. but the fact that a game coming out in 2030 is fully written / designed with companions locked in ect?

2030? 13 years from now.. and they already have the game fully designed and written - fuck off 4chan.

Could explain why their games are shit, though... they are so planned ahead they don't bother listening to criticism and make the adequate changes.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The leak is a fake, of course, especially with all of that multiverse. But I'm surprised that F4 supposedly has BoS inventing Nirnroot. Is this Easter Egg handled as bad as I imagine?

In any case I have no interest at all in Fallout games made by Bethesda. I expected upcoming Far Cry 5 to have more refined roleplaying experience and consistent world and shooting mechanics. Maybe if they invent something really interesting with exploration cause I don't believe they can do much better with characters and dialogue.

On the other hand I'm interested in TES6, the next game in a series without proper dialogues, characters and consistent world, the latter being a series feature instead of bug. Even though Skyrim lost variativity in playstyle and challenge it still was a beautiful game with a clear artistic vision and lore dumps in background. If they implement survival mode from Fallout 4 there it might even be an interesting darksoulish experience.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Could explain why their games are shit, though... they are so planned ahead they don't bother listening to criticism and make the adequate changes.

They do listen to criticism, perhaps even overreact to it. Morrowind had a weird world, maybe even too weird for most people - so Oblivion is Lord of the Rings: The Movie: The Game; it had little challenge in late game - so Oblivion is autoleveled so that bandits can match your demigod eqiupment; it had unclear directions - so you get a quest marker. Then Oblivion was too autoleveled - so Fallout 3 and Skyrim extremely tone down autoleveling and we're back to no challenge in late game; it was too generic - so Skyrim has Egyptian Vikings and Nazi elves and "dark fantasy" civil war. Fallout 3 was criticized for degrading equipment and dumb karma system and heroic Brotherhood of Steel so those are gone. Fallout New Vegas was praised for interesting factions and branching main story so Bethesda implemented what they think are interesting factions and branching main story (and they maybe even managed to do so with Institute but the very existence of Railroad and Minutemen destroys the worldbuilding). They clearly listen to criticism, in their own way.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
How can you even know that people will want to play Elder Scrolls games in 2030?
Easy :

theylive-messages.png

I still don't buy that "leak" though.

Et surtout, j'en ai gentiment rien à branler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom