Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I just jizzed in my pants. Now I have to be at work for the rest of the day like this and then go home and clean up and try this out.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From looking at the video it doesn't seem that bullets and rockets are actual projectiles :(

One mech took damage even if all the rockets fired right into a tree-line.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
From looking at the video it doesn't seem that bullets and rockets are actual projectiles :(

Yeah, first thing I noticed, they only seem to be cosmetic effects with calculations done in the background. So no stray shots hitting something else, meh.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yeah, first thing I noticed, they only seem to be cosmetic effects with calculations done in the background. So no stray shots hitting something else, meh.
Actually missed shot do hit other things (like buildings) and they blow them up. But that is all cosmetic.

What I watched of the game so far, it is hide in forest and camp gameplay. Game needs a easy way to put the forest on fire and do damage to mechs hiding there.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree with Country_Gravy. Combat is ok-ish from what I've played so far, but this game still needs a lot of polish.

I imagine Battletech 2 or 3 will be decent, if they get there.

I pre-ordered for the Battletech fluff and single player campaign. I really hope the other parts of the game help elevate the combat experience.

Weasel
The foundation of a fun game is there, but as others have said a lot of work is still needed. Seems unlikely this will be released in a few months. AI is still rough, with certain easily-exploitable tactics - although will be interesting in multiplayer to see how the different things people have come up with work against each other. And stuff like movement ranges, melee damage and headshot probabilities need careful tuning.

Obviously there will be the usual debates over the changes they've made from TT rules. I think most can accept tweaks like giving ACs some more love (although laser boaters are obviously bleating about heat in the current build), but some other changes, while well-intentioned in terms of adding variety... may be a step too far for some. Eg: this budding megathread over the "magic rocks" (mineral deposits which boost damage received/dealt by energy weapons):

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/7227?page=1
On the desert map the mineral deposits give you a buff to energy weapon damage, and cause you to take more energy weapon damage. This doesn't feel like Battletech, and it has no place in the game.
Yes, i also couldn't believe it for a moment. This ranks in the same league as power-ups scattered on the battlefield. Doesn't make any sense neither lore-wise nor regarding real physics.

I have no idea how or why they came up with this, and I really hope they remove it from the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously there will be the usual debates over the changes they've made from TT rules. I think most can accept tweaks like giving ACs some more love (although laser boaters are obviously bleating about heat in the current build), but some other changes, while well-intentioned in terms of adding variety... may be a step too far for some. Eg: this budding megathread over the "magic rocks" (mineral deposits which boost damage received/dealt by energy weapons):

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/7227?page=1
On the desert map the mineral deposits give you a buff to energy weapon damage, and cause you to take more energy weapon damage. This doesn't feel like Battletech, and it has no place in the game.
Yes, i also couldn't believe it for a moment. This ranks in the same league as power-ups scattered on the battlefield. Doesn't make any sense neither lore-wise nor regarding real physics.

I have no idea how or why they came up with this, and I really hope they remove it from the game.
Well, that does sound gamey as hell. And unfitting.
Hope it can be turned off, at least.

Then again, I usually don't care about MP so
:kfc:

Black

Arcane
No reason to think it'll only be on MP maps. I'd expect more of this kind of thing in the entire campaign.

Black

Arcane
Oh yeah, nucom is clearly the way to go when making tactical squad based games.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Game needs a lot more polish. Feels like it misses out on tactical options as it is. It's also a bit plodding and slow at the moment.

If they want to add more options to the map than that shouldn't be too hard. Have certain buildings explode when taking damage. E.G. power stations, fuel stations. Should shake things up. Have a mech have a chance to become tangled when moving through buildings or pylons. Have a mech have a chance to get bogged, mired or stuck when going through mud or water. Give mechs a chance to lose footing and fall down on steep inclines. Have a chance for mechs to fall when going through forest. Have stuff that catches fire and adds heat to your mech like forests. Have different planet types have different effects like heat, cold, rain, acid, mud, slippery ice and so on. Have bunkers aid or attack the player. Add minefields, tank ditches and wire fences. Add support buildings where you can get a small ammo reload or repair buffer in your current mission when you admit a mech for a few turns. Add civilian traffic or crowds (protesters for instance. Remember MW: Mercenaries?) to bring maps more to life. Add options for off map artillery or aircraft/choppers to fire at an area of a map. Useable for both AI and player or even scripted or random. Just a few ideas. Really, you can do a lot without adding silly powerups.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I watched the stream, it was hard to tell apart the different mech models. Also, it didn't really look much better than Shadowrun Returns:(

I watched the stream, it was hard to tell apart the different mech models.

This isn't really a problem when playing the game imo as you can zoom in and out. It helps that I also play MWO, which, as you may know, is where the models came from.

Also, it didn't really look much better than Shadowrun Returns:(

At the moment, yeah. This is pretty much why I said maybe Battletech 2 or 3 might be decent games. This game will need the other parts of the game to elevate both the combat and the game overall to make it decent.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I watched the stream, it was hard to tell apart the different mech models. Also, it didn't really look much better than Shadowrun Returns:(

ITT: People on codex worrying about the graphix.:decline:

How is the gameplay?!
It needs some tweaking. As stated before, it's mostly find cover and try not to overheat. There is a lot to like. I like the initiative system for turns and indirect fire from a missile boat in the back that can't be seen by the enemy mechs is cool. Destroying cover is badly needed imo.

I think once they have the full mech customization and the single player campaign, it could turn out to be quite nice. I just hope that they take user feedback and implement some changes before its finalized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom