Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker details revealed at PaizoCon 2017 - Kickstarter confirmed, possibly in June

ArchAngel

Arcane
Scopes a bit wide I think, you know running an entire bloody kingdom, i'd prefer someat small an managable like Tula in KoDP or even smaller an more detailed. I reckon you could make a stonking game set over just a few square miles, i've done so in tabletop a few times. Plus it gives you room to expand, polish an set reasonable advancement limits.
Then it would not be Kingmaker. And we need Kingmaker!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't underestimate the disgruntled grog market.

On the contrary, I totally underestimate it.

But there might be a deep-pocketed Pathfinder fanboy market, similar to the BattleTechers that made HBS' Kickstarter a success. Though these Russians don't have HBS' track record, nor the equivalent of Jordan Weisman on their team (just MCA...)

aratuk

Cipher
One more time for MCA to whore himself for one more KS of a dubious future.
Well done senpai, well done. Warned you a couple of years ago and here we are. When you wash out entirely (and at your own doing), what then.

Could always fall back on offering… narrative complications, à la carte… at the Laguna Beach rest area men's room.

:shredder:

Ulfhednar

Savant
Why? As if POE 2 is going to raise the bar sky high. A lot of people have had enough of POEs, Tyrannies and Geometric shapes. I don't expect anything from Obsi while that insane balancing clown is leading the show, but the sad reality is that theres no one who could replace him at Obsi (read: they fired everyone capable assuming there were talented individuals in the first place).

Like it or not, PoE is the currently the big fish in the RTwP BG2-clone market...

Also Pillars and BG 2. Hahaha oh wow. Its like saying that Dacia Duster was inspired by Porsche 911.

Uninstall SCS and the quality of life mods and just play the vanilla game... it's not exactly a roadster that way... and I wasn't equating them, I was saying that Obsidian has had an entire game's worth of experience over Pathfinder. Please read for context clues before dumping your butthurt on me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Don't underestimate the disgruntled grog market.

On the contrary, I totally underestimate it.

But there might be a deep-pocketed Pathfinder fanboy market, similar to the BattleTechers that made HBS' Kickstarter a success. Though these Russians don't have HBS' track record, nor the equivalent of Jordan Weisman on their team (just MCA...)
At the time of D&D 4th edition Pathfinder was selling more books and more adventure paths than D&D. I think this KS might do pretty well if Paizo does all it can do to advertise them.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Different genre and different expectations, but Pathfinder Online proved the pocket is pretty deep ($1 million from 8K backers, let alone the tech demo only campaign before that). At the same time, its development state may make some of them wary of another Kickstarter.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Why? As if POE 2 is going to raise the bar sky high. A lot of people have had enough of POEs, Tyrannies and Geometric shapes. I don't expect anything from Obsi while that insane balancing clown is leading the show, but the sad reality is that theres no one who could replace him at Obsi (read: they fired everyone capable assuming there were talented individuals in the first place).

Like it or not, PoE is the currently the big fish in the RTwP BG2-clone market...

What clone market? The one in which DAO claims to be inspired by BG 2? I could go into details why BG2 is leagues above in all aspects (starting with: charactes, character dialogue, story, writing quality, encounters, systems etc.). I am not even sure how fucked up you have to be to even call it a clone? It's like saying anything that comes out from that experiment is a clone, fuck the original's qualities.

Also Pillars and BG 2. Hahaha oh wow. Its like saying that Dacia Duster was inspired by Porsche 911.

Uninstall SCS and the quality of life mods and just play the vanilla game... it's not exactly a roadster that way... and I wasn't equating them, I was saying that Obsidian has had an entire game's worth of experience over Pathfinder. Please read for context clues before dumping your butthurt on me.

Proven wrong by shitty inept systems, cringe worthy lore and lack of interesting abilities. Fucking Aumaua look like frog people it would be fucking nice if would have some interesting animal traits (no, I am not joking). But that's impossible in the balanced system...

Aenra

One more time for MCA to whore himself for one more KS of a dubious future.
Well done senpai, well done. Warned you a couple of years ago and here we are. When you wash out entirely (and at your own doing), what then.

Could always fall back on offering… narrative complications, à la carte… at the Laguna Beach rest area men's room.

:shredder:

It's not the form or type of contribution that's the issue here. It's the incosistency, the randomness, the association (more and more as time goes by) with mediocre projects, dubious ventures and what this all means, future-wise.
We form teams/communities or studios in our context for a reason; even if they are one-man studios. Bit of focus, bit of a clear direction, bit of a.. heading, consistency.

This freelancing to whomever, just for whatever, long as my name "sells", has an expiration date. We're nearing it.

Ulfhednar

Savant

What clone market? The one in which DAO claims to be inspired by BG 2? I could go into details why BG2 is leagues above in all aspects (starting with: charactes, character dialogue, story, writing quality, encounters, systems etc.). I am not even sure how fucked up you have to be to even call it a clone? It's like saying anything that comes out from that experiment is a clone, fuck the original's qualities.

Proven wrong by shitty inept systems, cringe worthy lore and lack of interesting abilities. Fucking Aumaua look like frog people it would be fucking nice if would have some interesting animal traits (no, I am not joking). But that's impossible in the balanced system...

Lovely arguments, triggered snowflake... Do you have anything relevant that you want to add?

Ulfhednar

Savant

Were you hit in the head prior to your relocation to Valhalla or is it a congenital trait?

Tangential to subject... again...

You are the one calling a game that has no qualities of the original a clone and seeing a market that exists solely in your head...

Oh I'm sorry, was that what I did wrong. Shall I kiss it and make it better?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Were you hit in the head prior to your relocation to Valhalla or is it a congenital trait?

Tangential to subject... again...

You are the one calling a game that has no qualities of the original a clone and seeing a market that exists solely in your head...

Oh I'm sorry, was that what I did wrong. Shall I kiss it and make it better?
Sure one kiss will suffice *unzips pants*.

Ulfhednar

Savant
There you have it guys - l3loodAngel, confirmed:

Gay-Swastika-450x270.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Avellone's easier to contract than a crack whore

I imagined a man of his fame would pick his projects with a modicum of reserve
Well Prey was praised for being a good game, FTL as well. BG:SoD he did nothing except read through their story and offer some advice and play the game before others and give his opinions. In PoE his companions are the best.
And involvement in this game so far is not positive or negative because we neither know how much he is involved or how good or bad the game is going to be.
Also he is involved in D:OS2 which is also wanted and expected by many here.

His companion in TToN is not the best. What else did he fail in games released since leaving Obsidian?

Zeriel

Arcane
OH BOY ANOTHER KICKSTARTER

I AM THRILLED TO PAY CHRIS AVELLONE'S LIVING EXPENSES

Tags: Chris Avellone; Owlcat Games; Paizo Publishing; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The hope is to release Summer 2018.

Releasing three months after PoE 2: Deadfire... Ballsy...
I for one will buy this game, I am excited about it. I will never buy another PoE game or anything based on it ever again however. Its the worst combat and character creation I have ever played in a popular RPG. I honestly cant stand it. I wish they had just used the OGL instead of whatever the fuck they created. I am still pissed about it.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I for one will buy this game, I am excited about it. I will never buy another PoE game or anything based on it ever again however. Its the worst combat and character creation I have ever played in a popular RPG. I honestly cant stand it. I wish they had just used the OGL instead of whatever the fuck they created. I am still pissed about it.

Again, it doesn't matter whether you like PoE or not... It is ballsy for a no name Russian development studio to release a new flagship RTwP isometric Western cRPG about 3 months after the sequel to the most successful title in that genre in 15 years. With or without Chris Avellone, I have serious doubts about this game's chances of reaching 1,000,000 units the way that PoE did.

I hope it turns out well... I liked PoE, but you're right that it doesn't scratch the AD&D itch. As I said earlier, it's good to see that they seem to have built the systems first before generating game content.

Black

Arcane

So you won't buy PoE but you're set on buying a generic fantasy rtwp rpg.
:neveraskedforthis:

So you won't buy PoE but you're set on buying a generic fantasy rtwp rpg.
:neveraskedforthis:
has nothing to do with the setting or 'lore' or whatever the fuck. That part hardly matters to me to be honest. Sure, its nice if all of that is good and well developed-- but generic with good systems, magic items, classes and party creation is what actually matters.

The system, combat, character development, loot/items is 95% of what makes a CRPG fun (or not) and PoE has terrible and not fun combat and systems. Playing baldurs gate after quitting PoE (not even a game I like that much, I prefer icewind dale)really highlighted this point and it put PoE to shame.

Baldurs gate was so much more fun that it is not even close. Its fun because D&D is fun. PoE would be fun if it used D&D or the OGL, but instead they spent buckets of money developing a much worse system for some reason. It makes zero sense except it was one mans ego finally being given complete creative control.

The whole rules development saga of PoE seems to have been almost completely an adventure to feed Joshes and some obscure internet message boards ego and wrong headed ideas regarding CRPG games and systems . It was worse than just a waste of money and time imo because it ruined what could have been a decent game which is now beyond recovery because the systems it is based on are so awful. But to make it worse it then causes not just obsidian but many/most developers to come to the completely wrong conclusions about CRPG's. Conclusions there is no market complicated CRPG character development and systems.

I would be totally fine if some company or group of people just used the IE engine (or better yet the Temple of Elemental Evil engine) and churned out modules for decades on end. Its not that people don't like 'complicated' or in depth rules and party creation, its that they don't like YOUR absolutely horrible instincts regarding what is 'good game development'.

It is my opinion that there is a relativity easy and uncomplicated pile of money that can be tapped for years if developers would put their game rules design fantasies aside and simply use a semi modern nice looking engine to churn out D&D/OGL linked modules for years and years and years. Instead we get these guys spending millions on the completely wrong things, making god awful shit while all believing 'D&D sucks' and that they and their friends know how to develop brand new and better system in a just a couple of years. Completely deluded and total waste of money, while sinking the CRPG market at the same time.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Again, it doesn't matter whether you like PoE or not... It is ballsy for a no name Russian development studio to release a new flagship RTwP isometric Western cRPG about 3 months after the sequel to the most successful title in that genre in 15 years. With or without Chris Avellone, I have serious doubts about this game's chances of reaching 1,000,000 units the way that PoE did.

:abyssgazer:You just keep pulling and pulling stuff out your arse. Sawyer is that you? Nobody can be that misguided but him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom