Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
Real-time with pause tho... Looks bland as fuk.
I would not say that. The Giant actually looks the right scale for a change. Looks to me better then all the medium dragons from PoE.

Real-time with pause tho... Looks bland as fuk.
I would not say that. The Giant actually looks the right scale for a change. Looks to me better then all the medium dragons from PoE.

Giant does indeed look cool, though the texturing is a little flat and uninspired to my tastes. However, I am not a fan of Infinity-styled games. RTwP is a no-no, as is having no direct control over your character - only autopathfinding, and scripts you can inject for your companions. If it goes beyond being a mere Baldur's Gate clone, I will give it a shot. Mechanically, it looks derivative, and nothing about the art style sets it apart. I am not sure how deep the Pathfinding lore and universe go, but that could be the make-it-or-break-it of this game, whether the story and lore are deep enough to give the mechanics place and meaning in a detailed universe. One compliment, I am glad they are not afraid to use gigantic scale creatures in their game. The scale of the giant looks about right, and I love facing enemies that make me pale physically in comparison. A little more detail wouldn't hurt, as something is "off" about the toes and feet. This is on my "wait-and-see" list for now.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I thought fantasy was not MCA's happy place.

He hates elves and swords. He's had no problem working on fantasy games before, like the Icewind Dales, Dark Alliances, Mask of the Betrayer.

I don't believe that exist such a thing as a bad genre to work with. The bad thing is what people do with it. And MCA is a writer, a good one. I can't imagine a good artist that restrict his/her creativity with anything. But that is only my opinion.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Possible Kickstarter in June, huh? That's soon. Hopefully they don't launch in the middle of E3 or something. :P

deuxhero

Arcane
So it's not only RtWP, but Unity and a Kickstarter?

Not even on a 90% off sale. :keepmymoney:

There is literally no reason to use Unity for a new production when UE now has almost as good terms and actually runs at a decent speed.

I thought fantasy was not MCA's happy place.

He hates elves and swords. He's had no problem working on fantasy games before, like the Icewind Dales, Dark Alliances, Mask of the Betrayer.

I know, but to be honest Pathfinder seems so standard and basic that Forgotten Realms start to look quite original by comparison. I'm afraid even Avellone's talent might find it too barren to come up with interesting subverted tropes or something. Am I missing something here?

On the other hand, good work always seems to come from limitations. Maybe the limitation of cookie cutter fantasy will produce a masterpiece?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know, but to be honest Pathfinder seems so standard and basic that Forgotten Realms start to look quite original by comparison. I'm afraid even Avellone's talent might find it too barren to come up with interesting subverted tropes or something. Am I missing something here?

On the other hand, good work always seems to come from limitations. Maybe the limitation of cookie cutter fantasy will produce a masterpiece?

He also wrote every companion in NWN2. :M

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/KnowDirection/posts/1540168102730538

Lisa Stevens [Paizo CEO] says Chris Avellone was trying to talk her into a Pathfinder CRPG since he was with Obsidian. He arranged a meeting with who would be Owlcat at GenCon 2016. They presented a "vertical slice" demo in March for Paizo to play. Paizo staff is super excited, especially with how the flavour of Golarion comes through.

Creative director Aleksandr Mishulin was inspired by AD&D to make games. He has done so for 18 years.

Combat will have multiple modes: Core Rules (similar to tabletop Pathfinder but real time, not turn based), adapted rules (less deadly for less experienced, crits deadliness reduced), story mode (really simple combat), Iron man (tougher monsters, just one save that overwrites itself so accept your mistakes), and custom (for example, core rules with reduced crits).

Story: Chris Avellone said Lisa Stevens drove home the point that Kingmaker is near and dear to her heart, having run it multiple times. He understood this to mean "Don't -bleet- this up"."

The story is adapted from the AP but with new narrative elements

The aim for exploration is to make the player feel in control. One major way it will be different from other CRPGs is camp, where you have to choose a safe place, assign hunting and guard duties, and interact with the NPCs

Kingdom building: A new system based on the tabletop version but without so many micro decisions. The buildings you make impact the Kingdom's alignment and the alignment affects how other kingdoms and visitors interact with it.

On a character level, your decisions affect your alignment, and your alignment affects how NPCs interact with you, including your party companions who all have their own agendas.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be funded via Kickstarter, launching soon. The hope is to release Summer 2018.

Mass combat will only be in the game if the Kickstarter campaign spectacularly over funds. It requires that many original assets.

Character generation: you can play any Core Rulebook race, and any Core Rulebook class plus the alchemist and inquisitor.

Re: The OGL
They haven't solved all of the OGL issues, but they've found work around for any that would prevent making a video game. The foremost authorities on the OGL all work for Paizo.

:mca:

laclongquan

Arcane
"Combat will have multiple modes: Core Rules (similar to tabletop Pathfinder but real time, not turn based), adapted rules (less deadly for less experienced, crits deadliness reduced), story mode (really simple combat), Iron man (tougher monsters, just one save that overwrites itself so accept your mistakes), and custom (for example, core rules with reduced crits)."

This is the good old Silent Storm Sentinels and Hammer Sickle optional difficulty. It can have serious impact on gameplay, as in you can play different builds for different diff.

Example: pistoleros. I love using pistols in S2/3 HS. Problem is, it's only viable at less than max HP bloat for enemy, because you can not cut them down fast enough. Even with crit builds, pistol's versality can not offset the highest HP bloat. So you save this build for less than 300%HP for enemy. and use SMG/MG for those montrosities.

So it can be a good gameplay experience.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Combat will have multiple modes: Core Rules (similar to tabletop Pathfinder but real time, not turn based), adapted rules (less deadly for less experienced, crits deadliness reduced), story mode (really simple combat), Iron man (tougher monsters, just one save that overwrites itself so accept your mistakes), and custom (for example, core rules with reduced crits)."

This is the good old Silent Storm Sentinels and Hammer Sickle optional difficulty. It can have serious impact on gameplay, as in you can play different builds for different diff.

Example: pistoleros. I love using pistols in S2/3 HS. Problem is, it's only viable at less than max HP bloat for enemy, because you can not cut them down fast enough. Even with crit builds, pistol's versality can not offset the highest HP bloat. So you save this build for less than 300%HP for enemy. and use SMG/MG for those montrosities.

I thought you ran engineers as pistoleros, using traps where pistols became inadequate. Or so your guide went. Any damn weapon is viable in H&S though, innit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the problem is,so far everything looks so lacking and generic. But who knows, it might be a,surprise hit

MCA isn't an artist; we've seen very little writing as of yet.
obviously duh, MCA is talented, but if the rest of the team are untalented (say,what you want about PoE, obsidian artists are great. The background was pretty) hacks it will just bog everything down.

You need a solid team of relatively equal talent in their field to make a masterpiece, or at least half of the team that hold key aspect of the game.

So far, the art has beem pretty lacking and its not about technical graphics, it is about the personality in it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
the problem is,so far everything looks so lacking and generic. But who knows, it might be a,surprise hit

MCA isn't an artist; we've seen very little writing as of yet.
obviously duh, MCA is talented, but if the rest of the team are untalented (say,what you want about PoE, obsidian artists are great. The background was pretty) hacks it will just bog everything down.

You need a solid team of relatively equal talent in their field to make a masterpiece, or at least half of the team that hold key aspect of the game.

So far, the art has beem pretty lacking and its not about technical graphics, it is about the personality in it.
Graphics matter the least. PoE was a shiny turd, kotc was better in anything that mattered. So was BG.
If this game brings us good combat and decent exploration and story that is good enough.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

I thought you ran engineers as pistoleros, using traps where pistols became inadequate. Or so your guide went. Any damn weapon is viable in H&S though, innit.

Because S3's got a special route for engineer MC which is why I concentrate so much on that build. And if you got engineer, just go for pistol for the max challenge. Though the special battle is not that overwhelming, and the special soldier is tailor made for the Assault option end game. Literally tailor made because you can not choose stealth with it in tow.

H&S got too many builds to have a favourite. Though if you play pistol at hardest difficulty you are going to get raped, which is why my qualifier above. Too many crippling role play features.
+ If you play Medic, you are going to shine at late game, especially the last battle when you can use the best drugs for the best effect.
+ Engineer is excess because you can get 2 ENG class.
+ Scout, Sniper, Soldier are good to go~

With all the valid arguments about art style being more important than the engine, has anyone ever seen a beautiful Unity based game? Only PoE comes to mind, and that's because of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Story mode has become a staple of "serious", "old school" RPGs, so the gameplay doesn't interfere with 600k - 1,200k words lore dumps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom