Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

This just in, lads: playing vidya gayms and slurping milkshakes gets you forests of pussy. And if you disagree, mah boi Rhodie here will tell mommy you're all butthurt.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
t. a butthurt Command & Cuckold and/or Supreme Beta: Cuckold Alliance fan whose upset their game isn't as popular

I am baffled and confused by the people who think slipping "cuck" in everywhere is a witty and clever insult.
19968.jpg
shut up, cuck

So any PTR folks around here? How far is it from RC state? I got an RTS itch that sc2 can't scratch anymore (and barely could back in the day).
PTR was pretty shaky to begin with, but they've fixed the vast majority of the issues it had now and it's pretty much identical to the original game in its current state unless you're a Korean pro who's finely tuned enough to notice microsecond differences in mouse response.

Patch 1.18 is actually rolled out now on the official client, so you couldn't play 1.16.1 if you wanted to outside of Iccup. Even Fish has forced the new update.

I dunno, why do dumbretard casuals like yourself think "the straaategyyy" can ever be made compelling in an RTS? People who fucked off to 4x games after sucking at Dawn of War need to stay there. Like oh wow you did build order x to counter build order y but he did build order z instead so now you have to build a and b buildings to make rock and scissors units to salvage the game that's so interesting and compelling please tell me more.

Starcraft represents the RTS in its purest form because it (and most of its Golden Age cousins really apart from Total Annihilation) emphasises the fact it's real-time. Whether that was by design or not doesn't even matter, even accidental incline is still incline.
In Starcraft, your mechanics are your strategy. You can have all the good "strategy" in the world and still lose because you don't know how to actually use any of your units or control your economy, and that is why Starcraft is still so dynamic and why it's probably the only RTS that will ever have such a wide range of valid playstyles. You can kill any player with anything if you practice it hard enough, it's just that some things are harder to perfect than others.
When people say that this reliance on actually having to learn to play a game is bad and should be removed to make it more accessible I have to wonder just what the fuck they are talking about. Using mechanics is the entire game, hell it's the entire fucking genre. You don't have much left if you take that out.

It's also funny that you call Starcraft esports trash even though it's really not. Every attempt to replicate the formula (most notably EA's attempt in 2007) has failed because there is no successful formula for an esports RTS, barring a planetary alignment or literal divine intervention. The sequel only "succeeded" because of hype and a shitload of money directly poured into the scene by Blizzard and various sponsors to force it to stay alive, and even that's starting to fall behind while Brood War resurges. A resurgence which by the way started almost a full year before SC:R's announcement.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I dunno, why do dumbretard casuals like yourself think "the straaategyyy" can ever be made compelling in an RTS? People who fucked off to 4x games after sucking at Dawn of War need to stay there. Like oh wow you did build order x to counter build order y but he did build order z instead so now you have to build a and b buildings to make rock and scissors units to salvage the game that's so interesting and compelling please tell me more.

Starcraft represents the RTS in its purest form because it (and most of its Golden Age cousins really apart from Total Annihilation) emphasises the fact it's real-time. Whether that was by design or not doesn't even matter, even accidental incline is still incline.
In Starcraft, your mechanics are your strategy. You can have all the good "strategy" in the world and still lose because you don't know how to actually use any of your units or control your economy, and that is why Starcraft is still so dynamic and why it's probably the only RTS that will ever have such a wide range of valid playstyles. You can kill any player with anything if you practice it hard enough, it's just that some things are harder to perfect than others.
When people say that this reliance on actually having to learn to play a game is bad and should be removed to make it more accessible I have to wonder just what the fuck they are talking about. Using mechanics is the entire game, hell it's the entire fucking genre. You don't have much left if you take that out.

It's also funny that you call Starcraft esports trash even though it's really not. Every attempt to replicate the formula (most notably EA's attempt in 2007) has failed because there is no successful formula for an esports RTS, barring a planetary alignment or literal divine intervention. The sequel only "succeeded" because of hype and a shitload of money directly poured into the scene by Blizzard and various sponsors to force it to stay alive, and even that's starting to fall behind while Brood War resurges. A resurgence which by the way started almost a full year before SC:R's announcement.
This is the shit I'm talking about. It's the best because, basically, it "takes skill", which you seem to think is not only an objective measure of a game's worth, but the measure of it. As I said, it seems like you're just incapable of appreciating other types of games, which you seem to think is a good thing but joke's on you dumbass, I get to have fun in a lot of things whereas your cock only gets hard for shit you can feel smug over beating people in.

Everything you don't like >>>>> Shitcraft, because they're actually fun to non-autists.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are a true retard here. Just because you have fun passing a ball to your kid does not mean you can say "oh that football, it is shit. Why play that when I can just pass a ball to a kid"

Dayyālu

Arcane
Suspiciously high number of inmates disliking Starcraft in this thread. I always knew hating Starcraft for being too difficult for everybody to be good at would be linked to communism.

I am a communist and I like Starcraft.

(And AoE2. And TA. And C&C. And DoW. And Wargame. And BZ1998. BZ1998 is probably my favourite RTS ever, breaking the micro\macro problem with beauty. Being pigeonholed wasn't my thing.)

I'll freely admit that my favourite style of RTS was TA, though. Starcraft is great, but it lacks.... something that TA had (even if TA has a very limited amount of viable strategies and the factions are unbalanced, but that's the difference between a carefully managed game like SC and something that has been abandoned).

ArchAngel

Arcane
TA was fun to play less seriously, something you cannot really do in Starcraft. Like it TA we would sneak big cannons to positions that can reach enemy base or make mass air and nuke defense and then proceed to make your nukes while using mass air to destroy their nuke defense and then have fun blowing their whole base to nothing. Stuff like that.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'd say TA was my least favourite style of RTS, but Sins of a Solar Empire exists.

Hell, Sins of probably one of the few RTS I never got into. I liked games that had a similar playstyle like ... whatwasthename..... Haegemonia: Legions of Iron. Sins never clicked with me. Dunnow why, the community was quite alive years ago.

TA was fun to play less seriously, something you cannot really do in Starcraft. Like it TA we would sneak big cannons to positions that can reach enemy base or make mass air and nuke defense and then proceed to make your nukes while using mass air to destroy their nuke defense and then have fun blowing their whole base to nothing. Stuff like that.

TA has the problem that, in its baseline form, ARM is simply better than CORE and unit balance is iffy (Tier1 unit spam is always superior). With fan-made rebalance mods, it's indeed better, but the lack of support is obvious for such an old game. The TA-style games are for me kinda more fun than SC-style games (A.k.a. traditional RTS) because of the inherent flexibility and size: SupCom is particularly good in that regard. In my dreamland, the "future of RTS" was something like Planetary Annihilation, just done competently.

My other RTS love, and one I wasted quite a bit of time in (I was even one of the few regular Euro players in ages past, before the HD remake and the takedowns killed all the community) was Battlezone1998. BZ1998 approached the traditional problem of micro\macro in a very simple way: the player was a physical entity on the battlefield, driving a tank\artillery piece\on foot. That made sperging-level micro impossible as you could not micro-manage units without someone shooting at you, and you had to be the driving force of any attack. Economical development had to be left on auto (can't waste time on that bar on prioritizing resource zones and hoping the AI doesn't screw up too bad).

That built a fascinating mechanic where you got "micro" focused players (good at directing their own troops in combat) "macro" focused players (good at overall map expansion and resource management) and "combat" focused players that were hellbent on direct combat. A great situation that I've never found anywhere else.

That built a fascinating mechanic where you got "micro" focused players (good at directing their own troops in combat) "macro" focused players (good at overall map expansion and resource management) and "combat" focused players that were hellbent on direct combat. A great situation that I've never found anywhere else.
Starcraft has something nigh-identical to that for the exact same reasons; I.E It's impossible to be perfect at everything. At the end of the day, you have to figure out what your mechanical style is and try to build flexibility and precision around that. Something that a lot of the "fucked off to 4x games after sucking at Dawn of War and then inexplicably came back to drown us in their shit opinions 13 years later" crowd can't understand is that the perfect player of an RTS shouldn't be possible and trying to intentionally create a situation where it should be removes pretty much everything of substance from the genre. Those types of players don't even exist in Starcraft, there are incredibly dominant players during certain eras but none of them are truly "perfect."

Is BZ1998 still played/purchasable? If you're gonna shill something you better start providing catalogue entries.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Is BZ1998 still played/purchasable? If you're gonna shill something you better start providing catalogue entries.

Purchasable, yes.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/Battlezone_98_Redux/

MP community is somewhat dead, as the fan community sites for a decade or so thrived on giving you freely cracked versions of the game patched up by one of the original devs that kept it up as a work of love. The Redux (version) pretty much killed all the fan sites, killed all the free downloads and thus quickly killed the influx of new players. You still find some people around, but it's the usual for half-forgotten games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom