Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe we need to start having brawls.

We need a conch.
xIpWXsBH.jpeg

Bakunin

Novice
The RPG of the twenty-first century cannot take its poetry from the past but only from the future. It cannot begin with itself before it has stripped away all superstition about the past. Former RPGS required recollections of past games in order to smother their own content. The RPG of the twenty-first century must let the dead bury their dead in order to arrive at its own content.

I don't know why, but I'm getting mad 18th Brumaire vibes from ZA/UM. Marx at his most Leninist, an ur-'concrete analysis of the concrete situation' and all that. Here's hoping you succeed.

A question for you, Kasparov - does your alternate history have its own Hegel?

And would you say that the presence in this imagined world of an archetypal 'failed revolution' (as you mention somewhere above) is symptomatic of a young Estonian 'melancholy left' attempting to mourn the dead futures of the twentieth century in the suffocatingly shortened political spaces of experience / horizons of expectation of post-1991 Europe? Or would you argue that there is in fact something emancipatory in your project - in unspooling alternate histories, in creating / playing RPGs?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
The narrator in the trailer is still horrible, will probably lose you a couple of hundred units sold. I get you try to attain LA Noire type narration, but it just doesn't cut it.
Still? That is the same trailer from 2016.
Still = as bad as I remembered it'd be.
Who could ever think that hiring Phil Anselmo as a narrator would be a good idea.

Bakunin

Novice
Sorry, I was pretty drunk for the above post.

Basically, it seems to me that these guys are trying to craft a world on a different level from any RPG I've ever heard of before - not only drawing out a map & populating it with vaguely Tolkien-derived bestiaries & surface-level political systems, but actually trying to treat it historically - casting it as the product of long historical arcs / deep plays of structure as well as raw contingency / flashes in the Jetztzeit. An RPG situated in a world with epistemological history is a game that I want to play.

I was just trying to ask two questions above.

1) - In a question purely about world building, I'm quite curious to learn if your alternate history possesses alternate historiographies. That is, I'd like to hear more about how you dig into the agents of your fantastic history examining, thinking through, arguing the premises of this very same history over time. [i.e. does your world possess a Von Ranke, a Hegel - or are there others who must be flipped on their heads?]

2) - Engaging with history - be it our own or one imagined - is always undertaken from the present & always-already colored by this present; the terms of this engagement enabled / limited (yet never fully determined) by our contemporary socio-historical bloc (material, political, personal, usw.). My second question - how are 'No Truce' & its world the expression of a particular experience of 21st century Estonia? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Is this extended, strange text a prolonged act of mourning? Or does it hold out for something more? Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom