Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How the fuck are you getting 100+ packs (kegs?) that fast after the reset? Do they just give you them at the start?

Trotsky

Arcane
CD Projekt Red didn't want to screw over closed beta players who had invested time and in some cases money into the game.

They implemented a system of rewards for player level, player rank, seasonal prizes, small gifts, and reimbursements for kegs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, well, fuck that. Would only bother if people started on a relatively even field.

Grubba

Arcane
Yup, closed beta players got 2 kegs for every 5 levels and 2 kegs for each rank. Just busted open 58 kegs of my 158 total. Already got two premium legendaries, Keira Metz and Gerald: Aard. Two or three premium epics as well, glad to see they increased the drop rate of those primos. Very impressed that they have a premium version of every single card in the game already. A ton of work was put into this and it shows.

Gotta laugh at the people who criticize this game because it doesn't have that special Blizzard "polish" that Hearthstone has. If there was ever any doubt that HS is a children's card game, just compare the art style to Gwent.

As far as how the new meta might shake out, sounds like Skellige queensguards and Nilfgaard reveal are standing out already.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
Oh, well, fuck that. Would only bother if people started on a relatively even field.

Bah, just give it a week or two. By that time the people who are starting with 100+ kegs will have climbed the ladder and you won't have to face them. Besides, there was only like 150-200k people in closed beta, there will be much more coming in now who will all be starting fresh

Cadmus

Arcane
Played a few lvl1 matches with starter dexks and won. Id say the playing dield is now about as even as it can get realistically

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't you 'retard' me Hoaxmetal -- tell you what... you can delete all the shit you got from the Closed Beta kegs and start off from scratch and tell me how awesome it is!

v1rus

Arcane
Well, I must say, I'm god darn amazed by this game. Terrific, in every aspect, so far. I'm still a newb, and as such, I probably dont understand a lot of it, but for now, as a fucker who keeps playing one trick pony decks, i fucking luv it and cant wait to learn it proper.

The only thing that's missing for me is in-game chat window - if you ask me, one of Hearthstone's biggest advantages as a game is this, combined with the fact that you are logged on battle.net, which allows you to chat not only with your buddies who play Hearthstone, but all those playing blizzard games, and those are rather played.

The other thing that bothers me is personal, and its rather simple - i dont know any of those fuckin' characters :negative: I'm finishing a Wticher 1 playthrough right now, and will follow with the rest, but I keep feeling like cards are already spoling me the games - liek that dude with his head in his arms. I'm quite fuckign sure thats supposed to be a twist.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wow this game changed a lot and it looks for the better. I love the additional premium cards -- the animations are just so smooth.

Trotsky

Arcane
I opened my kegs and got several premiums split evenly between bronze and silver. I got a few decent epics as well. As for gold I got Keira Metz, Shani, Saskia, and Kayran.

I'm not sure what to think since my favorite faction was spy Nilfgaard. I probably should have gotten more spy units for other factions. Scoia'tael is likely my strongest faction.

hivemind

they managed to make whether even more cancer than it was before

RuySan

Augur
Joined the open beta. My only disappointment with it is that the overall art style is a bit more than in TW3. Even so, I prefer this aesthetics to any other current popular digital card games.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm also really liking the game a lot so far. Had some decent success with tweaked starter Nilfgaard deck. Nilfgaard decks look pretty fun, but expensive as the golds and silvers seem to be too necessary. Now I made a a very budget Queensguard deck which also seems to be doing alright even without key cards like Operator. Also opened first gold, Yennefer, which seems ok-ish.

By the way how do seasons work in this? Is it a new season every month like in Hearthstone or are they longer?

The other thing that bothers me is personal, and its rather simple - i dont knwo any of those fuckin' characters :negative: I'm finish a Wticher 1 play through right now, and will follow with the rest, but I keep feeling like cards are already spoliation me tha games - liek that dude with his head in his arms. Im quite fuckign sure thats supposed to be a twist.
There are sadly some spoilers I think, but I guess that's pretty unavoidable and it isn't actually that bad here. Interestingly I noticed there are barely any characters from Witcher 1, it's mostly from 3 and from the books.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Played this game for a few hours: the UI is shockingly bad. You lose access to your graveyard when decisions hinge on what's inside it, the summon mechanic is an exercise in shitty bookkeeping, weather effects are only described if a weather card got placed in the graveyard (and if it wasn't, the information can't be found anywhere), etc. etc.

My head is spinning from the sheer number of glaring oversights.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm just barely getting back into it, but I've had great success using the Nilfgaards against Weather.

I run 1-Clear Weather, 3-Horsies that also clear weather + buff, a 3-STR guy who has Clear Weather (+ other options), and two potential redeploys of any of those above minions. Weather begone squad.

Also, Nilfs are fun cause you run into situations like this:

PGRd4Uh.jpg

hivemind

all the new 3str multiple spell choice mages are such great cards design wise imo

Heresiarch

Prophet
Just joined the open beta and played around a bit. The art is fantastic and is very dynamic so far. My MTG-trained subconsciousness is telling me the game can mix up tons of combos and metas despite how "simple" it looks.

One thing that has worried me since I've heard about Gwent going standalone though is how long the game can stay alive. Hearthstone has a massive amount of Warcraft stories/characters to create new cards from but even it needs to push out expansions constantly in order to keep players interested. The Witcher universe on the other hand is much more limited in the field of fluff; not to mention players get legendary characters like Geralt and Triss in starter packs. How would CD Red Projekt keep Gwent staying alive for 3-4 years?

hivemind

well CDP own the creative license for the Witcher and they plan on adding full on RPG-lite story campaigns so they can just endlessly generate their own cards based on characters in that content without it ever looking as stupid as Quilboar Bikers etc. that blizz comes up with

anotherway is simply multiple version of story characters
for example both yen and triss have 2 different cards that are them
geralt has 1 main "Geralt" card and then a "Geralt: Igni" and a "Geralt: Aard" cards
Regis has a normal and a "higher vampire" versions of cards
also they haven't even touched characters from the first witcher game for the most part and there is still a bunch of book ones missing

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hearthstone technically isn't even attached to Warcraft anymore, by the way. They removed that subheader which is why a lot of the cards if not whole expansions have nothing to do with WoW.

Grubba

Arcane
By the way how do seasons work in this? Is it a new season every month like in Hearthstone or are they longer?

I'm not sure if there's official word but I've seen people on reddit and twitch say the seasons will be two months

they managed to make whether even more cancer than it was before

Bronze weather is fine now but people are bitchy over gold weather. Newbs gotta learn that you should probably run at least one First Light in every deck, it's just a part of the game. I do think that Aeromancy being able to pull weathers out of the graveyard is a bit bullshit though.

Been fiddling around with ST mulligan decks the past couple days. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with it but it seems like something that could be good, just hafta find the right mix of cards. Has a similar feel to nilfgaard reveal, except you have commando neophytes and vrihedd vanguard instead of mangonel/spotter. Bully the first round and then drop swole Vanguards for the win in round 2 or 3. Round 1 usually goes pretty quick, opponents often concede after I've pulled Saskia, Roach, and Aelirenn out of my deck and flooded the board after just a few turns. Probably not a tier 1 deck but it's been fun to play.

I'm only level 7 so I have yet to see what the ladder is like but it seems like the bulk of my games have been against SK with NG a close second. I think I've only played against NR once the past few days.

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bronze weather is fine now but people are bitchy over gold weather. Newbs gotta learn that you should probably run at least one First Light in every deck, it's just a part of the game. I do think that Aeromancy being able to pull weathers out of the graveyard is a bit bullshit though.
Yeah, but one first light is nowhere near enough. I'm running 1 First Light, 1 Nauzica Standard Bearer, Vanhemar and Decoy and I still struggle against monster weather decks, because they usually run 6-7 weathers. It doesn't help that it seems to be the most common deck on the ladder. I'm probably gonna have to add another weather removal, I mean I understand teching is always necessary, but having to run 3-5 weather removals seems pretty crazy.
Been fiddling around with ST mulligan decks the past couple days. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with it but it seems like something that could be good, just hafta find the right mix of cards. Has a similar feel to nilfgaard reveal, except you have commando neophytes and vrihedd vanguard instead of mangonel/spotter. Bully the first round and then drop swole Vanguards for the win in round 2 or 3. Round 1 usually goes pretty quick, opponents often concede after I've pulled Saskia, Roach, and Aelirenn out of my deck and flooded the board after just a few turns. Probably not a tier 1 deck but it's been fun to play.
I played against that a few times. I've been playing Nilfgaard reveal last couple of days and I think neither of those are tier 1, but they still seem viable enough. The spies for NG and Dwarves/Eithne control just seem to be a better choice when it comes to pure competitiveness.
I'm only level 7 so I have yet to see what the ladder is like but it seems like the bulk of my games have been against SK with NG a close second. I think I've only played against NR once the past few days.
I'm currently rank 8 on the ladder and it's mostly Eredin Weather, Calveit Spy, Queensguards and Dwarves. The only NR deck I'm seeing is the Henselt Reaver one, but it's not very common.

hivemind

spotters are shit now btw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom