Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX - Top Roguelikes - Voting Thread

Vote for every RPG you have played, stating whether you liked it or not.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Moria should be on this list, c'mon OP shake the cack out of your head.

Well, nobody nominated Moria back when the Nomination thread was up. Would you say it deserved to be here because it was important, or because it really is a fantastic roguelike? Notice how half of the people who played Rogue didn't like it. I just didn't want this to become another of those "Imma nominate this old ass game because it was the first to do this".

Exhuminator

Arcane
Came here to vote for Beneath Apple Manor. It's not even listed on the poll.

Also not a single Mystery Dungeon entry on the poll either.

This poll sucks rotten cock.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Came here to vote for Beneath Apple Manor. It's not even listed on the damn poll.

Also not a single Mystery Dungeon entry on the poll either.

This pole sucks rotten cock.

You should have nominated them. You had seven days to do so.

Also, BAM is a shit roguelike and nothing but something of historical curiosity (I would know, I've played it and beaten it).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Poll closes tomorrow! Let's get some more votes in, people. So far, 65 votes. Surely more than 65 users have played a roguelike in their lives?

Well, nobody nominated Moria back when the Nomination thread was up. Would you say it deserved to be here because it was important, or because it really is a fantastic roguelike? Notice how half of the people who played Rogue didn't like it. I just didn't want this to become another of those "Imma nominate this old ass game because it was the first to do this".

Moria was both important and a truly fantastic roguelike. And the fact that you have to ask me that convinces me that you really know nothing on the topic of roguelikes, and their history. I now SHIT on this poll.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Moria was both important and a truly fantastic roguelike. And the fact that you have to ask me that convinces me that you really know nothing on the topic of roguelikes, and their history. I now SHIT on this poll.

Not sure how my opinion means anything on this poll. The Codex nominated the games, and I'm polling all of the nominated games. You should have nominated Moria when you had the chance.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well, your name is "Arse" so what else would we expect?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I want to reiterate something that I can't be 100% sure everyone has read: you must vote for every roguelike you have played. This isn't a "this is the best roguelike I have played in my life" type of poll.

So if you have voted only for the one game you think is the best ever, but have played other roguelikes, I insist you vote again, this time voting for all the roguelikes you have played. This poll wasn't only made to know which ones are the good ones, but also the ones to stay away from. Crypt of the Necrodancer so far seems to be the one to stay really away from.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Sigourn This is the largest poll I have ever seen on the Codex. Did the admins manually remove the limitation of just 30 poll options, which it was before?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sigourn This is the largest poll I have ever seen on the Codex. Did the admins manually remove the limitation of just 30 poll options, which it was before?

It appears they did, originally I didn't want to make this poll because I had heard of such limitation, and was afraid the thread wouldn't even post.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
POOL IS CLOSED.

Thank you for your votes, everyone. Sadly, because I'm currently in the middle of studying for an exam due on June 7th, it will be many days before I can compile the official results. Especially because of the way the poll was done: it means we have to check every single voting to see if people accidentally (or on purpose) voted for the same game twice: once for "I enjoyed it", another for "I didn't enjoy it", meaning it takes far more time than I'm willing to commit at the moment.

EDIT: For example, racofer voted that he both liked AND disliked Incursion.

EDIT: And not only did this retard NOT vote on the OBLIGATORY VOTE option, he also disliked every single game on the poll, meaning his opinion is as good as nothing and thus removed from the results.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, to be fair, the "obligatory vote here" is not really necessary since you can calculate the total number of voters from each vote with the % of total votes next to it. It was also clear that not everyone would click on that button anyway (30% didn't).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well, to be fair, the "obligatory vote here" is not really necessary since you can calculate the total number of voters from each vote with the % of total votes next to it. It was also clear that not everyone would click on that button anyway (30% didn't).

Well, at the moment I can't know for sure how many people voted because of the %. I know at least 72 people voted, but anyhow, I'm at least slapping the results on an Excel sheet. racofer instantly stood out since he voted on all games I had analyzed so far, and all of them were disliked by him. After I saw the results for the games I didn't analyze yet (NetHack, ADOM, ToME, basically all games with a lot of votes) I found he didn't like a single one, so maybe he didn't like roguelikes to begin with? (It's why I asked those type of users to refrain from voting)

The only two users that have voted on all games so far (that I have recorded) are Elim and Tom Baker's Arse, but at least these users have liked a few of the games.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
All votes accounted for!

I had some time to kill, so I was able to get that Excel done. Only votes I left out were those of racofer and my own vote against Rogue, since I don't think I'm a roguelike fan, so it would be unfair to count my vote.

Award for most anal roguelike Codexer goes to Tom Baker's Arse , who disliked pretty much everything in the poll except 8 games. Wow! Some Codexers have also played only one roguelike, probably the most interesting case is that of Exhuminator , who only played Fatal Labyrinth, and liked it. Alongside Tom Baker's Arse, only Elim has allegedly played all the polled games.

In the following week I'll hopefully get all the results I wanted, namely:

- Most played
- Most liked
- Most disliked
- Better Likes percentage

Exhuminator

Arcane
Some of them were shit, some were awesome. It's just most the roguelikes I've played were of Japanese origin, and the poll heavily skews towards Western releases. So they simply aren't listed.

I played 30 minutes or less of many of the other games listed in your poll, but that wasn't long enough to form a legitimate opinion. I owned Fatal Labyrinth and played it extensively, so I figured I had an informed opinion there.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Some of them were shit, some were awesome. It's just most the roguelikes I've played were of Japanese origin, and the poll heavily skews towards Western releases. So they simply aren't listed.

I played 30 minutes or less of many of the other games listed in your poll, but that wasn't long enough to form a legitimate opinion. I owned Fatal Labyrinth and played it extensively, so I figured I had an informed opinion there.

Oh. Are you japanese, Exhuminator-chan?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom