Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vanquish now available on PC

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks like they pulled a Bethesda.

Vanquish PC's improved framerate actually increases enemy damage
Good luck getting through God Hard now!

Vanquish on PC is harder than you remember, assuming you've got a good enough kit to bump up its framerate.

It's not the simple matter that you can't rely on slowdown for those micro-second moments of mental mustering, but rather that the enemies actually deal more damage with the boosted framerate.

As captured in the following gifs of the tutorial by NeoGAF user Wesker, the same projectiles actually hit harder with the framerate locked at 60 than they do on 30.

vanquish-pcs-improved-framerate-increases-enemy-damage-149583238551.gif

vanquish-pcs-improved-framerate-increases-enemy-damage-149583241352.gif

If you lock the framerate to 30 fps AR mode [a slow-mo feature that kicks in when you're low on health] will activate after six-seven seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a higher framerate, like 60 fps, it will activate in just one-two seconds."

Wesker added that "this can be consistently reproduced."

It's worth noting how many times Sam gets shot and staggers. It's hard to keep track of all the lasers pelting Sam in the 30 fps gif, but he appears to be shot upwards of nine times and he staggers five times.

Comparatively, in the 60 fps gif he's only shot about six times and staggers once before his AR failsafe initiates.

In both clips he's shot with the same types of projectiles.
:prosper:

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

And I thought it was just me getting older.
I've finished the game several times on PS3 on hard and that unlockable difficulty back in the days and it was waaaay easier than when I try to play it on hard now on PC. Really rustles my jimmies as I am severely butthurt about repetition nowadays.

DramaticPopcorn

And I thought it was just me getting older.
I've finished the game several times on PS3 on hard and that unlockable difficulty back in the days and it was waaaay easier than when I try to play it on hard now on PC. Really rustles my jimmies as I am severely butthurt about repetition nowadays.
https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/26/...layers-with-more-damage-at-higher-framerates/
That's exactly the content of a previous post

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Vanquish PC's improved framerate actually increases enemy damage
Valkyria Chronicles initially had the same 'bug'

Actually made the game somewhat challenging.

Why is this good again? The game looks the same as every other cover shooter ever.

It's a subversion of the cover shooter, really - you have to play to really 'get it'. It's not a popamole cover shooter in the style of Gears of War at all, although shitty game 'journalists' probably tried to play it that way when it came out.

You spend very little time behind cover. It's used mostly to trigger a leap transition during which you can activate the game's version of "bullet time" (called AR mode). The most important element of Vanquish is movement - you're encouraged to actively slide into enemy fire and use the underpinning mechanics of rolling and AR. If you're playing for score (and you should be), you have to be quick and finish the stages fast.

So, imagine that you have a big enemy coming your way who fires some big shots. You're not supposed to wait for it behind cover and then pop out and shoot it twice while it's vulnerable, you're supposed to slide around it and make your own opportunity.

The game allows for considerable player expression - you can lob grenades and shoot them in mid-air while cartwheeling around a 10 ft tall mech, all the while snapping in and out of AR (there is a short meter for it, so meter management is important) and shooting robot faces off.

Movement is very responsive. Not at all like the lumbering type of movement you usually have in TPS games. The weapons themselves are pretty cool and feel rewarding to use.

It's fast paced, it's exciting. It's basically the opposite of cover shooters.

Hard to find decent videos, but here's an example:

Might not be your cup of tea, but it's definitely in a league all of its own, and not at all what it might seem to be at first.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just finished this game on hard post-patch and i couldn't tell much of a difference between that and how normal was pre-patch, other than there being more of an upgrade penalty when you die.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just finished this game on hard post-patch and i couldn't tell much of a difference between that and how normal was pre-patch, other than there being more of an upgrade penalty when you die.
You took damage way faster in pre-patch but also regenerated health faster depending on your framerate. This made Normal harder than it should be God Hard ironically easier than it should, because you already take ridiculous amounts of damage on God Hard however health regeneration when your health is critical is normally incredibly slow, but somewhat sped up pre-patch. Obviously it's back to normal values now.

Icymad

Novice
Why is the color pallete of the previous gen so vomit inducing? The cutscenes are fine but in game it's just that piss filled color pallete of XBox 360 games lmao. Nitpicking aside, i just finished the game, it was ok, not a masterpiece like Binary Domain by any strech so i don't see myself replaying this game anytime soon (in fact i'm kinda itching for Binary Domain right now). Storytelling is the weakest point, cool things like San Francisco blowing up or President Hillary Clinton killing herself at the end don't make up for the shitty storytelling, sadly.

Vorark

Erudite
Didn't mind the colors, but fuck those QTEs in Chapter 4.

Storytelling is the weakest point, cool things like San Francisco blowing up or President Hillary Clinton killing herself at the end don't make up for the shitty storytelling, sadly.

PMjzA0E.png

VeKHj91.png

Icymad

Novice
I liked BD so much i played 2 times, i rarely see myself playing vanquish again(i rarely replay games too). Other shooters that are better(at least for me) than Vanquish : Max Payne Trilogy, Stranglehold and Quantum Break

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I expected fast paced awesomeness! what I got was a vapid story with a gameplay system intent on breaking all momentum. Maybe a sequel would've made it good, but as is, I will never touch it again. It's a hollow unfun game.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
It's a hollow unfun game.
lol retard

It's a great game, beat it three times back on the 360. Encourages movement with the cigarette-throwing mechanic, boosting obviously, all of the melee attacks etc. etc. A lot of mechanical depth based on stuff like reload cancelling, dropping grenades while coming out of the boost animation, and just going for high scores if that's your thing. I think the game's biggest problem is that God Hard has stuff doing so much damage to you that it almost reverts back to having you play the game like it's Gears of War. An example of its mechanical depth can be seen in the youtube video below.

distant

Learned
The only cover shooter I can think of that I've enjoyed because of it's gameplay. Great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom