Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll take a Switch over a G-Spot monitor any day.

If you're primarily a console gamer, that might be true. I'm primarily a computer gamer, so for me the choice is obvious. The G-Sync monitor enables me to play potentially thousands of computer games (let's say a few hundred excellent ones across every genre) at up to 120-144 FPS with absolutely no screen tearing or v-sync oddness, whereas the Switch allows you to play a couple dozen games (three of which are actually good, and only one of which is semi-exclusive) at 30-60 FPS v-synced. The most demanding of these will run at sub-1080p resolutions. In 4-5 years, there'll be a few hundred Switch games. Of those, about a dozen or so will be excellent.

You might not even have laid eyes on a monitor with a very high refresh rate. I certainly never had, until I bought one a year and half or so ago. The incredible smoothness is very dramatic and it absolutely blew me away. Yes, going back to 30 FPS is painful.

I quite enjoy the cream of the console game crop, but it's neither revolutionary nor melodramatic to suggest that Nintendo should design their games' graphics to perform satisfactorily within the parameters of their console's specifications. The Switch has been out for three months, and its flagship launch title drops down to 20 FPS occasionally even after the 1.1.1 patch, running at sub-1080p no less.

I'm sure I'd be completely fine playing BotW on the Switch. Currently however I have a Wii U that I never use except when friends and family want to play Kart or Smash, and the game's performance on the Wii U is definitely janky and off-putting. It's not unreasonable to not want to pay $360 for one console game, especially in light of the fact that the version for the console I do own runs like shit.

Nintendo constantly makes bad decisions yet their shit still sells, they must have some black magic cast on the gaming community or something. That doesn't mean I hate them entirely, as they do make some great games every now n then, BotW being one of those great games.

Not releasing Splatoon on PC is a huge missed opportunity for Nintendo. My guess is they realize it would be a good investment but their teams just aren't talented enough to make it work.

Their flagship franchises remain consistently excellent to this day, despite Mario and Zelda being over three decades old. Kart is twenty-five years old, and Smash is eighteen years old, I think. They've truly achieved something special with those four franchises, because people of all ages can play and enjoy them, and play them together in the case of Kart and Smash. Kart and Smash also scale up in difficulty considerably, particularly Smash since it allows for pure skill vs. pure skill, which is why Smash is the most popular tournament fighting game (though not considered particularly prestigious).

I've been playing Zelda games since I was a little shit just like everyone else reading this thread, starting with the original gold cart in my cousin's original American Nintendo in the 1980s (although I was too young to "get it" at the time).

flyingjohn

Arcane
Nintendo constantly makes bad decisions yet their shit still sells, they must have some black magic cast on the gaming community or something. That doesn't mean I hate them entirely, as they do make some great games every now n then, BotW being one of those great games.

Not releasing Splatoon on PC is a huge missed opportunity for Nintendo. My guess is they realize it would be a good investment but their teams just aren't talented enough to make it work.
If they actually made bad choices their products wouldn't sell,so by definition they aren't bad choices.
Splatoon on pc is a brilliant idea how to fuck up your game.The entire theme fits Nintendo and it is released on a console that has no competition in the competitive shooting genre unlike the pc.
Also why would they release a system seller on a different platform?
Especially since the money made doing that would not even cover the loss from people not buying the wii u.
Also Nintendo is the only company releasing competent 2/3d platformers left.(minus ubisoft which seems to have abandoned the rayman series)
Just look at the indie garbage and yooka laylee to see their competition.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This thread sure does attract a lot of retards. Typical console/wapanese conflux, I suppose.

If they actually made bad choices their products wouldn't sell,so by definition they aren't bad choices.

With brand recognition and a war chest as powerful as Nintendo's, they're going to sell products no matter what. Success therefore is measured by how many products they're able to sell.

Nintendo's greatest failure was the Virtual Boy, which sold just north of 1m units. By comparison, the Game Boy, released in 1989, sold 118m units. The Game Boy Advance sold 88m units, and the DS sold 154m, almost tied with the PS2 for the best-selling game console of all time.

The Wii U sold only 15m units and has been Nintendo's biggest non-portable console failure, followed remotely by the semi-failure of the Gamecube, which sold 21m units. The Wii in contrast sold 101m units, and the SNES sold 50m units years before that within a significantly smaller global video game market.

When your previous console sold 101m units during a global recession, with the competition in full swing, yet your next console sold only 15m units, then you've clearly failed. It's too early to tell yet whether the Switch will continue this trend, and since the Switch is (purportedly) a combination portable/home console, it's got a whole lot to live up to since Nintendo won't be releasing a new dedicated portable anytime soon.

Splatoon on pc is a brilliant idea how to fuck up your game.The entire theme fits Nintendo and it is released on a console that has no competition in the competitive shooting genre unlike the pc.
Also why would they release a system seller on a different platform?
Especially since the money made doing that would not even cover the loss from people not buying the wii u.

I don't even know where to begin with this shit.

Splatoon isn't a system seller in any way, shape, or form. Smash, Kart, Mario, and Zelda are system sellers. The number of people who would choose not to buy a Wii U due to Splatoon being available on PC is so small that it could most likely be counted on one hand, maybe two.

Also, if the plan was to use Splatoon exclusivity to sell Wii Us, then that plan failed because the Wii U's sales were horrible as mentioned above. Splatoon will join the many Nintendo IPs that are non-flagship.

Also Nintendo is the only company releasing competent 2/3d platformers left.(minus ubisoft which seems to have abandoned the rayman series)
Just look at the indie garbage and yooka laylee to see their competition.

While I agree that there is an ocean of shitty indie puzzle platformers out there for the PC, within that ocean exist a modest number of platformers that are as good as or better than anything Nintendo has ever made. Hollow Knight is a great example.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Console sales have been declining for a large amount of time.There won't be any more wii or ps2 sales numbers whatsoever.
Wii-u numbers are generally the same or barely below xbox one,only the ps4 is selling like hotcakes.It is a symptom of console sales decline not Nintendo failing.
No console this gen will reach ps2 or wii numbers,let alone their predecessors numbers.
What is Nintendo's failure is the shit marketing.People still thought it was a wii add on years into the console lifespan.
Just look at Nintendo sales prediction for the switch,it ain't 100 million.They just want to sell the console at profitable rate.
You can't just compare sales numbers across different console generations.

As for Splatoon,selling 5 million copies and being only outsold by Mario and Smash is no joke.The game has a cult following in Japan(hell it is their version of dota) and it is naive not to expect that it pushed some numbers although not as much as Mario.Also the game is perfect for that role because it is something new,people like new stuff and those not interested in Mario or Zelda might buy it then.

Also "if the plan was to use Splatoon exclusivity to sell Wii Us, then that plan failed because the Wii U's sales were horrible as mentioned above."is blatantly wrong.
No their plan was to make a new to ip to make money which they did,if it sells system that is an added bonus.

And i am really interested in good non Nintendo platformers.
Hollow knight is a metroidvania,which have more in common with 2d action adventure games then pure platformers.
Basically compare the original castlevanias with symphony of the night and later,they are different.
Minus rayman,there doesn't seem to be anything.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Blaine don't wait to be able to play BotW at 120 fps on CemU. Because the game is capped at 30 fps, so playing BotW at 60 fps the game is speed up 2x times, wich is really fucking weird (Link seems like he's running at 80Km/h).

I know this because I can, since version 1.7.4 of CemU, play the game at 60fps so I use RivaTurner to cap it at 31 fps.

I don't know if your system can run it, but with the newest version of CemU and the lastest BotW update the game runs better than ever on PC, wich is better better than both consoles. Even with texture packs and ReShades.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Console sales have been declining for a large amount of time.There won't be any more wii or ps2 sales numbers whatsoever.

Good. I'll be glad to see the end of the little DRM boxes someday. Sadly though, much of that loss is due to mobile gaming. The PC market share on the other hand continues to grow slowly and accounts for over 1/3 of worldwide game revenue, which is why many Japanese companies have finally started releasing their shit on PC within the last 4-5 years.

Wii-u numbers are generally the same or barely below xbox one,only the ps4 is selling like hotcakes.It is a symptom of console sales decline not Nintendo failing.

Your logic is... well, it isn't. Nintendo went from being the clear leader last gen to languishing in the gutter with Microsoft this gen, and Nintendo has something Microsoft doesn't: a large and dedicated Japanese fan base. It's true that so far, current-gen console sales are collectively about 2/3 lower than last generation's sales (84m vs. 270m), but in order to have been as successful as the Wii in proportion to the huge overall decline in sales, the Wii U would need to have sold 31m units. It sold less than half of that and its market share also plummeted by more than half, from 38% to 16%.

In other words, even when fully accounting for the overall decline in sales, the Wii U was far less successful than the Wii. The PS4 blew it out of the water. That's a clear failure, because the goal in this competetion is to maintain or increase sales and market share, not lose over half of them.

What is Nintendo's failure is the shit marketing.People still thought it was a wii add on years into the console lifespan.

Well, at least now you're admitting that Nintendo can make bad decisions and experience failure. I think there was more to it than the marketing, but the point is that it failed.

And i am really interested in good non Nintendo platformers.
Hollow knight is a metroidvania,which have more in common with 2d action adventure games then pure platformers.

Metroidvanias are still platformers, but they're a particular type of platformer (the best type, in my opinion).

Also, Nintendo doesn't release THAT many platformers. What does the Wii U have, Super Mario 3D World and maybe a couple of others? The cream of the indie crop surely has at least a few good ones that aren't Metroidvanias. I'm not big on vanilla platformers, but 20XX and Freedom Planet are supposedly pretty good. There are also difficult "roguelike" platformers for PC, mainly Spelunky, Vagante, and Caveblazers.

Keldryn

Arcane
If you're primarily a console gamer, that might be true.

I'm simply a gamer, and my primary platform changes to whatever allows me to fit some gaming into my day to day life.

I've gone through phases as primarily a PC gamer, but I confess it has been many years since a desktop PC was my platform of choice. All of my PC gaming these days is on a laptop (which was a decent mid range system 18 months ago), as it allows me to be in the room with my family rather than shutting myself away in a different room (not that I wouldn't like that sometimes...). Tried taking it with me to get in some gaming time on my train rides to and from work, but it was a bit awkward to use on the train. So I went back to my 3DS for a while, and now the Switch.

I don't do much console gaming on the TV these days either. A whole lot of games aren't something I can play with a 5 year old and 7 year old present, and then there's the whole monopolizing the TV thing.

Most of my dedicated PC gaming was when I was single and had a lot of free time. I also used to love building and tweaking my system. Now I just want things to work the first time and I don't have the patience or interest in messing around to get the best performance.

Also, most of the time I could be playing games on my PC, I'm making a game instead. So there's that too.

I'm primarily a computer gamer, so for me the choice is obvious. The G-Sync monitor enables me to play potentially thousands of computer games (let's say a few hundred excellent ones across every genre) at up to 120-144 FPS with absolutely no screen tearing or v-sync oddness, whereas the Switch allows you to play a couple dozen games (three of which are actually good, and only one of which is semi-exclusive) at 30-60 FPS v-synced. The most demanding of these will run at sub-1080p resolutions. In 4-5 years, there'll be a few hundred Switch games. Of those, about a dozen or so will be excellent.

I already own hundreds of excellent PC games that I've never played (and PS2 games, and Gamecube Games, and Xbox 360 games...) A dozen excellent games on one platform is more than enough to keep me busy for a good long while.

Also don't care if Switch games are exclusive or not. Being able to play anywhere is a huge plus in my books. Hell, I wish Nintendo would allow a few more ports from Wii U/XB360/PS3 onto the system.

The Switch has been out for three months, and its flagship launch title drops down to 20 FPS occasionally even after the 1.1.1 patch, running at sub-1080p no less.

I can't say that ever detracted from the experience for me. My time with the game has probably been 2:1 in portable mode to docked, but I've visited all of the common locations where performance takes a hit in docked mode and I thought the complaints were massively overblown even unpatched.

But what can I say... I cut my teeth on Origin games in the early 90s. The best games have always had performance hiccups. Never really bothered me. As I've said before, must be a Millenial thing. ;)

I'm sure I'd be completely fine playing BotW on the Switch. Currently however I have a Wii U that I never use except when friends and family want to play Kart or Smash, and the game's performance on the Wii U is definitely janky and off-putting. It's not unreasonable to not want to pay $360 for one console game, especially in light of the fact that the version for the console I do own runs like shit.

I've got both versions. Wii U version is perfectly playable and I'd be happy with it if I didn't have a Switch. It is outperformed by the Switch version, of course.

Keldryn

Arcane
The Wii U sold only 15m units and has been Nintendo's biggest non-portable console failure, followed remotely by the semi-failure of the Gamecube, which sold 21m units. The Wii in contrast sold 101m units, and the SNES sold 50m units years before that within a significantly smaller global video game market.

I always wonder why the GameCube is generally widely regarded as a failure, with global sales of 21.7 million units, while the Xbox is not, with global sales of 24 million units.

When the Playstation 2 sells 155 million, that difference of 2.3 million between 2nd and 3rd place really doesn't seem that meaningful. Especially when you consider that the GameCube was profitable for Nintendo throughout its entire lifespan, while the Xbox lost money for Microsoft hand over fist. Sure, Xbox established Microsoft's presence in the living room (which was its goal) but the Xbox division has generally been in the red for 16 years now.

It's too early to tell yet whether the Switch will continue this trend, and since the Switch is (purportedly) a combination portable/home console, it's got a whole lot to live up to since Nintendo won't be releasing a new dedicated portable anytime soon.

You mean other than the New Nintendo 2DS, due July 28th, right? :cool:

I think that the most likely scenario is that the Switch will become Nintendo's unified platform, but there will be a revised version of the current system, plus a stripped-down, less expensive dedicated portable that uses the same hardware. In its current incarnation the Switch is no replacement for the 3DS line. Nintendo's portables depend on kids, and the Switch is too expensive and not durable enough to replace the DS/3DS. My 3DS has fallen on the pavement from 4 or 5 feet up a few times now (most recently when my daughter was carrying it and decided to toss it into the car and missed). My Switch is still undamaged, but I don't have much faith that it could endure the same abuse that my 3DS has been through.

So in 2 or 3 years, I would not be surprised to see an exclusively portable Switch, with a better battery llife and possibly even a clamshell screen. If it never docks, then it can always run underclocked which means they can probably find a way to produce the components for it at a lower cost. The main thing will be that the same software runs on all systems, which I think was the goal for Nintendo -- to consolidate their software development.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

I always wonder why the GameCube is generally widely regarded as a failure, with global sales of 21.7 million units, while the Xbox is not, with global sales of 24 million units.

When the Playstation 2 sells 155 million, that difference of 2.3 million between 2nd and 3rd place really doesn't seem that meaningful. Especially when you consider that the GameCube was profitable for Nintendo throughout its entire lifespan, while the Xbox lost money for Microsoft hand over fist. Sure, Xbox established Microsoft's presence in the living room (which was its goal) but the Xbox division has generally been in the red for 16 years now.
I think people consider it a success because it laid the groundwork for the 360's early mass success and continued stability throughout the 7th generation. If Microsoft actually learned from the seventh generation and didn't lose or get rid of almost all of their talent, they may have been in the position where Sony is now and might have begun to earn a profit soon.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Lots of people reporting that Cemu 1.8 runs it quite well. I didn't even know there was a good Wii U emulator out there and was actually considering buying a Switch just for this game. :oops:

Higher Animal

Arcane
I think people consider it a success because it laid the groundwork for the 360's early mass success and continued stability throughout the 7th generation. If Microsoft actually learned from the seventh generation and didn't lose or get rid of almost all of their talent, they may have been in the position where Sony is now and might have begun to earn a profit soon.

I don't think the Xbox experiment has had any really good or innovative ideas, aside from the Kinect, and that didn't turn out too well.

The Xbox simplified the PC gaming experience for the console crowd, dropping consumer focused micro innovations like matchmaking, group chat, and microtransactions. The 360 was successful because it left the big ideas to Nintendo and Sony, preferring to copy and iterate. They went for money on the table when it was their moment without any guiding philosophy for the future.

The Xbox brand is simply being phased out of the marketplace for its redundancy. Nobody needs or wants one anymore.

Why is this thread in the jrpg forum? From what I understand, this game is one of the best games of this generation, and has more in common with wRPG open world games. I feel like games like this and Dark Souls should be in the general forums, where more people will see them. jRPG forum implies more typical jRPG games, ala Final Fantasy or Elminage Gothic.

So, how's it running on CEMU these days? Any updates? I really want to try this game based on how everyone raves about it, but I don't want to get a console for one game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So, how's it running on CEMU these days? Any updates? I really want to try this game based on how everyone raves about it, but I don't want to get a console for one game.

If you have at least a GTX 960 and a intel 4th generation CPU, then you can run it at 19-21 fps in Kakariko village and 25-30 fps everywhere else. So yeah it's pretty playable.

You can complete the game.

To get it running, you'll have to download the game's latest update + CemuHook.

Go to CemU reddit for the full guides and CemU Piracy reddit for link to the game and how to update it.

Why is this thread in the jrpg forum? ... jRPG forum implies more typical jRPG games, ala Final Fantasy or Elminage Gothic.

A joke maybe?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Why is this thread in the jrpg forum? From what I understand, this game is one of the best games of this generation, and has more in common with wRPG open world games. I feel like games like this and Dark Souls should be in the general forums, where more people will see them. jRPG forum implies more typical jRPG games, ala Final Fantasy or Elminage Gothic.

Horizon was billed as an ARPG so this is one I guess.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I don't think the Xbox experiment has had any really good or innovative ideas, aside from the Kinect, and that didn't turn out too well.

The Xbox simplified the PC gaming experience for the console crowd, dropping consumer focused micro innovations like matchmaking, group chat, and microtransactions. The 360 was successful because it left the big ideas to Nintendo and Sony, preferring to copy and iterate. They went for money on the table when it was their moment without any guiding philosophy for the future.

The Xbox brand is simply being phased out of the marketplace for its redundancy. Nobody needs or wants one anymore.

Xbox is a bad version of PS4.

Sony is the console with "adult" games.

Nintendo is the console with kid games.

Smartphones are the console for dumb games.

PCs used to be the advanced form of games but are now slaves to Steam and shitty SJW crap.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Steam is not much of a hindrance although it would be nice if everything was DRM-free. And the SJWs mostly focus on AAA crap or shovelware like Beamdog, which you should be avoiding anyway.

tl;dr PC is still the :obviously: platform

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PCs used to be the advanced form of games but are now slaves to Steam

It's pretty much incredible what Steam has done, every AAA game uses Steam as drm.

It's like Napoleon would conquer the whole world.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
wahx43i.gif

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Too bad the first DLC is just a few random things. Hopefully the expansion pack due later will be more substantial and not just some extra missions.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Holy Shit Nintendo want to milk people out of money, i wanted to get switch but i learned i would need to buy a 80$ controller and a 40$ lan adapter because switch does not have in-built lan card.

DragoFireheart

Too bad the first DLC is just a few random things. Hopefully the expansion pack due later will be more substantial and not just some extra missions.

The Master Mode is pretty nice for holding me over.

The game gets too easy once you start getting 3 star armor.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

The Master Mode is pretty nice for holding me over.

The game gets too easy once you start getting 3 star armor.

When I do my hard mode playthrough I'm going to try some self-imposed restrictions as well, just to preserve the difficulty for longer. The game is great fun when you're forced to be creative with encounters, using the special abilities (magnet etc) because you're not tough enough to face groups head on, unfortunately that only lasts for the first 20 hours or so when plentiful healing and lots of hearts makes it easy enough to just rush in and kill everything.

DragoFireheart

Master Mode, right in the first area:

eeLA8h21bT_Ie7GIoTzzs1u-5hH5ErHA6biHcd5J5w0.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom