Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Some comments on my NWN2 vids. Also, cam and control for you nincompoops who still bitch about it.

goblin%2Bcave.jpg

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The Camera can have it's shortcuts changed to basically emulate WoW. It's really not that bad.
I love when people who slobber over classic RPG's from the 80/90's bitch about the "horrrible" UI's of modern games.

Anyone who enjoyed Fallout's inventory system can go sit on a flagpole when bitching about NWN2 camera.

Insert Tears Here ;)
\/

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, NWN2's camera is an old and irrelevant complaint now. The game is just sluggish in a very weird way, everything has a slight delay to it and the MMO-like "lag" (getting stuck on nothing and reverting to a previous position) of individual characters is aggravating. NWN1 just feels better and more precise to control. I also prefer its aesthetics, those square-ish heads are perplexingly charming. You can only control 1 character though, sooo.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I guess it depends on how you like to use the camera. In NWN, the over the shoulder character cam worked quite well. In NWN2, it is complete garbage. Not everyone plays with a view like Baldurs Gate, so for some of us the camera is a real issue. Enough people must play that way, or skyboxes in the NWN series would be non-existent (as they were when NWN was initially released).

So, yeah, the camera blows donkey dicks.

purpleblob

Savant
I find both camera and lag issue really annoying when it comes to NWN2 - hence I haven't really spent much time on it. Only played OC, MotB and Adam Miller's Dark Waters. Graphically, a lot of people prefer NWN2 but I don't mind the block-y NWN1 graphics that much. Overall, I still much preferred NWN1 over 2.

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
People play like that? For me, NWN was always a top-down game.

It's both, really. That's why multiple camera options exist in both games. I'm one of those people who actually enjoy the skyboxes in NWN. I'm also one of those designers who utilize things like tree canopies in the forests. My PW is full of things you only see if you've got the camera at that angle (nothing required, mind you, but a lot of immersive things).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1rst person in NWN 1 looks weird because the proportions of the furniture resources in relation to the characters are all oversized (for 'ease of use' from top down). Combine that with floaty camera tethered to pc animations with some latency and i really can't recommend it except for 30 seconds of novelty on a new area. There is a reason the better 1rst person games say fuck off to 'body awareness' and assume a floating camera with momentum always perfectly in the player control; much to the annoyance of frustrated cinema directors in the industry no doubt.

Besides, you still have to use the mouse cursor to interact and movement (iirc) and that is terrible in that oblique perspective. Even if there is a alternate mouse look mode and movement, you'd need to switch back all the time, usability is more than a word.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

purpleblob

Savant
Btw, Balkoth emailed me a while back with an extensive list of fixes that he's working on. No ETA at this stage but it's gonna be a notable release when done.

Oh interesting, is it possible for you to share this on your blog or is this confidential until the fixes are in place?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Besides, you still have to use the mouse cursor to interact and movement (iirc) and that is terrible in that oblique perspective. Even if there is a alternate mouse look mode and movement, you'd need to switch back all the time, usability is more than a word.

Mouse isn't required to move. You can use WASD in character mode and get around without even touching the mouse until you need to interact with something on the screen.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Best NWN2 mods has been updated with lots of new stuff.

• Lots of lesser known and newly-released mods added.
• More screenshots added.
• Expanded UI section.
• Basic instructions added for activating KEMOanims.
kemo.jpg

• Console codes for Special Edition MotB items added.
• Included a list of adventures/campaigns that employ OLMs.
• Added a best adventures/campaigns section.
• Added links to a few interesting tech demos.

Best NWN2 mods has been updated with lots of new stuff.

• Lots of lesser known and newly-released mods added.
• More screenshots added.
• Expanded UI section.
• Basic instructions added for activating KEMOanims.
kemo.jpg

• Console codes for Special Edition MotB items added.
• Included a list of adventures/campaigns that employ OLMs.
• Added a best adventures/campaigns section.
• Added links to a few interesting tech demos.

Am I the only one who thinks having separate actions for "pitch tent" and "build campfire" is a little too suggestive of a very different, less reputable, MMO tradition? Or is "pitching a tent" just aussie slang?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or maybe, just maybe, none of it is a euphemism for anything and just describe two normal things you do while you go out camping? ;p

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, there is a Masturb. tab that isn't shown in that screenshot...

cowking

Scholar
Hey Sherry, I recommend Swordflight. The first chapter dungeon crawl is epic, too. :)

I hope that smiley is for sarcasm (I really do).

Shit review for an utterly mediocre module.

I'm a bit salty nobody's ever done a good single player d20modern module with the entire system scrapped. It's very easy to create a gun system in nwn1 (unless you want plasma projectiles or something).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have some problems getting Kornstalx's HotKeys for NWN2 to work. WHen I start it it just says that it can't detect Neverwinter Nights 2. Any solutions to this? I'm using the GoG version.

Edit:

Solved it.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Lilura do you perhaps know which UI reskin is this? Nice color choice. Found it on your blog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom