Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Keldryn

Arcane
With the recent patches, the Switch version runs pretty smoothly 90% of the time when docked. It's always run smoothly undocked. The Wii U version still has a poor frame rate; it's really noticeable after playing the Switch version for 80+ hours.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried to play some of this on cemu. It almost works, I get like 25-30 fps 90% of the time. The issue is the that the remaining 10% of the time I get one second freezes for seemingly no reason. I guess I'll wait a few months longer. Might want to pick up a controller too, the technology stack to make mouse work in this seems quite awkward.

Nice to see Cemu is already getting better performance than the Switch version. :troll:
After fixing the shader cache and moving everything to SSD, I get a solid 20-25 fps with few hitches to sub20.

It's not really good enough for me, but I am sure with some more time it will be a solid 30 fps affair.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
First DLC content information revealed:

Trial of the Sword
When you get to a certain sacred location, you can take on the new "Trial of the Sword" challenge. Face an onslaught of enemies, one wave after another. Link starts the challenge without any equipment or weapons. When all the enemies in a room are defeated, Link proceeds to the next. Clear all the trials (about 45 rooms in total), and the true power of the Master Sword awakens.

01_trialofthesword.jpg

Hero's Path Mode
This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay. Use the time tracker bar to see where you've spent the most time and where you have yet to explore. There's bound to be more adventures and maybe a shrine or two on the road less traveled.

03_hardmode.jpg

Hard Mode
In Hard Mode, enemies gradually regain health, so take them out as quickly as possible. All enemies are also powered up by one level. For example, Red Bokoblins in Normal mode are now Blue Bokoblins. Enemies can also have higher maximum levels than they would in Normal mode. Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!

04_travelmedallion.jpg

Travel Medallion
Somewhere in the world, there is a chest with a Travel Medallion inside. When you use this, you can register your current location as a fast travel point on the map. You can only register one location using the Travel Medallion.

05_majorasmask.jpg
05_midnashelmet.jpg
05_phantomarmor.jpg
05_tinglesoutfit.jpg

More Armor
There are 8 treasure chests placed around Hyrule containing armor themed after previous The Legend of Zelda titles. Watch for tips as to the whereabouts of these chests as you travel around Hyrule.

Korok Mask
The Korok Mask is also hidden in a treasure chest somewhere in the world. While wearing this mask, it shakes whenever Link is near a hidden Korok location. There are 900 Koroks hiding in Hyrule, so this should help you discover quite a few of them.

06_korokmask.jpg

DLC Pack 1 is just a taste of the content included in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass. For more information about additional features, price, and how to purchase, visit the Expansion Pass page.

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/

Overall I think is an aceptable near meh DLC. Adds a couple of interesting features. Thing is this actually costs 5 of the 20 dollars of the Expansion pack. I hope that the new dungeon (Yes, the official page says dungeon and not santuary), new story and new challenges are worthy of the 15 left.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If that thing was the remaining $20, it's be a rip off.

But since it's part 1 of the two part pack, it's acceptable.

crakkie

Arcane
Hard Mode is lamer than I had hoped. I thought there might be food/sleep survival or restrictions on eating and changing armor during combat. That might have been tedious, but a more interesting tedious than just HP bloat.

Keldryn

Arcane
Hard Mode is lamer than I had hoped. I thought there might be food/sleep survival or restrictions on eating and changing armor during combat. That might have been tedious, but a more interesting tedious than just HP bloat.

At least it solves the problem of having so many good weapons by mid-game that you constantly have to leave items behind.

It will certainly make the early game especially brutal, with your three hearts and 5 attack power weapons. More white/silver monsters sounds pretty grindy though. ;-)

Screw Phantom Armor. Put Darknuts and Iron Knuckles on the main game as enemies, damnit. Let me fight that mounted knight boss from Zelda 2!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finished this (borrowed a wii u to play it). Liked it a lot, good game. The sheer balls of a game that dares to two-shot you in the tutorial area is amazing. It really could have been great, but there's a few points that soured the experience for me. The constant mini cutscenes that play on several common actions (they're skippable, but you're swapping 5 seconds of cutscene for 1 seconds of cutscene + 2 seconds of blackness) are incredibly annoying. And while the game starts out refreshingly hard (even the easiest enemies can give you a good pounding, and you're usually outnumbered) the challenge drops to a fatally noninteresting level after a few hours. Because after a point, you'll have enough hearts and armor that nothing except the truly lategame guardians can kill you, because you can *always* just pause the game and munch down instant health food. If the game had just made eating food require an animation in real time, even if it was fairly quick, it would have been so much better. Sadly, it didn't, and so the mid and lategame are easily powered through no matter how many hits you take. The dodge and parry moves are also arguably too strong as well, as they give you a bunch of 100% risk free hits.

Like most open world games, it also suffers a bit from grindyness, at least if you for some reason care enough to get the lategame armor sets and upgrade them. Before that though, there's really no grind. And it really is refreshing that you can at any point stumble onto a super tough enemy that will hound you while shooting you with lazor explozions. And very few (if any?) quests outside the main ones have quest compasses, meaning you actually have to pay attention to environmental clues and quest descriptions.

The fact that a mainstream game would dare to be this hardcore (and by nintendo, who ostensibly make kiddie games), gives me some small hope that this could become a trend.

Also have to give kudos to the 'interactive sim' bits, such as how cooking is just a combination of holding + dropping (onto a frying pan), grass catching fire, being able to knock enemy projectiles out of the air and probably way more stuff I didn't notice.

:incline: of consoles.

I AGREE that the game is way too easy.

I started imposing house rules on myself to keep it somewhat difficult. For one, I stopped eating anything mid-combat. For two, once I filled out my endurance bar I used the sacrifice statue to reduce my hearts to 1/2. From then on, I'd only give myself a heart piece after getting 8 hylian crests. I also disabled all of the guardian skills except for the Ruto's. Then, no fairies!!!

Hopefully the Hard Mode DLC will make things better in that regard, but you can still basically out-heal any damage that's ever done to you. If you throw a bunch of raw meat into a campfire, it turns into 'cooked meat', which you can then stack into quantity of 99 in your food tab. Nothing is going to outdamage that. Game is still more difficult than any Zelda since maybe Zelda 2 , and I'm grateful for that!

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Cemu is getting there.....first dlc..... then 2nd dlc..... by the GOTY edition cemu should be running this pretty great.

gotta be patient, gotta be patient

flyingjohn

Arcane
Cemu is getting there.....first dlc..... then 2nd dlc..... by the GOTY edition cemu should be running this pretty great.

Or cemu gets abandoned and you are stuck with a buggy mess.
It happened before with closed source emulators.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Or cemu gets abandoned and you are stuck with a buggy mess.
It happened before with closed source emulators.

Have you looked at CEMU patreon.

This guy is one of the 20 top patreons making $32,896 per month. He even quit his job to work full time on this.

Besides the 1.7.5 version is quite stable and greatly improved performance. I now get constant 30 fps only lowering to 20 in settlements.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I briefly considered picking this up, but apparently it runs like a slideshow even on the Switch. It's double v-synced and often dips to 20 FPS from the already-pathetic 30 FPS @720p/900p it's designed for. I have a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync monitor, and being spoiled by games running at 120+ FPS in 1080p free from the ravages of v-sync, I can no longer suffer through that degree of peasantry, certainly not in an action game.

They should have opted for much simpler visuals and excellent performance as is the case in, say, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. I own a Wii U for those two games alone, because even people like my sister who don't care about video games enjoy playing them a bit.

This is a prime candidate to wait 4-6 years to play on an emulator.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I have played it 105 hours on Wii U, and now I'm playing it again on Switch. The Wii U version it's more rough by far. Has a lower resolution, and the frame-drops can be anoying very easily in certain areas. In the other hand, the Switch version has a higher resolution, making the image more clean and has almost no frame-drops. Is the best version of both with no doubt. The Wii U version is playable and enjoyable, but feels unpolished.

I expect the game looking a lot better on Cemu (I hope that it can increase the rendering distance of the game), but as it works on Switch is good enough to enjoy the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not paying $360 for what currently amounts to a Breath of the Wild machine built with computer parts that appear to be from 2008 when I can obtain a technically superior version for a fraction of the cost (or for free) simply by waiting.

Disgaea 5 Complete and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are the only two other Switch titles worth mentioning so far, and both are ports. We'll see how the lineup changes a year or two from now. For the past decade or so, I've typically bought cheap, gently used consoles 4-5 years after their release so that I could play the 4-5 worthwhile exclusive titles they eventually had to offer.

It just baffles me that a flagship Nintendo title makes no attempt to stay within the limitations of the hardware, Switch version or no Switch version. Nintendo is a company that dearly loves its little DRM boxes and steadfastly refuses to release any of its titles for PC, and given that Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are already acceptably modern as-is, I have a feeling I'll be content with those for a good long while and perfectly happy to wait for PC emulation of their hardware moving forward.

Keldryn

Arcane
LOL, melodramatic much?

I prefer to enjoy playing my games, rather than sitting there counting frames, but whatever floats your boat. :) I'll take a Switch over a G-Spot monitor any day.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Nintendo constantly makes bad decisions yet their shit still sells, they must have some black magic cast on the gaming community or something. That doesn't mean I hate them entirely, as they do make some great games every now n then, BotW being one of those great games.

Not releasing Splatoon on PC is a huge missed opportunity for Nintendo. My guess is they realize it would be a good investment but their teams just aren't talented enough to make it work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom