Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
They need to stop being affirmative action racists and start revealing their new game.

Anyone know what happened to the third guy from Troika? He was apparently a genius at merging system and art/design according to Boyarsky.
Jason Anderson? He's still with Turtle Rock Studio, apparently did level design on Evolve.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Project Indiana job ad: http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/972-ui-artist

UI Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a UI Artist to collaborate in the design and creation of the user interface for our next great multi-platform RPG.

This artist will be responsible for developing a ground breaking user-experience, responsibilities will include: inventing concepts, mocking up designs (static and animated), creating assets, importing them, assembling them and animating them in Unreal's UMG.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What fraction of a percent is the possibility that the game reuses the design idea from the Troika tech demo with birdseye view and first person (and gameplay accordingly)... since Unreal should be able to do that.

Quillon

Arcane
I'd say there is pretty good possibility since they teased post apoc setting but I'm not sure about the FP/TP exploration with Top Down combat; publisher would make them make it so FPP/TPP real time combat would be the main way to play the game if this is really a big budget AAA with a big publisher. So top down combat would be a secondary feature at best.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feargus quote here:

Why Video Games Are Delayed So Often

“We are constantly reevaluating our schedule,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, during an interview last year. “Constantly.”

When Urquhart and his team first started making Pillars of Eternity in the fall of 2012, they plotted a schedule that would take them to 2014. But they ran into numerous complications during production, including scope issues (the planned game was too big), story issues (their lead writer was caught up on Obsidian’s other project, South Park: The Stick of Truth, itself delayed for many reasons), and thousands upon thousands of bugs. Eventually, Obsidian bumped Pillars to March 2015.

“Our Wednesdays are now Scheduling Wednesdays,” said Urquhart. “From 2pm probably until about 5pm, I will be sitting in a conference room, and we will be looking at charts and tables and graphs, and talking to the teams about how they’re managing their schedules and their features and their resources. Where were we last week, where are we this week, where are we gonna be next week, how are things going, are we gonna make our dates, are we not gonna make dates, what are some problems, what do they need help from us.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Obsidian continues to expand its self-publishing capacity: http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/973-media-artist

Media Artist

We're looking for a creative and collaborative Media Artist to support our marketing team across a number of Obsidian brands and commercial efforts.

Over the course of our 14 years in the industry, Obsidian has sold millions of units, won a ton of awards, and, above all, we've always put our players first in every decision we've made. We want more gamers to know and experience the games we love to make – and that's where marketing comes in. Joining the Marketing team means helping make sure gamers the world over get to know Obsidian and our games!

The Media Artist position is responsible for the design and creation of brand and channel marketing materials, as well as working with and managing vendors and publisher partners where necessary. While 2D art and marketing assets will be the primary focus, we're looking for someone who has had some experience working in tandem with video production teams, as well. This position reports to the Director of Marketing, but works very closely with the Art Director and various teams' Lead Artists.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Obsidian continues to expand its self-publishing capacity: http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/973-media-artist

Media Artist

We're looking for a creative and collaborative Media Artist to support our marketing team across a number of Obsidian brands and commercial efforts.

Over the course of our 14 years in the industry, Obsidian has sold millions of units, won a ton of awards, and, above all, we've always put our players first in every decision we've made. We want more gamers to know and experience the games we love to make – and that's where marketing comes in. Joining the Marketing team means helping make sure gamers the world over get to know Obsidian and our games!

The Media Artist position is responsible for the design and creation of brand and channel marketing materials, as well as working with and managing vendors and publisher partners where necessary. While 2D art and marketing assets will be the primary focus, we're looking for someone who has had some experience working in tandem with video production teams, as well. This position reports to the Director of Marketing, but works very closely with the Art Director and various teams' Lead Artists.

Hiring basically a designer doesn't seem like a huge step though.

I recently stumbled across this lengthy (nearly two hours long) analysis of Kreia and Star Wars, and I thought it might be relevant to a few people's interests.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Who wants to fuck wrinkly beef jerky
Open at your own peril.
hPASRDy.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
TheSentinel when you talk to Kreia about Atton she'll mention that when she reads his mind he'll imagine "base lusts, certain indignities" and Atton himself confirms that he purposely fills his mind full of sick shit to freak out Jedi mindreaders and keep them from digging too deeply. When talking to Kreia about what happened at the Trayus Academy she says she "suffered indignities." Given how creepily attached Sion gets to a female exile, it seems likely to me this was the closest Avellone could confirm in a T-rated game that Sion gave her the old in-out, in-out with his crusty, cracked cock. It's a very Sith thing to do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What? Rape is a very sith thing to do?

Yes. It would be acceptable under the principles given in the Sith Code, written by David Gaider.

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are Broken.
The Force shall free me.

Pretty passionate act.

Oh, and another thing, Avellone confirmed that his inspiration for Sion was Tessai from Ninja Scroll. Tessai rapes a female ninja early in the movie (which poisons him, giving him his cracked look). :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom