Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Isn't that the mod that adds in trauma to limbs as well? I had always hoped someone would create a high quality mod of limb damage similar to Fallout: New Vegas, as well as reintroduce the degradation system to weapons and armor that was in all previous elder scrolls titles. I've no idea why Bethesda removed that part of the game, as it was a good mechanic that added an extra layer of complexity to planning longer adventures that might eat up resources and break down weapons and armor.

You mean locational damage? I think it was Deadly Combat that did it but it was buggy. Vigor has an injury system in which your character can randomly get injured (aka gets a debuff) after getting health low enough, I think. Didn't like it very much so I turned it off.

There's a mod that adds the degradation system back (Loot and Degradation?), never tried it tho.
It's shit. A bit of a pointless system. Vigor is pretty damn hard. I had to turn it off because mudcrabs would be killing me too easily. I was using YASH+Vigor+Wildcat. Anyone up for a hardcore run should try that combination. It's a bitch.

When the fuck is SKSE going to be updated? Seems like never at this point.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
>Bijin Wives.esp

The promise of "lore-friendly" was not kept... lesson learned

(luckily I married an Orc that wasn't changed because Orcs)

FIY, the author of Immersive Citizens is kind of batshit crazy (even for a modder) and uncooperative so I'm tempted to blame that too since you're using ETaC. Consider staying with Requiem's AI changes or use something else like Organic Factions (suggested in the thread, didn't use it myself)

I hugely regret picking Immersive Citizens, but I didn't know about that stuff at the time (I am pretty inexperienced with modding and it's hard to tell what to avoid and what not, as evidenced by the Bijin plugins as well as the completely superflous additions to Proudspire which just leaves an ugly clipping in my wall).

Problem is that uninstalling it doesn't seem to fix mah prawblems.

What is wrong with SKSE ? they update stuff quickly after each update..

I assume he means to Skyrim Special Edition functionality

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

What is wrong with SKSE ? they update stuff quickly after each update..
Meant the SKSE for the 64-bit update.

There has been a long, ongoing discussion on Nexus Forums and there are some interesting recent posts. In particular, a post by schlangster (one of the original SKSE developers) posted today:
Ok, to shed a bit of light on the current situation, here's a brief overview of the people that were involved with SKSE and their roles:

Ian builds the core infrastructure and decodes the fundamental game systems. Most of his work happens when the game is released. He is the essential developer behind the script extender, but as you would expect from a person that skilled, he has a job and very little time. He sticks around to do the game updates and packages releases, but he doesn't have the time to do all the grunt work that comes with adding high-level features.

Behippo handles decoding the game classes (that's lots of tedious work) and adding core script functions. He is a busy guy, too, so most of his work happens after release (at least for SKSE it was like that).

These guys do the groundwork, but they do not create mods themselves (or even play the game extensively). This makes it harder for them to come up with actual script functions to add.

The people best suited to do that part are the ones who have mods that require those functions. They know which functions and parameters they need and they have the mod set up the actually test those functions themselves, tweak them, etc. And that's how it should be IMO. We cannot expect two people who have been around for 10+ years to still do all the work. It needs people from the current generation of modders to step and contribute.

For SKSE, these roles were filled by Brendan and me. Event-based input, Papyrus-ActionScript communication, mod events, the extending Equip functions, serialization, etc. - those were things I needed for SkyUI, they did not exist yet, so I added them. I was a student at the time, so I had lots of free time and I was highly motivated. Same goes for Brendan, he added even more stuff for RaceMenu (I would list it, but I don't know the details).

In summary, it was two devs for the foundations, and two for the high-level features (though these roles are generally flexible). A good mix of people with experience but little time and vice versa.

SKSE64 development worked pretty much the same so far. Ian and behippo did their thing, the foundations are more or less done. But Brendan currently focuses on F4SE as I understand and I am no longer active now (that was clear from the start). Behippo had planned to take on the task of porting the functionality required for SkyUI as you know, but so far that did not happen. It doesn't surprise me at all, because I know that if I had to do it all over again, except with the drastically reduced amount of time I have now, I would not have been able to either. Porting existing functions is a bit less work than starting from scratch, but he still has to figure out many things for the first time because he did not originally add all of them.

So at the moment, there's not much going on. What could happen eventually:

• Brendan moves on to SKSE64.

• Behippo returns.

• I return to port SkyUI (and the required functions in the process).

• Ian gets mad and decides to do everything by himself in one hour.

• Others decide to get involved and help.
But don't count on it, and do not assume any release schedule.

Shit aint happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6cbmw9/pc_skse64_update_of_sorts/
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5206865-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse64/page-76

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
From that read, I think it's dead. Damn, I was hoping to get some more stability. Seems like Requiem is just too heavy for the mod-list I like. It's laggy compared to my YASH build. I was hoping 64-bit would fix that, but I think I might just go back to YASH.

roll-a-die

Magister
From that read, I think it's dead. Damn, I was hoping to get some more stability. Seems like Requiem is just too heavy for the mod-list I like. It's laggy compared to my YASH build. I was hoping 64-bit would fix that, but I think I might just go back to YASH.
SE is for me, laggier than Oldrim. It does however run at that pace consistently unlike Oldrim, and crashes less even without crash fixes.

Actually haven't tried SE since about 3 months after it came out, gonna set up a quick mod load out before my DnD sesh tonight.

Last edited:

If hard drive space is not an issue, you could use an Oldrim install for Requiem and Nurim for whatever else.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Its pretty clear that requiem is neither lore friendly nor an interesting challenge, you fucks grasping at straws to defend it is as amusing as always tho.
"But bro, im getting oneshotted! its so much fun." "But bro, all the arrows hit you straight in the eye, therefore they should do that much damage!".

:lol:

Skyrim is shit and it's player-base is, too.

Drax

Arcane
For what is worth, you CAN use SkyUI in the SE, you just need to tweak the flashfiles a bit to avoid the constant nagging "skse missing" boxes and remove the search box, the rest works ok.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
:lol:

Skyrim is shit and it's player-base is, too.
Skyrim is really good to introduce people to gaming. Its really simple and straightforward and fun enough if you are new to the genre or the medium. It has some decent locations too. The biggest problem it has is that its pretty shallow, but its not poorly made.
The biggest problem with using it to introduce people to the genre or gaming as a whole is that theyll be put off by more dated stuff, so there are better games you can use to that end, vampire bloodlines being one of the best.

DraQ citation needed? dont remember saying that it made sense in DraQworld that bows made so much damage because you locational damag wasnt a thing on skyrim? :lol:

typical user

Arbiter
Bloodlines is bad introduction. Think of all the trash you have to kill from Holliwood to Venture Tower, all the bugs and weirdness of that paricular Source engine. It isn't bad RPG but it is pretty bad for your first game.

If by anything, GTA San Andreas, maybe Witcher 3 or GTA V are better. Skyrim? It's boring, it's bugged as hell, it's badly designed (it masquarades as RPG but to me it's an open world dungeon crawler with very light RPG elements and filler story).

Lhynn

Arcane
Bloodlines is bad introduction. Think of all the trash you have to kill from Holliwood to Venture Tower, all the bugs and weirdness of that paricular Source engine. It isn't bad RPG but it is pretty bad for your first game.

Disagree on both accounts, first it has a strong narrative and a decent system, it traps you from the first moment and doesnt let go until a few hours have passed.

If by anything, GTA San Andreas
Good game, but one most people quit after a few hours because the story doesnt start till like 3 hours in.

maybe Witcher 3
Thats a monster of a game.

GTA V are better
Worst GTA? fuck off.

Skyrim? It's boring
Its not tho, you are biased as fuck if you dont see how it was engineered to attract new people to gaming.

it's bugged as hell
Without mods? nope.

it's badly designed
Nope, it just isnt designed for us.

(it masquarades as RPG
Not any more than witcher 3 or any of the other pseudo rpgs around.

but to me it's an open world dungeon crawler with very light RPG elements and filler story
Sure, shallow, casual and easy, but allows for experimentation.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Bloodlines is bad introduction.

It has a strong narrative and a decent system, it traps you from the first moment and doesnt let go until a few hours have passed.

I usually agree with you Lhynn - but I have no idea why you argue subjective topics.

Someone: "I didn't like the story"
Lhynn: "Wrong the Story was Good"

- Repeat for 8 more thread pages -

Lhynn

Arcane
I usually agree with you Lhynn - but I have no idea why you argue subjective topics.
Because it isnt subjective. Its not about what i like, not about my own taste. Plenty of good writing i dont care much for, plenty of shit writing i actually follow and read because its about something that interests me.
Wouldnt be on a shitty thread defending skyrims accessibility if i only praised what i like.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Isn't that the mod that adds in trauma to limbs as well? I had always hoped someone would create a high quality mod of limb damage similar to Fallout: New Vegas, as well as reintroduce the degradation system to weapons and armor that was in all previous elder scrolls titles. I've no idea why Bethesda removed that part of the game, as it was a good mechanic that added an extra layer of complexity to planning longer adventures that might eat up resources and break down weapons and armor.

You mean locational damage? I think it was Deadly Combat that did it but it was buggy. Vigor has an injury system in which your character can randomly get injured (aka gets a debuff) after getting health low enough, I think. Didn't like it very much so I turned it off.

There's a mod that adds the degradation system back (Loot and Degradation?), never tried it tho.
It's shit. A bit of a pointless system. Vigor is pretty damn hard. I had to turn it off because mudcrabs would be killing me too easily. I was using YASH+Vigor+Wildcat. Anyone up for a hardcore run should try that combination. It's a bitch.

I don't mind difficulty, so long as I can savescum like a little bitch when I get scared. As for SKSE, i'm assuming you mean for Skyrim 64 bit edition, of which I have no idea. I couldn't care less in the case of the new skyrim as the odds of it having anywhere near as many mods or variety as the original skyrim is nil. The well has been thoroughly poisoned by Bethesda's recent actions and I doubt we'll be seeing anything remotely as good as original Skyrims success in the modding scene for a long time to come.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

I don't mind difficulty, so long as I can savescum like a little bitch when I get scared. As for SKSE, i'm assuming you mean for Skyrim 64 bit edition, of which I have no idea. I couldn't care less in the case of the new skyrim as the odds of it having anywhere near as many mods or variety as the original skyrim is nil. The well has been thoroughly poisoned by Bethesda's recent actions and I doubt we'll be seeing anything remotely as good as original Skyrims success in the modding scene for a long time to come.
I think thats bit extreme, Bethesda, though they have followed the path of decline for many years now, could still save themselves. At least they admitted the things they tried in Fallout 4 were terrible and didn't work, such as the voiced protagonist and the shitty dialogue.

roll-a-die

Magister

I think thats bit extreme, Bethesda, though they have followed the path of decline for many years now, could still save themselves. At least they admitted the things they tried in Fallout 4 were terrible and didn't work, such as the voiced protagonist and the shitty dialogue.
Bethesda bows to criticism after most games they release, they never backstep on the "Advancements" they made in the last game though. They just try and do that advancement "Better"

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Damn, they are really going back to a non-voiced protagonist? At the very least, this is promising, especially if they are giving the Fallout spin off to a 3rd party again.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Doubtful, so long as Pete long conversations are boring Hines is still in charge. On top of that, with their new site to promote modding to consoles, and their most likely commitment to tricking out their modders on PCs to the console market, I highly doubt Bethesda will be anywhere near as good as they once were, which is not saying much, considering it was the modding scene that made their games so impressive. I'll admit I would absolutely love to be wrong, as I enjoyed modding morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim.

What are the odds on Bethesda deciding the voiced protagonist and settlement features were simply not fleshed out enough and deciding to double down in new horrific and horribly flawed ways rather than returning to their roots?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
On top of that, with their new site to promote modding to consoles, and their most likely commitment to tricking out their modders on PCs to the console market

Won't be happening soon with Bethesda.net being a turd compared to Nexus and Sony's heavy restrictions.
Oh, I wouldn't put it past Bethesda to try their damnedest irregardless. Hopefully the massive amount of griefing that the modders suffered through with Fallout 4 will not become a recurring trend in the future with console mods.

Drax

Arcane
After that unmoddable "perk chart" in FO4, I think they don't really give a shit anymore. Sure, as long as they keep using gaybryo they can claim to be mod-friendly, since that is one of the big features of the engine, but their actual decisions in the last years show the opposite...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom