Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Steel Division: Normandy 44 - WW2 RTS from Paradox and Eugen Systems

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried to watch that for 15-20 minutes but that kind of gameplay is way too slow and boring for me.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried to watch that for 15-20 minutes but that kind of gameplay is way too slow and boring for me.

realism is boring and slow. I understand..

EDIT: I take that back. this game is arcadey as fuck

I just watched a light tank with a 37 mm gun destroying a heavy tank from the front which has an 102 mm frontal armor.
yep!

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Arcade combat would suck, but the speed is great. When Close Combat was the shit ca 1997 it was also commented by my arcade buddies "that slow as fuck game he is playing the whole time". Which means they wanted everything to happen 10 times as fast :lol:

EDIT: I watched the videos and I don't think that the two assholes in the video could ever make a good, realistic game.

zool

Arcane
It's a shame as the engine and art look neat. Would love to see a Combat Mission game with a WEGO system in that engine.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well, in a way Graviteam tactics would look like that if they just had a proper artist. Unfortunately the russians use those blurry textures and here someone made them really well defined.

Othwerwise this Steel combat game is pretty lame.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So the game is not good enough for your autists and for us Starcraft/C&C players. Nice :D

Well, in a way Graviteam tactics would look like that if they just had a proper artist. Unfortunately the russians use those blurry textures and here someone made them really well defined.

Othwerwise this Steel combat game is pretty lame.
I wish Graviteam Tactics games would have the Wargame user interface, rather than the textures. Not that it's wonderful, but it would be a vast improvement over Graviteam Tactics' UI.

Edit: I like how they implemented a system to deter early spamming in this game with the 3-phase mechanic. Also, no helorushes! Halftrack+mg42 infantry spam is going to be hardcore if past iterations of this engine are something to go by, though.

Last edited:
Oh, so now if I pre-purchase Steel Division (they call it a pre-order, but it's a pre-purchase) I get beta access until release day. Fucking bastards... now I'll have to buy.

Not giving up on Wargame, though. I like the Cold War theme too much.

Ok, as soon as I left the office, I stepped on the gas and got home to skip going to the gym and buy and play this fucker.

Right off the bat:

- General chat is tamer than usual (everyone is still figuring things out) BUT there's people who have added the 3rd Reich flag emote (with a proper swastika, BTW, no Iron Crosses here) to their nicknames, so all hope is not lost: the community that we know and love remains. Red Dragon flag emotes also work, BTW.
- I have only played a skirmish so far, but do not underestimate phase A. If you are a cheapskate/don't assign enough troops to this phase, you will get rolled (I did).
- Everything works on much shorter distances than in Wargame. I know it's already been said, but the difference is much greater than I imagined, even if there's an awesome LoS+distance tooltip to help you with the positioning.
- Everything happens much slower than in Wargame, also, so the micro does not get as hectic.

DramaticPopcorn

Can't wait for СУКАБЛЯТЬ infantry rush :thumbsup:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I watched a guy stream this for 15-20 minutes. I correct my previous statement of this game being slow. It is not slow, it is sleep inducing.

Arcade combat would suck, but the speed is great. When Close Combat was the shit ca 1997 it was also commented by my arcade buddies "that slow as fuck game he is playing the whole time". Which means they wanted everything to happen 10 times as fast :lol:

EDIT: I watched the videos and I don't think that the two assholes in the video could ever make a good, realistic game.
yeah I tried wargame red dragon and its like playing an arcade game, cant even keep up with it-- its not fun, you cant try to use real battlefied tactics. The best strategy is to just draw a big box around a bunch of different troops and click toward the enemy.

yeah I tried wargame red dragon and its like playing an arcade game, cant even keep up with it-- its not fun, you cant try to use real battlefied tactics. The best strategy is to just draw a big box around a bunch of different troops and click toward the enemy.
And I'm guessing you either played against a new player or the computer, because that wouldn't work in a game against semi-experienced players. You'd be sending your troops to their death and then ragequit, leaving the rest of the team in the shit (I've seen it a few too many times).

Hell, it wouldn't work against me, and I have played Red Dragon for about 60 hours only!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

And I'm guessing you either played against a new player or the computer, because that wouldn't work in a game against semi-experienced players. You'd be sending your troops to their death and then ragequit, leaving the rest of the team in the shit (I've seen it a few too many times).

Hell, it wouldn't work against me, and I have played Red Dragon for about 60 hours only!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

I did it against the computer just to see if it was any better or worse than any other strategy and after I had decided I would never play the game again anyway. I will play close combat, but red dragon is in no way realistic. Not that close combat is necessarily either, but at least it more resembles the speed and pace of actual movements.

Red dragon is way too fast. I want to play a game that at least somewhat simulates what giving orders to troops might be like, and red dragon moves so fast that it more approximates asteroids. I just don't understand the point of modelling all these diverse weapon systems only to make the game play at such an unrealistic pace. It destroys the entire effort imo. why even bother modelling anything if u are going to make it play like an arcade game? I don't get it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Red dragon is way too fast. I want to play a game that at least somewhat simulates what giving orders to troops might be like, and red dragon moves so fast that it more approximates asteroids. I just don't understand the point of modelling all these diverse weapon systems only to make the game play at such an unrealistic pace. It destroys the entire effort imo. why even bother modelling anything if u are going to make it play like an arcade game? I don't get it.

I'll explain it in the simplest way.

Red Dragon is not "fast". As a RTS, it's blindingly slow. I can get even some of my MP-averse friends to play it. Point is, it's a MP-focused game. Every MP RTS is crazy crazy fast - we're talking SC2 here. Red Dragon is very very slow and deliberate compared to that.

"Yes but muh SP games where I can pause and order"

Sure, I agree, but RD is not a SP-focused game. But methinks you barely played it, you show a basic lack of knowledge of the, well, basics.

If you want a interesting SP approach there's Combat Mission: if you want a great game with a great order system and overall map there is Graviteam Tactics. Pity that even Graviteam Tactics, despite fascinating mechanics, has shit AI so you get your 200-10 kill ratios. Pity.

This does not happen even in the easiest skirmish settings, as the AI has in-built production advantages and it would simply spam bombers and destroy you. You haven't played the game. Furthermore, Red Dragon has very unrealistic things (mostly unicorns, infantry and helo rushes) but it tries to approach a somewhat "realistic" view of the contemporary empty battlefield. It's one of the few games where ATGMs have the huge role they deserve.

sser

Arcane
Developer
So is this like Close Combat, but with a RUSE-like perspective? Or with... cards? Game looks interesting (or I'm getting that damn WWII itch).

Grif

Learned
Anyone actually bought this? Seems interesting, but the early gameplay video(s) seem uninspired.

I bought it while it was still in the beta. If you are familiar with the Wargame series, it's like that but a bit slower and with no helicopters or ATGMs. Also, air combat is slower too but with somewhat more involved tactics, and AAA tends to stun rather than kill, unless used in large amounts.

There are some quality-of-life improvements regarding order queues, which you can issue in the deployment phase so that you don't have to click frantically at the start of the battle, and new orders related to moving & disembarking that take some work off your hands. Graphics are not much better than Wargame's and performance is not as good, and the interface is not as minimalistic as Wargame's, unfortunately.

It's a good game, but personally I like Wargame (and the Cold War setting, and the aesthetics) more.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I managed to keep myself interested in Wargame Red Dragon for about a week. Then I realized that for most of the time I am looking at blue rectangles slowly moving through a green field, and at best I am seeing a few pixels which I imagine to be combat vehicles or tanks.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

A sequel set in the Easter Front announced:

It seems Eugen Systems dropped Paradox (or Paradox dropped them). I guess it was not much discussed here on Codex, Eugen had mishaps from the management and experienced a long strike this year.

https://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-2-announced-moving-to-the-eastern-front/

Steel Division 2 announced, moving to the Eastern Front
The real-time strategy game will cover the Soviet's Operation Bagration with singleplayer, co-op, and 10v10 modes.

Eugen Systems has announced that it will be self-publishing Steel Division 2, a sequel to its 2017 real-time strategy game Steel Division: Normandy 44. In it, we'll move over to WWII's Eastern Front with new 'Dynamic Strategic Campaigns' set during Operation Bagration, the massive Soviet offensive that pierced the German line, eventually reaching Warsaw.

These 'dynamic' campaigns are "highly replayable," says Eugen, mapping the details of the battles on a 1:1 scale with 25 maps, over 600 units, a new art direction, "revamped combat," and an updated engine.

"Each turn equals half a day, allowing players to form their strategy and plan their next encounter, while carefully managing their units and supply lines," reads the press release. "Prospective commanders will be able to control entire army corps and subordinate battalions consisting of thousands of men." (Better read up on Soviet Deep Battle.)

Steel Division 2 will also include co-op and 10v10 multiplayer battles. We quite liked Steel Division: Normandy 44, so while there's no release date announced just yet, it's obviously of interest. You can see the announcement trailer above, or on YouTube, and check out the official site at steeldivision2.com.

Earlier this year, 21 developers at Eugen Systems went on strike for two months, but ended the work stoppage in April without negotiations or resolution. We haven't heard anything new since then, but you can read about the situation as of April here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom