Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Grubba

Arcane
I'm a fan of Merchant's youtube vids. Those legendary/epic tier lists need updating tho, came out before the last patch.

Been playing a Monsters harpy deck lately and it's been good fun, haven't taken it to ranked yet though. Was happy to discover early on that the eggs are breedable, so in goes the Monster Nest. Huge swings possible if they can't deal with the eggs, and they're usually spaced out too so you're not completely decimated by lacerate or d-bomb

Trotsky

Arcane
The one card that changed the most at least for me was Tibor Eggebracht who is worth 22 gold provided your opponent hasn't passed but he previously drew a random card into your opponent's deck as well. More often than not that random card would be enough to win the game but after the patch Tibor specifically draws the opponent a bronze card which makes him much better now even top tier. The other big changes would be no cards that can hit gold units anymore, dwarves no longer being resilient for all three rounds, and assassination actually being worthwhile. Hopefully this was the last patch and the next big change for Gwent will be the reset/open beta. I'm looking forward to a fresh start.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
I won't be shocked if there's one more balance patch before the wipe & open beta starts. CDPR has said that they're not totally happy with how weather currently works so I would assume they'll try to address it soon, although I guess that could still come in the open beta phase. I think they'll probably do something about ambush cards too, there's a few different ways they can bring the power level down (make them targetable with d-shackles, dragoons can't target ambush cards, etc..)

Been climbing the ladder like a mofo with the x-men skellige deck. I usually don't netdeck but said fuck it, I want to gain as many levels and ranks as possible before the wipe so I can maximize my closed beta rewards.

Gerrard

Arcane
Played again, first time since getting the key months ago, and now I can't even win against the AI using these starter decks that I have.

So you're telling me I'm supposed to go play against people with this shit and grind until I can get better cards?
:nocountryforshitposters:
I'd love to see the player retention stats.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kindda my thoughts from closed beta. In Hearthstone you can build a Tier 1 deck out of basic cards like Pirate Warrior or Zoo and wreck faces. It seems in Gwent it's grind-to-win. Card rarity is king. But I still like the game for some reason, I think they nailed the factor X here. Looking forward to proper launch.

Grubba

Arcane
So you're telling me I'm supposed to go play against people with this shit and grind until I can get better cards?
:nocountryforshitposters:
I'd love to see the player retention stats.

It's not a grind if you're having fun. Just go play casual, get your two free kegs a day by winning 18 rounds, and you'll starting building a collection in no time. You'll be playing against other people who are also starting out so it's not like you'll be heavily out-gunned. Monsters is good to use early on because you start with a good core group of cards and their faction passive is very strong at those lower levels. Eredin is fine to use at first, he works great with that faction passive, but eventually you'll want to get Dagon. Arguably the best leader in the game and will be until they nerf weather. Saving him for last will win you a lot of games. Old Spear Tip is another strong card that's cheap to craft as it's only a rare.

Also, investing in key neutral epics/legendaries that can go into any deck like Yennefer: Conjurer and Geralt: Igni will increase your winrate tremendously. They become a tad less useful later on as you level/rank up but are absolutely dominating at lower levels.

Couple recent Merchant vids on what to craft:

Jokzore

Arbiter
Everyone complaining about the starter decks being shit, just play Eredin.

odrzut

Arcane
So, there was a first gwent tournment for 60 000 USD. It was really good, very close games. Anyone watched it?

hivemind

Yeah I watched up to semi finals and then went to bed, it was p fun and good production values. Set was nice looking, casters were great and the host was hot and not too cringe.

Was pretty fun overall, just kinda sad that all of the qualifier people lost so quickly

Trotsky

Arcane
Were there any conspicuous looking heroes/adventurers at the tournament, cheating sub-plots, and verbal arguments which descended into brawls?

Trotsky

Arcane
Final round in the high stakes Gwent Challenger Tournament for the big hundred thousand dollar prize.

Lifecoach wins the first GWENT Challenger Tournament ($100,000). Epic DRAMA in the final game

Posted by Vulkk on May 14, 2017 in Featured, GWENT, GWENT News

GWENT-Challenger-Tournament-100k-Prize-Casters-Revealed.jpg
Share this:
mail.png

The first official Gwent Challenger Tournament is now over. It offered an incredible amount of entertainment and drama in every single game from all of the participants. Announced as the favorite to win the Tournament, German ex-Poker Professional Player Adrian “Lifecoach” Koy did not disappoint and earned his crown to become the First Gwent Challenger Champion. He won in an epic 5 games final against Noxious from Canada.

The tournament put 4 of the top players in the Gwent community against 4 professional players.

Lifecoach earned the whooping $60,000 first prize after an incredibe award-winning performance. He dominated in the quarterfinals and semi-finals, but in the final stage the underdog Noxious stood up against him very strong. In the end logic and experience (combined with a bit of luck) resulted in what was to be expected – win for the German pro.

http://vulkk.com/2017/05/14/lifecoach-wins-first-gwent-challenger-tournament/

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is still closed beta and they're doing 100k tournaments?

Also, 100k?!!! Wtf. That's Hearthstone prize level.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Final round in the high stakes Gwent Challenger Tournament for the big hundred thousand dollar prize.

Lifecoach wins the first GWENT Challenger Tournament ($100,000). Epic DRAMA in the final game

Share this:
mail.png

The first official Gwent Challenger Tournament is now over. It offered an incredible amount of entertainment and drama in every single game from all of the participants. Announced as the favorite to win the Tournament, German ex-Poker Professional Player Adrian “Lifecoach” Koy did not disappoint and earned his crown to become the First Gwent Challenger Champion. He won in an epic 5 games final against Noxious from Canada.

The tournament put 4 of the top players in the Gwent community against 4 professional players.

Lifecoach earned the whooping $60,000 first prize after an incredibe award-winning performance. He dominated in the quarterfinals and semi-finals, but in the final stage the underdog Noxious stood up against him very strong. In the end logic and experience (combined with a bit of luck) resulted in what was to be expected – win for the German pro.

Nice to see JarlFrank on the left there.

v1rus

Arcane
I really, really want to play this shit, but i just cant be arsed with it until open beta, cuz of progress reset :/

Gerrard

Arcane

Share this:
mail.png

I appreciate the whole scene setup they had for it.

Grubba

Arcane
I really, really want to play this shit, but i just cant be arsed with it until open beta, cuz of progress reset :/

Sometime on Wednesday, apparently.

Lots of changes from closed beta. It's like a new game

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
When's that story mode coming, though? I imagine they're leaving it out until launch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is the balance shit like Hearthstone where it's rock/paper/scissors?

hivemind

game got heavily changed coming into open beta but balance and even deck viability at high levels(at lower levels everything goes anyhow) were a lot better than in hearthstone before the change imo and based on my shallow glance should be even better now

Trotsky

Arcane
With the reset & the start of open beta I'll be opening nearly a hundred kegs over the weekend. I'll be a kid again at Christmas.

I'll report anything significant like the number of gold cards, premium cards, and other information that might warrant interest.

hivemind

my leggos after some 120 kegs: vamp regis, ragnarok, dupliate philipa that I forgot I already had but at least she is premium(I milled her for the powder) would have been iorveth otherwise if I wasn't retarded, that one new nilf gold that pops an emissary or ambassador

p shit overall

I also had more leggos pop up in the 5 normal cards than in the choose from 3 card

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just downloaded the open beta, seems alright so far, but I've just been playing against AI. Will there be another wipe after the game comes out of open beta though? How expensive is it compared to Hearthstone?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Will there be another wipe after the game comes out of open beta though?
Do you plan on wiping accounts in the future?
No further account progress wipes are planned, but — since GWENT is still in the beta stage of development — however unlikely, wipes are technically still possible. If we need to reset your beta progress, we will inform about that in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom