Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the worst game you played from the past 10 years?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Probably going to have to go with Civilization: Beyond Earth. I regret buying that more than anything else in the past 10 years.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
So I suddenly got the itch to play a shitty game. Found out about "Walking Dead Survival Instinct". Watching some videos about it, it's the typical shitty gameplay that is known from games like "From Dusk till Dawn" or "Road to Fiddlers Green". It's linear, it's dumb, it's quick and dirty, it's not open world (like Dying Light where you can waste a lot of time)... but that's exactly why it's perfect. It even gives me some nostalgia feelings.

So gonna check the stores... but... it's gone. Not available on any stores or steam download anymore. Wtf? Come on man...
:negative:

If they won't sell it anymore, then they could at least make it freeware...

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If anyone in this thread has had the displeasure of playing Thi4f and has not answered with Thi4f then I'm sorry to tell you but your opinion is objectively incorrect.

tindrli

Arcane
If anyone in this thread has had the displeasure of playing Thi4f and has not answered with Thi4f then I'm sorry to tell you but your opinion is objectively incorrect.

there was one great signature for Thi4f here on codex

something like

thief 4 wouldn't be good even if they shipped it with booze and hookers

something like that

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
The worst one I've completed is probably Divinity II. I really wanted to like it (I mean you can turn into a dragon and fly around, it must be great!) and even tried a second playthrough, but it's just terrible. I couldn't do it. They even fucked up the "flying around as a dragon" thing, since almost every map has a glass ceiling that in some cases is lower than the fucking things you're trying to destroy. And the combat is awful, which is kind of an issue when that's what you're doing 90% of the time. Then there's the fucked up way the levelling works (if something isn't within a few levels of you, it's either worthless (xp-wise) and harmless fodder (when a few levels lower) or murderkill turbodeath (when a few levels higher)), which renders the openness of the world utterly pointless, since you have to try and stick to whichever area matches your current level.

Outside of that, there's not many. I try to avoid anything obviously shit. The exception is probably Fallout 4, since that was a gift from a well-meaning but perhaps misguided friend. One of the few games I've played where mods are absolutely mandatory, as is skipping basically all the main content (because it's so bad). Oh wait, I know, Far Cry 2. I never did complete that. I got really tired of the outposts that would magically respawn within minutes of exterminating them, along with the psychic AI and some other shit I don't remember.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I dunno, I must say that I've probably played worse and just forgotten about them, but my first thought is actually Numenera. I can't think of anything in the last 10 years that was that bad, on hand. Other than that, probably some noname mobile game or something that never registered.

hellbent

Augur
I'd agree that Divinity II was incredibly disappointing. I loved the first 2 Divinity games as well as Original Sin. The controls for DII on PC were hot garbage. They were optimized for consoles but yet did not have controller support on the PC. :? Never could bring myself to play it for very long.

The actual worst games I've played in the past decade are indie titles, many of which came in cheap bundles and I don't even recall their names. One stands out as a major shitpile, though - Mark Leung's Revenge of the Bitch.

r68A9LT.jpg

The game was so awful and cringeworthy, but I couldn't look away for a while out of morbid curiosity to see what garbage pop culture reference, bad joke, or terrible meme would be hurled at my screen next.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Not an RPG, but Playstation All-Stars. Played it at a friends house. Just awful.

McPlusle

Savant
I've never been more personally insulted by a game than Civilization V. Honestly, I despise it so much that I can't give an impartial statement on what really would be the worst game of the past ten years. Other than Civilization V.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
X: Stillbirth. Not just in the last 10 years but in all my life. In all of time. In all dimensions, all possible universes past, present and future.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wheelman. I won't say more because this game is like a pinata but full of shit.
ah, yes, I got this game because my PC couldn't run GTA IV. Must be the most embarassing game I've played in my life. Should've picked up saints row 2.
(Good thing a year later came just cause 2, which blows GTA IV out of the water and ride on its wave)

also X: Rebirth.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Road to Fiddlers Green"

I still remember that game. After reading that it had George Romero's blessing I expected at least a decent title. Oh, how naive I was. The game is wonky as hell, but I've still beaten it. You should try a free modification for Postal 2 called Eternal Damnation. It has got zombie plus some bizzare psychotic elements as well. I finished it without any problems, so it's not one of those unpolished projects that are rotting on digital cemetery.

Vorark

Erudite
I suffered through NWN2 OC in order to play MoTB. By the time I reached the expansion I was completely burned and couldn't give a fuck anymore. :negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

there was one great signature for Thi4f here on codex

something like

thief 4 wouldn't be good even if they shipped it with booze and hookers

something like that

*cough*

I didn't play Thiaf until after my post in this thread.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't get why people buy/ download games they know are shit. People that put Fallout 3/4 or Thi4f, didn't you know it was going to be shit before you made the decision to play it? Is there just a compulsion to play every major release just get to get butthurt about it? I love the people who play Fallout 4 and say how shit it is all the while fiddling with mods and spending 100+ hours on it.

I can identify with the NWN2 OC and MotB poster as I had a somewhat similar experience and I must have fired up loads of humble bundle shit before uninstalling it 10 minutes later, but if we're talking games we've actually played for more than a couple of hours or so, I'm going to have to go with GTA5.

It was just so interminably dull. I kept on waiting for something interesting to crop up as everyone was saying how AWESUM it was, but after 10 hours or so and a couple of Trevor missions I just thought 'why am i wasting game time on something I'm not finding interesting at all in the hope it magically gets better?' How people can find this 'follow the arrows or do pointless side-activities' style of game interesting is beyond me.

laclongquan

Arcane
My quips and qualifying:

If a game is of such low quality, I would uninstall and forget about it. This "worst" game I recommend below is of some quality that worth trying, but of such level that it's a chore to play.

Which is:

UFO Extraterrestrial.

It's turnbased squadbased, troop management, inventory management, tactical and strategical game. That alone make my keep trying to play it, but its quality is....

1. The strategy layer is interesting enough, is that you can set up zones of defense on that planet. Problem is, there's nothing of content to make us care beyond strategic and tactical concern. The planet is Esperanza with nothing related to Earth, meaning we dont give a shit about continents or countries, and the devs didnt supply any shits for us to care either.

2. You can hire lots of troops to throw away if you want. But if you dislike that aspect you can hire troops of increase-quality-over-time-period and raise them in skills and ranks. a private hire at start of the game got lesser skill stat than a private hire at middle game. Of course, your intentionally-limited troop pool can get stretched so much you have to hire them early, which is a challenge. Problem is: it's not easy to mod the faces of your favours into the game.

3. The game got horror quality music backgrounds for anyone who like that shit. Me? I learn to minimize those music sounds. And it's not easy to mod your music in either. Or at least, i dont know how.

4. Although tactical ground battle got somewhat destructible terrain, the problem is the number of map is too limited. When battleship appear middle to late game, you are about memorize the maps. Although there's some mods to autorandom and increase the maps, I havent installed it because I dont care enough.

5. Once you learn to use an AP-heavy unit to scout 2/3 of its AP ahead, then return, and advance the troops to protect the scout, the game lose it horror-feel somewhat. And even with teleporter/map scanner you still wont get the curbstormp you thought it is, if you play at hardest difficulty. SO it's nice.

So yeah, the pace of the game get stalled after battleships.

I am nearly finished building the interstellar battleship to return to Earth, so the end is nigh.

So it's such a game that if you are starved for turnbased squadbased, troop management, inventory management, tactical and strategical game... you can play it.
But it's no successor to UFO afterlight, or any turnbased game you care to name. It's just a so-so game you have no other choice but to choose.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
I don't get why people buy/ download games they know are shit. People that put Fallout 3/4 or Thi4f, didn't you know it was going to be shit before you made the decision to play it? Is there just a compulsion to play every major release just get to get butthurt about it? I love the people who play Fallout 4 and say how shit it is all the while fiddling with mods and spending 100+ hours on it.

I can identify with the NWN2 OC and MotB poster as I had a somewhat similar experience and I must have fired up loads of humble bundle shit before uninstalling it 10 minutes later, but if we're talking games we've actually played for more than a couple of hours or so, I'm going to have to go with GTA5.

It was just so interminably dull. I kept on waiting for something interesting to crop up as everyone was saying how AWESUM it was, but after 10 hours or so and a couple of Trevor missions I just thought 'why am i wasting game time on something I'm not finding interesting at all in the hope it magically gets better?' How people can find this 'follow the arrows or do pointless side-activities' style of game interesting is beyond me.

They are usually shit ass retarded casuals who only pretend to only like cool games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom